Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LionQueen

Mandelic acid is amazing against blackheads and acne ...

Here's my two cents so far on Mandelic Acid,

First time I used it after waking up I noticed that If I used my finger nail on my forehead, my fingernails would actually get black stuff in them, which is damn weird, I'm guessing it was probably blackheads surfacing.

I did get a bit of IB from it but it seems to be dying down, also I did have small bumps on my forehead a while ago after using BP for ages and BHA got rid of them but also gave me cystic acne so yeah I'd rather have small bumps then cystic acne :P

I'm using Mama Lotion, certainly does make your skin feel smooth.

Anyone else had weird black stuff come out after their first use of the Mandelic Acid?

the nucelle 10 percent is too strong when i use everyother night for me it peels too much skin causing redness and excessive flaking.

when i use aha's i dp better at 7.5%. can i add a little water 25% each time i use it to make the mandelic 7.5%? i knwo it would effect ph much, so that is not a problem

I joined the boards just to post this. I have been on and off these boards for years while I had bad acne (I am a male late twenties). I tried literally everything save accutane.

Here's what tried: BP - worked for a while and destroyed my skin.

Antibiotics (minocycline) - from the derm. Worked but after I stopped acne came back.

Retin - A - made my skin red even at the lowest doses.

Tea Tree Oil - shrank zits, but more of a spot treatment.

Polypropylene Glycol - Didn't do anything.

Mandelic Acid - BINGO

Actually it was more of a combo, I use a 15% Glycolic Cleanser (generic brand Rentaire) daily.

And once a week or sometimes twice a week I use Garden of Wisdom's 15% Mandelic Serum.

I make sure to take a multivitamin and Zinc with a meal every day.

And seriously this ended half a decade of struggling with my skin. It's been 6 months and I don't have to worry about my skin any longer. I just wanted to throw this out there as I know how frustrating acne can be. If this helps anyone that would be super awesome!

im gonna give mandelic another shot. my forehead is fairly clear because thats the only place i use it, but my nose is always really dry and flaky....i stopped using on cheeks because i wasnt able to apply colorstay without the flakyness. just bought some cetaphil so im gonna give it another shot.

Great news, how long did it take to clear up?

It took a few months, but I stuck with it and didn't overdo it. I noticed some flaking at first, but I was applying mandelic every night. I tapered down to twice a week and it was fine. After the fourth month my skin was smooth.

will mandelic help with small ice pick scars? i have a big one on my nose from a cyst back in grade 9 which ill prolly just get fixed by a doctor.

i stopped using mandelic on my cheeks and chin a while ago, acne hasnt been a huge problem on cheeks because ive been applying a benzoyl gel which worked just fine but my only problem is picking.

Im still not sure about applying the Mama lotion i got (some samples), im really worried about a IB and the dryness. Has anyone had success with Mama lotion?

Hi LionQueen and Others:

I am so glad that people are still contributing to this very important thread :)

First of all I am 42 and have had acne since I was ten (including oily skin, blackheads, scarring (old pitted) and skin blotchiness.

I am SENSITIVE to everything, I have tried AHAs (Proactive Toner and Neutrogena Healthy Skin Sensitive Forumula) and still cannot used. Retinoids in products also aggravate my skin. I recently tried 2% Hyroquoine product (for lightening) and had a horrible reaction (still dealing with after 3 weeks) and had to restort with just washing my face with water and nothing else.

BHA's (SA) I do seem to tolerate a little better, but like someone else mentioned here, they REALLY make my pores very large and open, even after use over a year!!!! They make my skin look worse!!!!

What would you recommend for me. I am losing hope as I have tried so many things.

I do know in the near future I am going to get needling done for my scarring.

Couple more questions.......

I thought that Green Cream (Retina products) were permanent and if they thin the skin, how is that really beneficial?

Can you please also mention some good pH balanced cleansers 5.5 that are out there to use that will take off makeup, but are VERY gentle.

Also what is the mildest AHA I can use? I am thinking maybe a different AHA might not be as sensitive for me.

I am scared to try anything :( Please help

Thanks so much :)

Hi LionQueen and Others:

I am so glad that people are still contributing to this very important thread :)

First of all I am 42 and have had acne since I was ten (including oily skin, blackheads, scarring (old pitted) and skin blotchiness.

I am SENSITIVE to everything, I have tried AHAs (Proactive Toner and Neutrogena Healthy Skin Sensitive Forumula) and still cannot used. Retinoids in products also aggravate my skin. I recently tried 2% Hyroquoine product (for lightening) and had a horrible reaction (still dealing with after 3 weeks) and had to restort with just washing my face with water and nothing else.

