Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ryan442

Rough Hands

Hi all...

I'm a working man, I use my hands all day long working construction. And let me tell you they are no baby bottom. My hands are full of calusus, and just generally rough. I do use lotion regularly, but for any of you who know...it just does not help all that much.

Anyways, I have been doing the regimin for a while now, and generally speaking it has been working very well. But I feel that I am really irritating my face when I apply the BP and moist. with my rough hands and fingers...any suggestions that may help?

thanks

Have you ever tried Curel for your hands? I swear that stuff is heaven for dry hand skin.

But you do bring up a good point that I've not seen anyone mention before. Rough callused hands rubbing on your facial skin. I'd like to think your hands aren't so rough as to be overly irritating, but you might just consider trying the Curel on them and see if that helps.

My grandfather had the same problem with his hands and he used a thick layer of Vaseline and then put on a pair of disposable rubber gloves. Then he just wore it around the house for a while. Maybe you could combine that with your regular moisturizing. Are you able to wear gloves at work?

~Lisa~

that's a good point LisaB.

I have heard of people smearing on vaseline, and then gloves, and sleeping that way. Letting the vaseline soften the hands all night long, and the gloves keep it from getting all over the bed.

could you apply the BP with maybe a cotton ball? you could put a generous amount on the ball and move it in circular motions all over your face. or would that be less effective than using your fingers? hmm...

I wouldn't use a cottonball.

Too many cotton fibers would end up in the bp, and subsequently deposited on your face, and I doubt you could get it rubbed in thoroughly.

Bath & Body Works sells gloves with a gel lining (although I'm sure you could find the same at Wal-Mart) that help absorb the lotion into your skin. I wear them for a few hours at a time, or overnight when I can stand it. I highly recommend them for softening hands! But if you can't find them, I have even heard of people putting cotton socks over their hands after applying the lotion.

Hi all...

I'm a working man, I use my hands all day long working construction. And let me tell you they are no baby bottom. My hands are full of calusus, and just generally rough. I do use lotion regularly, but for any of you who know...it just does not help all that much.

Anyways, I have been doing the regimin for a while now, and generally speaking it has been working very well. But I feel that I am really irritating my face when I apply the BP and moist. with my rough hands and fingers...any suggestions that may help?

thanks

Try Lubriderm hand and body lotion. I have a cousin you had this same problem with dry cracked hands. He used extra virgin olive oil. You will probably need someone to help you because you will have to wrap your hands. Have someone pour the oil onto your hands and then wrap them in plastic for about 10 minutes. Let the oil soak into your skin. It will help to soften the skin. After the ten minutes are up. Rinse your hands with water, then apply your Lubriderm lotion. Be careful not to touch your face though. Good luck!! I hope this helps.

Hi all...

thanks

Try parafin wax dip. I know it's girly, but it will help.

This may be strange or stupid (not sure it'll work) but I would try 'exfoiliating' the rough skin with a pumice rock - I use this rock that my sister brought from cuba that has a bunch of holes in it to soften the bottoms of my feet. Works like a charm :) I just latter up my feet and rub in a circular motion. Maybe it would work for rough hands as well! I'm sure you could find the rock in Walmart or whatever... here's a pic for the visual learners ;)

http://fossweb.com/modules3-6/EarthMateria...s/pumice_ut.gif

Thanks for all the advice guys!

I am sure something will work...and I will just have to start taking as good care of my hands as I do my face!