Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LionQueen

Mandelic acid is amazing against blackheads and acne ...

warning: Mandelic acid comes in various strengths. Be VERY careful when you use this stuff as you can get a chemical burn!

Yeah, thanks, we know.

The majority of this thread is spent discussing the virtues of 10% versus 15%.

Question:

So, I get crazy congested pores. I have several that are distended from repeatedly getting filled up with crap, and they look like pitted scars they're so large.

I've tried both Retin-A Micro and PC 2% BHA, neither of which did much for my blackheads. Or, I should say, Retin-A did nothing, and the BHA actually helped, but also triggered a severe inflammatory breakout. (I can, however, use it on my body with no problem....it's the only way I can keep my chest clear)

I'm currently on Duac, which helps with the inflammatory stuff, but I stopped using either Retin-A or BHA (on my face....still using BHA on my body, and Retin-A on stretch marks) because the combo of the either one plus Duac makes me look like the cryptkeeper I flake so badly.

My face is *mostly* clear of inflamed spots (It's the last few days before my period, so I'm worse than normal right now), however, my pores are getting out of control. It's to the point where I can feel the blackhead when I run my fingers over my skin. Then when I try to squeeze them (which I know I shouldn't, but feeling anything that isn't smooth drives me crazy), I get crap out, but end up irritating them and giving myself huge redmarks that last for a long time.

Anyway, the final question is: Would Mandelic Acid work for me? I think I would definitely try the alcohol free one, just to avoid the cryptkeeper returning, but I'm afraid it will either A) not work, or B)give me a bad reaction like BHA did.

Any thoughts? Similar experiences?

Headtrip Honey,

Hi, I am attaching a thread that you may have seen. http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Nucelle-p...le-t202004.html. It says what they went through and then it started to work for them, in time. I am sure you have seen Vivi's thread that got it started for me in purchasing Nucelle. Obviously, everyone has different results. From seeing you out there, (plus I always check out Addie's log), you are a pretty smart cookie. You know that everone's skin is different and has different reactions. I am sure that LQ can give you a better answer, but I don't think it would hurt to give MA a try.

Alot of the sites have money back guarantee, so if you have an immediate reaction, you can send it back. (which doesn't make it better of course! ) When you get it, they suggest you use every other day, once a day and work your way up. But you really have to use it for a bit to see results. Some didn't have an IB. I did, but I got through it, and worked on learning on how to exfoliate, which made a huge difference for me. I used MaMa lotion sample and had a reaction to it. With Nucelle I didn't and I mix the 15% and 10% now, at night or every other day, depending on my skins condition.

Good luck on making your decsion!

Thanks for the reply, Dawn.

I just added Jojoba Oil into my routine, so I'm going to test that out for a bit before I add anything new, although I am sorely tempted to get the Nucelle 10%.

However, jojoba oil MIGHT be helping purge my blackheads (I had several that were all of a sudden above ground versus below this morning and were extracted easily), so I'm hopeful. It's much less expensive than MA. But we'll see. Maybe the purging was a fluke.

I hope you get good results. I have Dan's jojoba, I really liked it for exfoliating at night. I mixed it with aloe vera and gently massaged into my skin to get the dead layer off when I started using Nucelle. I have read that it is great at getting rid of blackheads. I think it is pretty gentle for many skin types, so it should be kind to your skin.

im gonna start up mandelic again and apply my bp 30 minutes after but i dont know how long i should wait to moisturize because the reason i stopped using on my cheeks was because it would over dry my skin and i would look old with my colorstay on with flaky patches.

anyone know a good moisturizer that i can buy? i was thinking the cetaphil one but anyone know of thats good for oily skin?

also my skin seems to get really oily, specially on the nose during the day even when i moisturize.

I cant find the malic acid on garden of wisdom website...

they only have it in powder form x_x

can someone link me to the 15% itself?

thanks

im gonna start up mandelic again and apply my bp 30 minutes after but i dont know how long i should wait to moisturize because the reason i stopped using on my cheeks was because it would over dry my skin and i would look old with my colorstay on with flaky patches.

anyone know a good moisturizer that i can buy? i was thinking the cetaphil one but anyone know of thats good for oily skin?

also my skin seems to get really oily, specially on the nose during the day even when i moisturize.

Is there a way to do the MA in the am and the bp in the pm or vice verse? It will help with the dryness. try dan's moisturizer and add jojoba oil to it if you are still pretty dry. If your skin can handle babybrushing, do that too once a day. If you put the both together, wait 30 minutes to moisturize too, imo.

Ive been using my little sample of Mama lotion on my forehead and all the little bumps and spots have gone :dance: Ive now got to take the plunge and use it on the rest of my face, im just scared of a IB

I'm using NuCelle's 15% Mandelic acid. I think I will go back down to the 10%. I don't see a difference, except that it's more drying.

Anyway, it's great for inflammatory acne, but still not helping with the comedal acne on my chin :dontgetit: . That stuff needs something heavy duty....like a nuclear bomb to disintegrate it :doubt:

LionQueen, Can I use the Mama lotion and green cream together or alternating nights? I was thinking along with that to do BHA in the mornings?

nygirl1 I'm using all those 3 products you just mentioned. BHA in the morning then apply green cream or Mama Lotion At night(alternate). Been doing this for a good 2 weeks, and i see an improvement. All my bumps are surfacing and can see my face feel smoother. Hopefully after time, I'll see bigger improvements.