BHA's (SA) I do seem to tolerate a little better, but like someone else mentioned here, they REALLY make my pores very large and open, even after use over a year!!!! They make my skin look worse!!!!

What would you recommend for me. I am losing hope as I have tried so many things.

I thought that Green Cream (Retina products) were permanent and if they thin the skin, how is that really beneficial?

Can you please also mention some good pH balanced cleansers 5.5 that are out there to use that will take off makeup, but are VERY gentle.

Also what is the mildest AHA I can use? I am thinking maybe a different AHA might not be as sensitive for me.

really? BHA does that O_O?

I plan to do it like BHA one day...AHA second day...then BHA again...and so on~ so it exfoliates outter layer and inside too

I use Dan's cleanser and AHA... they work really well on me especially the AHA is pretty mild even tho it has 10% in it

really? BHA does that O_O?

I plan to do it like BHA one day...AHA second day...then BHA again...and so on~ so it exfoliates outter layer and inside too

I use Dan's cleanser and AHA... they work really well on me especially the AHA is pretty mild even tho it has 10% in it

Hi, I just know that BHA does that to me, I don't think it happens with everone. I think that I have had clogged pores for a long time, maybe since they have been clogged for so long they are scarred and when the BHA unclogs the pores, I am left with empty holes because my pores are scarred (meaning they will not shrink ever).

Hi LionQueen and Others:

Vivant's mandelic cleanser is extremely gentle and I love it. I also think one of the Vivant mandelic products might be good for you ... perhaps the 4% toner to begin with. If your skin tolerates that well, you could eventually move up to the 9%.

Check out their products at www.betterhealthyskin.com

Lion Queen:

Thank you so much for replying to my question :)

It is appreciated very much to come up with some answers.

EDITED TO ADD: Is there is Mandelic Acid Toner that does not contain alcohol? I went to the webiste and seen SD Alcohol in this toner.

Take care :)

mandelic has a pka of 3.4.

whic hmeans a prodcyt that has a ph level of 3.4. 50% of the mandleic is active.

alot of aha prodcust have a ph of 4.

lactic and gylocic have a pka of 3.8

does that mean that lactic acid serum at ph of 4 would exfoliate more than mandelic at ph of 4.

whats the difference between mandalic acid (so far ive only read nothing but good things about this...especialle nucelle) but how is this compared to azelaic acid? i just got put on finacea by my derm but havent heard much of anything on it......

whats the difference between mandalic acid (so far ive only read nothing but good things about this...especialle nucelle) but how is this compared to azelaic acid? i just got put on finacea by my derm but havent heard much of anything on it......

I don't think there has been hardly any studies on Mandelic Acid yet. That is probably why your derm. hasn't heard anything about it.

LION QUEEN or anyone else who might know.

Lion Queen mentioned Mandlic Acid toner for me a few posts up which would be better for me because it is less concentrated and my skin is sensitive. But it has SD Alochol in it. I am looking for a lower concentrated Mandelic Acid without Alcohol in it.

Anyone have any ideas?????

Thanks for the reply timmore, but I checked into the product and it contains 8% Glycolic Acid, and I have terrible reactions to Glycolic Acid :( Bummer........

EDIT TO ADD: Is there any way that I could purchase the 10% mandelic acid (alcohol free) and buffer it down to make it weaker????

the sesederma is 8% mandelic . i have it. you could also get the nucelle and add 25% water each time you use it to make it 7.5% or add half and half water to make it 5%. i do that, sinc 10% makes me peel too much

damn my skin is really really dry lately...bad breakout, prolly because of drinking :S

havnt moisturized and ive been on and off mandelic, but tonights my second night in a row and ill never go off again lol

is it ok if i moisturize an hour or so after? i use cetephil and my skin gets really really oily, but i kinda like it that way at night because in the mornings my skin is just fine.

also does mandelic help with healing of acne scabs? i removed a clogged pore that ended up forming a scab.

ok to moisturize - wait at least 30 minutes and let the ma sink in - use neosporin on the healing scabs.

the sesederma is 8% mandelic . i have it. you could also get the nucelle and add 25% water each time you use it to make it 7.5% or add half and half water to make it 5%. i do that, sinc 10% makes me peel too much

So sorry timmoore,

I must have been looking at something else that Sesderma sold.

Can you give me the ingredients in it? It did not say online.

Also, where is the cheapest place I can get it?

Is it easy on the skin, breakouts etc........

You have been a great help and sorry again :)

Can you combine mandelic acid 10% with other products, like Retin A? Can one be used at night and one in the morning? Or do you suggest just using the mandelic acid. Also on Solodyn.