Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LionQueen

Mandelic acid is amazing against blackheads and acne ...

Question for those who've known of Mandelic's success longer than I have. Once you clear away all the blackheads, is it possible to cut down on the usage to say every other day or something? In a sense, actually finding this cure is "priceless," but honestly it is expensive.

I just got my Nucelle 10% mandelic today, and I'm trying it right now to make sure I don't have a bad reaction to it, but how should I incorporate it into my regimen. I'm going to try it for it's antibacterial properties, which hopefully will help my inflamed acne:

Morning:

Johnson's head to toe baby wash

witch hazel toner

Alpha Hydrox 10% Glycolic oil-free gel

Paulas Choice 2% SA gel

Fruit of the Earth aloe (or if my skin is really dry that day- cerave moisturizer)

Night:

Johnson's head to toe baby wash

witch hazel toner

Alpha Hydrox 10% gel

Alpha Hydrox Retinol ResQ

Cerave moisturizer

I do try to wait at least 15 minutes after putting on one product before I apply the next, so that each one can sink in before the next product is applied.

Where should I fit in the mandelic? Should I alternate it with the glycolic every other day, and can it be worn underneath other products, or should it be used by itself? Thanks for your help!!!!

I would use NuCelle instead of the witch hazel, and wait 10-15 minutes before applying other products. It will help everything else penetrate better.

Question for those who've known of Mandelic's success longer than I have. Once you clear away all the blackheads, is it possible to cut down on the usage to say every other day or something? In a sense, actually finding this cure is "priceless," but honestly it is expensive.

Once you've achieved your desired results, you could try cutting back gradually on how often you use it until you find your maintenance level.

Another option might be to switch to a mandelic toner. Vivant now makes a couple of toners .... 9% and 4%, I believe. They are cheaper than the serum. I'm currently using the 9% toner because my skin tolerates it better than the 15% serum.

You can check out Vivant's entire product line at www.betterhealthyskin.com .... DY only carries a couple of the products. The man behind Vivant is Dr. James Fulton, a renowned dermatologist and one of the discoverers of Retin A.

One more question before I make a purchase. What is the difference between these serums? Are the mandelic products carried by Nucelle, DY, and Viviant the same? There is quite a big difference in pricing between the Mandelic serum sold by Nucelle (2oz for 30 dollars) and DY and Viviant (1oz for 60 dollars).

I'm also curious for any information you can supply about Nucelle brand of products. Including the other mandelic products in their line.

Lionqueen,

Have you ever tried the Mandelic cleanser from Vivants?

Tuan

I know you asked LQ, but just thought I'd toss in my 2 cents. I really like the mandelic cleanser from Vivant. I use it for folliculitis breakouts on my chest, and it works really well. Should work well on acne too, since it is antibacterial. Its not too drying either, which is nice.

Have you ever tried the Mandelic cleanser from Vivants?

no, I haven't ....

One more question before I make a purchase. What is the difference between these serums? Are the mandelic products carried by Nucelle, DY, and Viviant the same? There is quite a big difference in pricing between the Mandelic serum sold by Nucelle (2oz for 30 dollars) and DY and Viviant (1oz for 60 dollars).

I'd have to see the ingredient list on both products to give any opinions, and I don't have time to look that up myself right now.

Check the % mandelic for sure ..... are they both 15%?

I have heard lots of good things about NuCelle, but have not tried it myself. I do know that DY won't carry NuCelle because Diana feels their products contain too many unnecessary ingredients .... that's a huge part of her skin care philosophy, that products should be as simple and "clean" as possible.

however, each to their own!

I'm also curious for any information you can supply about Nucelle brand of products. Including the other mandelic products in their line.

see my answer above ..... :)

Thanks for the reply LionQueen and Willow569. I have one more question. Sorry for so many! Whats the difference between the 2% BHA gel from Paula's Choice and 15% Mandelic serum? And which is more gentle on the skin?

Bad personal news. I used to much Mandelic the other night and now parts of my cheeks are flaked out or red. This really sucks because don't blackheads begin with unexfoliated/flakey skin covering suffocated pores? I'm gently rolling my fingers over the flakes in the shower because I know what's going to happen if I don't. By the time the redness and flakes are gone I'm going to be at square 1 with all my blackheads back. I'm so depressed!

Bad personal news. I used to much Mandelic the other night and now parts of my cheeks are flaked out or red. This really sucks because don't blackheads begin with unexfoliated/flakey skin covering suffocated pores? I'm gently rolling my fingers over the flakes in the shower because I know what's going to happen if I don't. By the time the redness and flakes are gone I'm going to be at square 1 with all my blackheads back. I'm so depressed!

That is bad news. How much did you use? The stuff is like gold I use it very sparingly.

I capped top with index finger and put about 3 of those each under eyes down to bottom of nose to cover the inner cheeks. How long have you used Mandelic Roy? What brand? How much do you use and how often? I found dipping a q-tip in the bottle not wet enough. Damn.

I capped top with index finger and put about 3 of those each under eyes down to bottom of nose to cover the inner cheeks. How long have you used Mandelic Roy? What brand? How much do you use and how often? I found dipping a q-tip in the bottle not wet enough. Damn.