My entire face is smooth ever since I started using the NuCelle Mandelic Acid 10% Serum. Maybe I should go up to the 15%.... not sure.... it might help with the redmarks!

Is there a way to do the MA in the am and the bp in the pm or vice verse? It will help with the dryness. try dan's moisturizer and add jojoba oil to it if you are still pretty dry. If your skin can handle babybrushing, do that too once a day. If you put the both together, wait 30 minutes to moisturize too, imo.

well in the am i only use a liquid moisturizing soap which seems ok, skin is still kinda dry but it evens out later on. i dno if i should just use my neutrogena blackhead scrub that i use in the pm instead though.

in the pm i would prefer using ma and bp and a moisturizer if it will make my skin less dry in the am. only thing is i dont know what kind(maybe cetephil) and when to apply. ill apply ma after my workout shower, then bp 30 mins later. i found doing this really effective because the ma would exfoliate the skin great and the bp would absorb so nicely, my face tingled which felt amazing.

Ive been using ma on my forehead just to try things out for maybe 2 months now and i haven't really gotten any acne, every so often something will show up though.

I figured GoW's 15% is much stronger than viviant's 15%

I dunno...but GoW ones really gives me a itchy feeling whereas I feel almost nothing with viviant

Hope it works better!

I like the Vivant mandelic -- it's a good, clean, potent product formulation at a low pH -- but I think people can get good results with a lot of the different products out there.

hi ^^ i'm a mandelic acid lover ass well. but i have a question: how often is it recommended to use the mandelic if it's the only product i'm using next to cleanser and moisturizer? I started using 10% non alcoholic 2 weeks ago: I've been using it twice a day but it made my skin flaky. I have holidays right now so that doesn't really matter to me. So i've been wondering if using it twice would speed the healing process up or should i reduce the usage to once a day?

thanks alot.

If it's not causing redness, soreness or irritation, it's fine to use it twice a day ... just pay attention to what's going on with your skin, and back off if you start having problems.

Gentle manual exfoliation with a soft facial brush or a silica bead scrub can help with the flakiness.

Clogged pores, microzits, and blackheads are my main problem since I have kind of tackled inflamed acne.

With my regimen I don't know if I can use MA and if it might be too many topicals

but I am really interested in trying it.

I don't want to buy it without seriously considering it. Should I ask my dermatologist next time I go in?

I am going in for another PDT treatment in early August

Clogged pores, microzits, and blackheads are my main problem since I have kind of tackled inflamed acne.

With my regimen I don't know if I can use MA and if it might be too many topicals

but I am really interested in trying it.

I don't want to buy it without seriously considering it. Should I ask my dermatologist next time I go in?

I am going in for another PDT treatment in early August

Looking at your signature, I think you are already using a pretty strong combo of topicals. I'd give your current treatments at least 12 weeks before changing things around.

What are advantages of SA over Mandelic?

AHA doesn't bind to fat like SA does.

Mandelic acid is a lipophilic AHA. This question is discussed extensively elsewhere in this thread.

SA does penetrate the skin more deeply, but mandelic is less irritating, has a skin-tightening effect, exfoliates the surface cells, and is more effective against hyperpigmentation.

For the first week, I loved my MaMa lotion. My skin was super smooth, though I was still getting acne. Blackheads were definitely reduced.

But...I got impatient (a common affliction, I hear) and began using it every other night on the second week. I started peeling intensely, and to keep myself from looking like a mummy underneath my makeup, I started doing additional exfoliating with a scrub and washcloth on the off-days. It made everything red and caused a burning sensation whenever I put moisturizer on, but my skin remained smooth. I noticed though, that certain patches of skin--on my chin, cheeks, and between my eyebrows--were especially raw feeling. I decided to stop using the MaMa lotion for a week. Over the course of that week, those raw patches have turned dark and made my skin more uneven than it ever was.

The moral of the story...let the lotion run its course. I'm certain that if I hadn't over-exfoliated, my skin would be more even-toned. I have started using the MaMa lotion again, but I'm only going to use it every three days or so. I am hoping to repair the damage I did to my skin.

Is there a safe way to exfoliate? I think part of my problem is that I have hyperpigmentation problems, so even when I leave a relatively tiny pimple alone, it tends to scar; my skin reacts to any kind of trauma. But I don't want to go through the day with alligator skin. Is the month of horribly dry skin just the trade off?

I don't know what to get. Right now I am on PC 2% BHA and Clean & Clear BP 10%. I've only been on this regimen for 2.5 weeks. So far my face IS clearing up but very very slowly.

No redness, no dryness, no itching. My skin is smoother.

BUT, I am not sure that SA will eventually get the small bumps I have. It makes them smooth. In fact, when I touch my forehead bumps they feel as smooth as regular skin...

And if I am to try something new. Should I give Green Cream a try first or try MA first? They are both $$$.