Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mman

Why is everyone so damn afraid of the sun?

I see it all the time here...."Make sure your moisturizer has spf" "wear sunscreen" "try not to stay in the sun for very long" "NEVER go tanning" ect...

Come on...

Yes, If you are going to be spending hours on the beach, then you should probably wear sunscreen. But only YOU know what you can and cannot handle. While some people burn after 30 minutes in the sun, others can stay out all day and not feel any burn at all.

It's natural to be in the sun, and you are probably spending far less time in it then any of your ancestors. They didn't have protection either. It's time to stop being so damn paranoid and start living your life outside without quite so much fear.

Yes, I'm aware of skin cancer, but even if you avoid the sun and wear a high spf, you could still get it. Just like even if you don't wear any protection from the sun and spend alot of time in it all the time, you could be fine.

Some people just get screwed and others get lucky. Kinda like acne...

I'm not saying not to take any precautions, but honestly, live a little without so much worries.

Feel free to comment/flame.

It's to protect the skin from aging. The biggest factor in skin aging is exposure to uv sunlight.

Derms say that incidental exposure - brief exposure, walking to your car, walking outside between classes, etc, contributes more to uv exposure over one's life-time than deliberate sun-bathing.

Adding sunscreen to make-up may be advertising hype, but I think it's harmless.

It's to protect the skin from aging. The biggest factor in skin aging is exposure to uv sunlight.

Derms say that incidental exposure - brief exposure, walking to your car, walking outside between classes, etc, contributes more to uv exposure over one's life-time than deliberate sun-bathing.

Adding sunscreen to make-up may be advertising hype, but I think it's harmless.

I understand that, but I'll admit that a tan girl looks alot better than a pale girl 95% of the time. Same goes for most tan guys.

I am so jealous of people who tan dark and evenly.

People make way too big of a deal to avoid the sun IMO. If you don't want to age early and don't mind being pale, then by all means wear sunscreen and avoid the sun. Just don't call others stupid for not doing the same as you.

If you aren't comfortable being pale and are more confident with a tan, then GO TANNING!

We all know the potential dangers of tanning and sun exposure, so choose for yourself!!

I understand that, but I'll admit that a tan girl looks alot better than a pale girl 95% of the time.

When you are young and the aging process has not begun, perhaps. That same young girl will look terrible when the aging catches up to her in a decade or two. You think acne is depressing? It's a whole lot worse to be old before your time while people who avoided the sun are getting all the compliments on how young they look.

If you just love the tanned look, get a Mystic tan, they look very natural and don't cause skin damage.

And regarding your comments on skin cancer - melanoma is one of the deadliest cancers because it easily spreads throughout the body, and your chances are GREATLY magnified by sun damage.

I see it all the time here...."Make sure your moisturizer has spf" "wear sunscreen" "try not to stay in the sun for very long" "NEVER go tanning" ect...

Come on...

Yes, If you are going to be spending hours on the beach, then you should probably wear sunscreen. But only YOU know what you can and cannot handle. While some people burn after 30 minutes in the sun, others can stay out all day and not feel any burn at all.

It's natural to be in the sun, and you are probably spending far less time in it then any of your ancestors. They didn't have protection either. It's time to stop being so damn paranoid and start living your life outside without quite so much fear.

Yes, I'm aware of skin cancer, but even if you avoid the sun and wear a high spf, you could still get it. Just like even if you don't wear any protection from the sun and spend alot of time in it all the time, you could be fine.

Some people just get screwed and others get lucky. Kinda like acne...

I'm not saying not to take any precautions, but honestly, live a little without so much worries.

Feel free to comment/flame.

Amen to that. Pretty much everything in life can casue cancer. Why heck I remember back in the 90's, people were saying "Don't eat bacon, its really bad for you." Now there is the Atkins diet were bacon is good for you. I say just go out and enjoy life and try not to worry about every little thing.

is it really worth looking temporarily better and than looking like shit when your older.. if you realy care that much about a tan.. get a self tanner.. id rather use one of those than completely damage my skin from being an idiot and tanning every week.. people seem to think just becuz they dont see the damage right away, it wont come.

Because I'm a goddamned idiot and forgot to wear sunscreen on a day trip earlier this week.

And now even Bozo's clown-make-up couldn't take the red out of my sunburn.

Ah well. That'll teach me.