I've used mandelic for weeks now and could not be happier. I have the 15 percent serum from Vivant with alcohol. Maybe you need the one without alcohol??

I use about two finger fulls just on my nose and tiny area on cheeks that sometimes gets blackheads unlike my nose which always got them. Only once after my morning shower and once before I go to sleep.

Yeah the finger is the only way to apply. A cotton ball works but soaks up like 3 dollars worth of serum each and every time.

You should definitely try non-alcohol. I wouldn't give up on the mandelic yet my friend.

I'm not giving up. My problem is that this stuff gets rid of small blackheads rather quickly but leaves the big boys behind (but at least loosens them up so you can squeeze em out). Instead of just waiting for the stuff to naturally rid me of them, I end up trying to squeeze the ones left behind, then my skin is broken and red and then the alcohol makes it peel. I just need to not squeeze, but how hard is that?

I've used mandelic acid 10% from nucelle 3 times now (once daily). Can't say I'm noticing anything special yet. Seems gentle, which might not be a good sign! :D

They do recommend to use it twice daily, after two weeks of getting used to it first by applying it only once daily. I'm certainly not waiting two weeks before I go to twice daily.

Maybe 10% is too weak for me. Nucelle do say it's good enough for most. Maybe when I up it to twice daily I'll find 10% to be irritating enough :P If I don't see results soon I will move on to 15%. I don't actually have any 15% but did order samples from DY and GOW so I'll have some soon.

Actually I even tried extracting blackheads yesterday. Thought I'd give the acid some help. Well, maybe it helped, maybe it didn't. I don't think I did much, if any, damage, but... it did seem a bit futile. There are so many of them, and getting everything out is so darn difficult that... if some chemicals don't help, then extraction alone is certainly not going to do much good. But I just had to try... I hadn't extracted for years... just got very curious how it would be...

I've got nucelles face wash and anti-oxidant moisterizer too. I've used the face wash a number of times, feels good enough so far and doesn't seem to irritate my skin. Put on the moisterizer for the first time yesterday... didn't break me out or anything so I might use it again. The anti oxidant bit does sound good. I usually do a oily jojoba oil based moisterizer but I'm not certain how wise it is to apply it over the serum... might be a too messy mixture, as I don't wash the serum out. Hasn't made me break out but it might be counterproductive.

Oh, I also did a very light aspirin mask yesterday. Think exfoliating the skin from time to time might be useful. Only used one aspirin as I didn't want to risk irritating the skin too much. The trick is to use the bits to scrub gently to get some skin off.

Otherwise I've also ordered samples of green cream. The mandelic acid might not be strong enough in itself for my skin so I'm thinking instead of giving up on it eventually if that's the case, I might as well try comboing it with the green cream after a while. I've used green cream before but was not patient enough with it.

Anyway, I've only applied it three times yet... I was hoping I would see some immediate results! :D Strange how a new product can make you so impatient even if you've had blackheads for many, many years! I'll just have to be patient, stick with it and see if I see some results after a while.

I'm not giving up. My problem is that this stuff gets rid of small blackheads rather quickly but leaves the big boys behind (but at least loosens them up so you can squeeze em out). Instead of just waiting for the stuff to naturally rid me of them, I end up trying to squeeze the ones left behind, then my skin is broken and red and then the alcohol makes it peel. I just need to not squeeze, but how hard is that?

I know how hard it is not to squeeze that horribleness out of your pore but use an extractor if you can. Squeezing applies pressure to too many parts unlike the extractor which only applies it around the pore you know?

I've used mandelic acid 10% from nucelle 3 times now (once daily). Can't say I'm noticing anything special yet. Seems gentle, which might not be a good sign! :D

They do recommend to use it twice daily, after two weeks of getting used to it first by applying it only once daily. I'm certainly not waiting two weeks before I go to twice daily.

Maybe 10% is too weak for me. Nucelle do say it's good enough for most. Maybe when I up it to twice daily I'll find 10% to be irritating enough :P If I don't see results soon I will move on to 15%. I don't actually have any 15% but did order samples from DY and GOW so I'll have some soon.

Actually I even tried extracting blackheads yesterday. Thought I'd give the acid some help. Well, maybe it helped, maybe it didn't. I don't think I did much, if any, damage, but... it did seem a bit futile. There are so many of them, and getting everything out is so darn difficult that... if some chemicals don't help, then extraction alone is certainly not going to do much good. But I just had to try... I hadn't extracted for years... just got very curious how it would be...

I've got nucelles face wash and anti-oxidant moisterizer too. I've used the face wash a number of times, feels good enough so far and doesn't seem to irritate my skin. Put on the moisterizer for the first time yesterday... didn't break me out or anything so I might use it again. The anti oxidant bit does sound good. I usually do a oily jojoba oil based moisterizer but I'm not certain how wise it is to apply it over the serum... might be a too messy mixture, as I don't wash the serum out. Hasn't made me break out but it might be counterproductive.

