Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
queengodiva

switching from differin to retin-a .04%

Hi-I looked and looked for inforamtion about this topic but after reading 200 post-I decided to just ask it again:)

I have been on Differin cream for almost 15 weeks and my skin has cleared a lot but still breaks out too much and I still get papules. I'm a frustrated and wondering if I should switch to a Retin A micro .04%. Would it be more effective or are they about the same? Also would I get an IB from using the retin a as I have already had one from the differin? Thanks!!

You might get an initial breakout, I have everytime I have increased my retin-a dose. Differin is equivalent in strength to retin-a 0.025%. So, don't go to retin-a 0.025%, because it won't be more effective than what you are using right now. I would definitley try the retin-a micro 0.04%. The micro formulation is much more effective than the cream formulations, and it is allot less irritation. It might nt even be allot more irritating than differin. Just remember to give it 3 months before you make a judgment on its effectiveness!

thanks for the replies! I am going to give it a few more weeks and then if nothing is better I will sweitch to the ram .04% as that is the only thing I have samples of. Hopefully if I have an IB it won't be too bad!!

I second Willow's advice ... just go slowly with the new stuff at first, as it does take a little while for your skin to adjust.

You guys seem to know a lot about retinoids. Would it be a good idea to alternate between RAM .04% and differin so that my skin will adjust to the retin a or just stop the differin completely? Any advice would be great! Thanks!

If you still have some differin left, I don't see why you couldn't alternate between the two for awhile ... that has worked well for me when moving up to higher-strength retinoids.

You should start a personal regimen log, Godiva ... there are a bunch of retinoid users reading each other's logs and swapping info, and it really helps. :)

Right now we are free-floating in the personal regimen log forum, but we may be getting our own sub-forum soon ....

I used differin before switching to Retin-A, and I had a TERRIBLE IB... maybe I was just really unlucky - plus it was Retin-A, not Retin-A Micro.. so that may make a difference. Good luck with whatever you do!

I switched from Differin to Retin A and didnt experience a IB now I'm almost clear..I also started takin birth control tho....

Thanks for posting your experiences! I appreciate it!

I Hate Acne-what strenght was the retin A that you started using and are you clear now? How long was the IB?

KSAF-what BC pill are you taking? I hope I have your experience:)

Lion Queen-I think I may start a personal regimen log-it sounds like a good idea:)

Thanks!