Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mman

Why is everyone so damn afraid of the sun?

Tanning initally dries up oil, but then your skin over compensates and produces more, so basically you look ok for a bit and then your skin gets worse. what's the point?! Not to mention wrinkles. Have you seen those middle aged women who look like leather handbags?! Is that attractive? i don't think so, and those are the same women who started tanning in their twenties thinking it made them look "healthy". I would rather have pale smooth skin a la Nicole Kidman, then wrinkly tanned skin like a corcodile!

That depends on who you are. If you have white, sensitive skin, then sun exposure will make you age very fast. On the other hand, my father has worked in the sun five days a week for the last 25 years with no sunscreen and has completely unwrinkled, evenly colored skin, despite being nearly 50 years old. The reason being he's damn near black, so his skin is naturally protected. If you can handle the sun exposure, go for it. If you cannot, then don't.

in recent years the ozone layer has been damaged making the sunshine more dangerous to be out in, your ancestors had less to worry about, also for a place like Australia, the natives are adapted to the climate because of darker skin, so they are protected better from the sun, whereas white european settlers, now regarded as "Australians" arent.

Hey all, well to me i think sun exposure is the actual cause of this acne kind of problem i have on my nose, its always red and gets papules, the pores are enlarged and appear oily and red.

I tan quite easy, one day about 3-4 years ago i went to the beach on a hot sumer day, i was there all day and didnt put sun screen on (stupidiest mistake i've made) because i didnt think i'd get burnt, well needless to say my neck, back, and face got burnt and peeled bad. i peeled off most of it but sort of let the nose peel of naturally. anyways needless to say not long after my nose brokeout and for the past 3-4 has been the same. i'm 99% sure this is because of the sun.

But i do live in australia, and the ozone layer is getting alot worse and you can even tell ebver year its getting hotter and hotter.

But i'm a believer in the sun even after that, i'm now on accutane and i like to get some sun in small doses, it makes my skin look healthy and sometimes i think it even aids in my skin problem.

My advice, get some sun on you, small doses of un-protected sun can help, but dont be stupid about it like i was.

Tanning initally dries up oil, but then your skin over compensates and produces more, so basically you look ok for a bit and then your skin gets worse. what's the point?! Not to mention wrinkles. Have you seen those middle aged women who look like leather handbags?! Is that attractive? i don't think so, and those are the same women who started tanning in their twenties thinking it made them look "healthy". I would rather have pale smooth skin a la Nicole Kidman, then wrinkly tanned skin like a corcodile!

That depends on who you are. If you have white, sensitive skin, then sun exposure will make you age very fast. On the other hand, my father has worked in the sun five days a week for the last 25 years with no sunscreen and has completely unwrinkled, evenly colored skin, despite being nearly 50 years old. The reason being he's damn near black, so his skin is naturally protected. If you can handle the sun exposure, go for it. If you cannot, then don't.

I agree with the first part of that, but I think it's very naive to say "If you can handle sun exponsure GO FOR IT!" because yes darker people may not show aging and sun damage physically to the extent that white people do, they are still very much at risk of skin cancer.

Why do I hide from the sun?

It just seems counterintuitive to me to expose myself to a big giant hot thing in the sky. It's not scientific or even logical, I know, but just the thought of getting burnt or tanned bothers me. It makes me think of a piece of chicken that darkens in the oven, and then I feel like I'm being cooked.

And yes, I KNOW that that's not a comparable statement and yes, I KNOW that I need Vitamin D... but I'll stick with my SPF, thank you very much.

Well for me, I won't try to avoid the sun, but I won't intentionally get under it for superficial reasons either :).

There was this show on TV I remember, I think it was extreme makeover, 20/20 or something. An old looking lady wanted a change in her skin appearance, her skin wasn't great looking to tell you the truth. She spent her entire childhood, and early adulthood having fun under the sun. Her younger sister was besides her, and she made a startling revelation... turns out she was the older sister, and the one with the bad skin was the younger of the two. Not only that, but she just was in her 30s! It was unbelievable, she looked like she was 50, but is actually two whole decades younger. I was like woah.

The show then setup a booth on a beach to take free UV pictures of peoples faces. On regular shots, everything looks fine. But with the UV shot of whats just under the skin, its a whole different picture (:D). Lots of dots, and wrinkles not only over the face, but the whole body. Thats what they were going to look like in a few decades, 1000x worst than any acne problem.

So yea, I don't know why people keep relating tanning to health. There doesn't seem anything healthy about it apart from the Vitamin D you get. Getting tans require a lot of sun, a lot of sun ages skin, and increases the chance to get various problems like tumours and cancers.... which are deadly serious stuff exactly opposite to health :).

If you're light skinned and you get a tan, your skin is telling you "I'm sick!"

You don't have to be a vampire and only come out at nights...but too much sun is NOT good for anyone. Even back in the day royalty never appeared in the sun without umbrellas, hats, or slaves providing some sort of artificial shade.

As to the pale=unattractive idea, I'm really sick of this trend. I hope tanning will go out of style soon, and I'm really glad to see celebrities like Angelina Jolie and Scarlett Johnson not giving in to this craze.

Actually the joke's on you, cuz most of the celebrities that always look tanned use spray tanning, and not actual sun. As a woman, the most significant reason for not tanning-----WRINKLES! Yeah we're all gonna get old, but I don't want to look 60, when really I'm 40.

Frankly I do not think that a naturally light blonde woman looks good when she has a dark chocolate tan...it just looks out of place, but whatever floats your boat. Still, it's about damn time that people start loving their skin color for what it is.

By the way, pale skin is in! it's a sign of health and awareness. And you don't want to have darkly tanned skin...you'll have leathery skin when you're older. Someone's gonna want to make a vest out of your face..!