About the sunscreen comments -- it's all just plain good, smart advice. It can be assumed that most people currently posting on this site are undergoing some form of treatment, whether it be the daily use of sun-sensitizing ingredients, such as BP or AHAs to different types of peels. Such treatments make the skin more vulnerable to sun damage and being that most of us here, for the greater part, care for our skin, it's not surprising why some would mention the use of SPF.

You don't need to take into consideration what these people say if you don't want to.

Hey Guys!

I wasn't really afraid of the sun until I came to this site lol. Like I've read a lotta posts that when you go on certain medications you need 2 stay out of the sun and wear a high spf sunblock etc. etc. I think it's just bcuz I'll be going to the derm for the first time at the end of June and I wanted to go in the sun and stuff because I am going to Vegas in July but will see what happens!

Franny G!

Why is everyone so damn afraid of the sun?

...Because I have a family history of melanoma. In case you don't know, while ordinary skin cancer is very treatable and rarely results in death, melanoma is far nastier and spreads quickly. It has a much higher mortality rate. Because I have had 5 moles removed for being precancerous, or "halo moles". Because I suffer from Rosacea. Because I am on Bactrim, well known for significantly reducing tolerance to sunlight.

Those are just a few of the reasons. I don't hide indoors or anything, but my skin has shown me time and time again that it doesn't like me. :wall:

Even top notch scientists can't agree on whether sunlight is beneficial or harmful. This article lends support to the importance of daily sun exposure. The amount of vitamin D needed to prevent many cancers (including skin) cannot solely be gotten from foods. This is very interesting to me as my dad did get melanoma. His melanoma, however, occured on his hip region where he never even got sun exposure.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7875140/

One of the biggest reasons that a lot of ppl on this board should be protected while in the sun is due to the sensitizing nature of the medications they may be using...retin-a, etc. Beyond that having some protection will help prevent premature aging, reduce the risk of skin cancer, etc. That does not mean hibernate in your cave until after dark, just be sensible about sun exposure. I believe that getting sun exposure is important for your health, just don't burn to a crisp like I did back in the day.

All that aside..unprotected sun exposure now causes me to break out. I mean if I am in the sun for 15 mins with no sunscreen I will have broken out by the next day. This never happened until I had all of my surgeries. Any ideas why??IPB Image

Tanning initally dries up oil, but then your skin over compensates and produces more, so basically you look ok for a bit and then your skin gets worse. what's the point?! Not to mention wrinkles. Have you seen those middle aged women who look like leather handbags?! Is that attractive? i don't think so, and those are the same women who started tanning in their twenties thinking it made them look "healthy". I would rather have pale smooth skin a la Nicole Kidman, then wrinkly tanned skin like a corcodile!

Tanning initally dries up oil, but then your skin over compensates and produces more, so basically you look ok for a bit and then your skin gets worse. what's the point?! Not to mention wrinkles. Have you seen those middle aged women who look like leather handbags?! Is that attractive? i don't think so, and those are the same women who started tanning in their twenties thinking it made them look "healthy". I would rather have pale smooth skin a la Nicole Kidman, then wrinkly tanned skin like a corcodile!

Sunlight might decrease acne because the sun kills bacteria and fungus. Excessive sun exposure will increase the aging process, but rest assured we will all end up like leather handbags sooner than we'd like. Nicole Kidman has tight skin due to multiple facelifts, acid peels and who knows what else. Like most celebrities, she's gotten more help against wrinkles than a bottle of sunblock can give.

i have to agree with the guy. Unless youre going to the beach or know you will be outside the entire day in the sun, you dont need to wear sunscreen. All of this big company bs is really annoying cause people believe it. Human body is smarter than you think. you dont need to try and make it better.

my favorite example is allergies. More people have allergies now, then ever before. I think the reason we have this is our overuse of chemicals to treat everything. we should let the body deal with it by itself sometimes, as it makes your body stronger and it learns how to defend itself from whatever caused the problem.

month ago, i got touched by a hot metal rod in the shop(the kid was cutting it and it was flaming hot still). he wasnt watching where he was going and it touched my hand. The skin on top of it came off and there was just bare underskin or w/e u call it. Everyone kept telling me to bandage it cause i would get an infection.(idk about u ppl but in my 16 yeards on this planet i have never bandaged a wound like that, i never got any infections).so i let the wound scab,for the next 2 weeks everyone was telling me how i should put neosporin on it and how it's gonna scar if idont, cause they were drilled into their heads that you should put neosporin on. 3 weeks later, the scab came off was under it was freshskin, no scar.