Oh, I also did a very light aspirin mask yesterday. Think exfoliating the skin from time to time might be useful. Only used one aspirin as I didn't want to risk irritating the skin too much. The trick is to use the bits to scrub gently to get some skin off.

Otherwise I've also ordered samples of green cream. The mandelic acid might not be strong enough in itself for my skin so I'm thinking instead of giving up on it eventually if that's the case, I might as well try comboing it with the green cream after a while. I've used green cream before but was not patient enough with it.

Anyway, I've only applied it three times yet... I was hoping I would see some immediate results! :D Strange how a new product can make you so impatient even if you've had blackheads for many, many years! I'll just have to be patient, stick with it and see if I see some results after a while.

Try the fifteen percent, it's what worked on me. Also, I read you're not supposed to combine green cream and mandelic for some reason? Maybe at different times of day it's ok.

It's tricky to combine mandelic with retinoids because you can just peel and peel and peel like mad .... that was my problem.

I'm sure it can work for some people, but generally I advise using mandelic on its own. GC works well in tandem with the Paula's Choice BHAs.

I found 10% mandelic to be too mild for me, but 15% was a little too strong for parts of my face. Mixing the two together gave me the perfect balance.

Mandelic is working really good but the big blackheads on my nose don't look like they've changed a bit. I forced one out a few days ago and am recovering from a massive red/peeling catastrophe from the squeezing. I have to tell myself no more squeezing but it kind of sucks only the little ones seem to disappear so far.

Can someone please post a direct link of GOW's 10% mandelic acid serum (the samples)? I really can't find it by surfing their website.

Also, by looking at their chart (http://www.gardenofwisdom.shoppingcartsplus.com/page/page/4477650.htm) , they are saying, and I quote:

"GoW Mandelic Marine Serum 5%, 10% and 15%" - More geared towards oily, acneic skin or large pores

so I'm lost now, is GOW's serum for dry or oily skins? Or is Mandelic Marine Serum not the same as Mandelic Acid serum?

Try the fifteen percent, it's what worked on me. Also, I read you're not supposed to combine green cream and mandelic for some reason? Maybe at different times of day it's ok.

I'm on my fifth application I think.

My pores/blackheads are looking a bit smaller. They're primarily on the nose. I suppose it might be the extraction though rather than the serum so I'm almost expecting them to fill up more soon. If they don't then I'll take it as a sign the mandelic acid is doing some good stuff.

The 10% serum feels gentle enough that I think I'll want to try 15% as soon as I receive it. And when I get the green cream in the mail how am I supposed to resist trying it? :D I'll just have to incorporate it one way or another and just see how the skin reacts and take it from there.

http://www.gardenofwisdom.shoppingcartsplu...exfoliants.html

The alcohol versions might be more irritating to your skin. Same goes for 15% versus 10%.

So you have to make a decision what you want to try out. Or try them all! :D

Thanks for the link! Yes, I'm planning on buying the 10%, non-aclohol one. Im afraid that the 15% would be too much for me so ill try 10% even if i get mild results, better than nothing. Today, I was about to call for an appointment for laser treatment to get rid of my blackheads but decided to check the forums first. I'm glad I did....well I'll be glad if the mandelic acid really works on me.

Blackheads are the only problem for me, I have a lot next to my nose and every week or so, one of them becomes a very large pimple and that pimple finally disappears after a week, another blackhead becomes a very large pimple and so on. so I go sick of that and decided to make a change for my small cleansing routine.

thanks again for the link

Ok,

I just tried the Nucelle 10% serum and I can see some of my skin peeling off. Do I just leave the skin alone or am I suppose to scrub them off?

Can someone please post a direct link of GOW's 10% mandelic acid serum (the samples)? I really can't find it by surfing their website.

Also, by looking at their chart (http://www.gardenofwisdom.shoppingcartsplus.com/page/page/4477650.htm) , they are saying, and I quote:

"GoW Mandelic Marine Serum 5%, 10% and 15%" - More geared towards oily, acneic skin or large pores

so I'm lost now, is GOW's serum for dry or oily skins? Or is Mandelic Marine Serum not the same as Mandelic Acid serum?

In general, mandelic acid is an appropriate treatment for oily, acneic skin and large pores ....

but the GoW alcohol-free serum with the marine extracts is less drying than other mandelic serums.

Ok,

I just tried the Nucelle 10% serum and I can see some of my skin peeling off. Do I just leave the skin alone or am I suppose to scrub them off?

If it's really annoying you, try gentle exfoliation with a silica bead scrub or a soft brush or even a clean damp washcloth .... but DON'T scrub hard. You don't want to end up with a raw, red face.

Woke up to day 7 now. A lot of peeling. First day this has happened. I'm happy it is doing that, indicates that even 10% does pack a punch. My pores/blackheads seem to be looking better than when I started but then again, my skin has changed as a result of this treatment. Which means they might be the same/worse, but end up looking better simply because the skin around has changed.

Will be interesting to see where I'm at in another week's time. For now I'm optimistic but I've burnt myself on optimism before so gotta stay optimistic but cautious. :)