One of the biggest reasons that a lot of ppl on this board should be protected while in the sun is due to the sensitizing nature of the medications they may be using...retin-a, etc.

Yup, I wouldn't be too bothered about the sun (being asian and less prone to sunburn) if I weren't on ACNE medication which puts lot of stress on the protective mechanism of the skin.

agreed, to much of anything is bad... i like to once in awhile sit in the sun for like 5 minutes, then i turn around, i keep doing that for 30 minutes.. and then i go on with my day. i havent gotten much results, lol, but im just starting again to do that (not much sun in the winter).

I'm guilty for spending too much time in the sun (when I can!) I just love how it makes me feel, and yes I do like to get a *bit* of a glow. We do have to be a lot more careful here though (New Zealand.... a fat hole in the ozone right above us). The sun is really harsh, and I even noticed the difference in Australia - I didn't burn after being in the sun all day. Melanoma is big here. As is aging and skin damage etc.

Well---

I'm allergic to UV rays, so, hah, I have a good reason to be out of the sun, but if I wasnt, I still have a feeling I would use sunscreen when I could. Being in Brazil, the sun is vicious, especially to me. Im pretty pale-skinned naturally. But I think a lot of this topic is personal preference depending on what your genetic make-up is and what you like to look like. There are people who can survive long hours in the sun and just tan it off without a mark of burn and there are people like me-- who just cant. This doesnt mean I avoid the sun, I ride horses and spend quite a bit of time in the sun but Im always using sun screen. I dont mind being pale, in fact, I prefer it over being tanned; Im not really a fan of tanned skin, but with everything, I do think there is a risk. If you want to go and tan a lot, I wouldnt try to stop you, but I do believe that tanning a lot can cause skin cancer, just because everyone who tans doesnt get it doesnt mean youre not at risk. Its, to me, like saying that everyone who smokes will get lung cancer. Thats not true, of course, but most people generally accept that the risk for lung cancer is increased if youre a smoker. :]

Just my two cents. Im not exactly sure where I was going with that-- but okay. Hah.

I see it all the time here...."Make sure your moisturizer has spf" "wear sunscreen" "try not to stay in the sun for very long" "NEVER go tanning" ect...

Come on...

Yes, If you are going to be spending hours on the beach, then you should probably wear sunscreen. But only YOU know what you can and cannot handle. While some people burn after 30 minutes in the sun, others can stay out all day and not feel any burn at all.

It's natural to be in the sun, and you are probably spending far less time in it then any of your ancestors. They didn't have protection either. It's time to stop being so damn paranoid and start living your life outside without quite so much fear.

Yes, I'm aware of skin cancer, but even if you avoid the sun and wear a high spf, you could still get it. Just like even if you don't wear any protection from the sun and spend alot of time in it all the time, you could be fine.

Some people just get screwed and others get lucky. Kinda like acne...

I'm not saying not to take any precautions, but honestly, live a little without so much worries.

Feel free to comment/flame.

I loooooooooovvvvvvvveeeeeee the sun!!! I'm always sooo much clearer in the summer and I'm in the sun most of the time. I'm actually wondering how I'll keep up with BP in the summer because I plan on spending my time outdoors (*horrible gasp* yes....TANNING!) I believe 100% in keeping my body in good health now and for the future, but seriously....I don't get sick half as often, I feel good, I'm clear, and despite what everyone says I truly believe the sun is good for me and my skin.

I live in north east england and we see the sun like 2 days a year lol, the weathers always so terribly miserable here but the rare occasion the sun does come out i'm nearly always out in it. And every summer i go on holiday somewhere nice around Europe and i'm in the sun the whole time then =]. People who get lots of warm sunshine feel lucky! :dance:

I'm the whitest person I know, LOL. Even if I'm out in the sun all day, I never tan, I just get red, not burnt--red. Dontcha know what TAN is? It's burnt, damaged skin cells...lovely. Being in the sun IS good for you, but you must wear sunscreen! If you aren't naturally dark pigmented, and you get a tan, that's damaged skin cells. No thanks.

Oh btw, my aunt and uncle tan all the time, even in the winter they are tanned, it's not even good looking tans, they look like orange leather, everybody knows it but they don't want to hurt their feelings. They go to tanning beds!

Well sadly the sun is becoming dangerous. Out of all types of cancers, melanoma is the fasted growing in numbers in the US as far as I know. Certain things put you at risk of melanomas: being light skinned, having a large amount of moles, family history of melanomas, many sunburns in your childhood (this seems to be a bigger risk factor than the sunburns you have in your adulthood, but that´s a risk factor too of course) etc.

I´m in med school and just did my dermatology internship, and the doctors were telling me about melanoma patients who were like 20, 25 years old! Of course that´s rare, but ask those people what their sun exposure is: a lot of them have been using tanning bed for like 3 times a week for a couple of years. And so many of them start using tanning beds at like 15! I know a lot of countries have age regulations on tanning beds, but some don´t.

getting wrinkles is really the least thing I´d worry about. But I do worry about that too of course lol

I'll say this much, my father is almost sixty, he has spent about the past forty years, 8 hours a day out in the hot sun (we don't really get winter here)..... he's nearly 60 and guess what? Not a single wrinkle, no skin cancer, no moles or strange things developing, nothing.

as with every cancer, there is no 100% certainty that you will get it even if a lot of the risk factors apply to you. BUT a risk factor is a risk factor, accumulate them and you´re toying with your health.

A lot of smokers don´t have lung cancer (yet). A professor of mine used to say: Sooner or later most human beings will get some sort of cancer, most of us just die of something else before we get the cancer

It´s true that there are some people who have had lots of sun exposure and don´t get many wrinkles. But that´s really the exception, and not the rule!