Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
greenplastic79

How I zapped my oily skin.

I've always had oily skin. I think I have a genetic predisposition for it. I also don't have very sensitive skin, so I could probably put engine degreaser on it if I wanted to. I also hate using lotions and creams. I don't like how BP bleaches clothing. Most of all I don't like my face feeling greasy.

I tried something interesting the other day. I had been taking zinc supplements, just cheap 50mg zinc gluconate tablets from Walmart. I put one tablet in a little water (like a tablespoon or so) and let it dissolve. It dissolved within ten minutes or so and I dabbed it on my face. I was going to bed so I didn't mind having a slightly white pastey look. Overnight the concoction really dried out my skin nicely. This might be too much for women or people with delicate skin. Perhaps depending on how oily and sensitive your skin is, you can dilute the zinc more. Like I said I don't have sensitve skin, so I diluted the tablet in only a tablespoon of water. This might be too strong for some people, so perhaps they could try diluting the zinc in a quarter cup of water or so. It also might not be a bad idea to use non-chlorinated water.

The cool part is you feel the stuff working right away. I know zinc is good for wound healing, but if you put a strong concentration on an open wound it will hurt like hell and perhaps dry out the wound too much, so be careful.

Anyway, I've only been doing this for a week or so, and it has been working great, but I'm not a dermatologist or MD. You should do your own DD before trying any treatment. Please be careful, perhaps it would be best to try the solution on an inconspicous part of your body to make sure you don't have an adverse reaction. I don't know how the solution will affect inflamed postules or cysts or anything like that, but it does dry out my oily skin.

Anyway best of luck. Not feeling like a greaseball has made it easier for me to enjoy the great weather.

Do you have any acne at all? If you do, has it been helping it? I'm thinking about trying this because i have very oily skin also, and my skin isn't sensative.

Keep posting results.

I've always had oily skin. I think I have a genetic predisposition for it. I also don't have very sensitive skin, so I could probably put engine degreaser on it if I wanted to. I also hate using lotions and creams. I don't like how BP bleaches clothing. Most of all I don't like my face feeling greasy.

I tried something interesting the other day. I had been taking zinc supplements, just cheap 50mg zinc gluconate tablets from Walmart. I put one tablet in a little water (like a tablespoon or so) and let it dissolve. It dissolved within ten minutes or so and I dabbed it on my face. I was going to bed so I didn't mind having a slightly white pastey look. Overnight the concoction really dried out my skin nicely. This might be too much for women or people with delicate skin. Perhaps depending on how oily and sensitive your skin is, you can dilute the zinc more. Like I said I don't have sensitve skin, so I diluted the tablet in only a tablespoon of water. This might be too strong for some people, so perhaps they could try diluting the zinc in a quarter cup of water or so. It also might not be a bad idea to use non-chlorinated water.

The cool part is you feel the stuff working right away. I know zinc is good for wound healing, but if you put a strong concentration on an open wound it will hurt like hell and perhaps dry out the wound too much, so be careful.

Anyway, I've only been doing this for a week or so, and it has been working great, but I'm not a dermatologist or MD. You should do your own DD before trying any treatment. Please be careful, perhaps it would be best to try the solution on an inconspicous part of your body to make sure you don't have an adverse reaction. I don't know how the solution will affect inflamed postules or cysts or anything like that, but it does dry out my oily skin.

Anyway best of luck. Not feeling like a greaseball has made it easier for me to enjoy the great weather.

i wanna try that.

so basically, you're not oily all day?

scongiundi

I've never had bad acne, just greasy skin that causes little clogged pores and blackheads. This method my be too aggresive for someone with bad acne because it really dries out your skin. It doesn't make your skin flakey though like using too much BP, it just dries it out from the inside or something. It definitely has helped clear up the spots that I have. There are other products like zinc soap and dandruff shampoos that you can use on your face. I've used head and shoulders on my face and that works too, to a lesser extent, but I don't really like putting harsh shampoos on my face because of the other chemicals in them.

wasting_days_away

In the past I'd always go to bed with BP on and wake up in the morning greasy. After just putting the zinc solution on I definitely didn't wake up greasy. I haven't been putting any on in the morning after showering because the effects seem to last for a day or so. If you wanted to wear it in daytime you could just fully dissolve and dilute it a lot and apply a thin layer.

I'd say it works much better than milk of magnesia or BP, if anything it might dry out someone's skin too much and if they have bad acne it might cause some problems. If you have bad inflamed acne make sure you dilute the zinc tablet in like a half cup of water or so, so you don't overdry your skin. I think the zinc's effect might be a lot like accutane, and I've heard people have gotten scarring because of how fast their skin dries out so people should be careful. If you dilute it enough it's probably just like putting on clear calamine lotion.

I've only been doing this for a week or so and have been busy doing other things so I haven't done a fully controlled experiment. I had a blister on my finger from working on my car and I tried some on it and like I said before it stung like hell because it sucks the moisture out of a wound. There is a correlation between how moist your skin is and how well it is able to heal. I definitely want anyone that tries this not to overdue it and to be careful if they have acne that's inflamed enough that it could scar if it dried out too quickly.

Labgirl81

Please let other people try and comment on this before you post something like that again. I'm just trying to help and am willing to answer questions, but if the moderators are just going to post things like that, then I really won't waste my time following this thread. Binding agents and powders do absorb oil, but if you actually tried what I have outlined you wouldn't have posted something so careless.

oily skin and clogged pores and blackheads are my main problem too. gonna try this.

I tried to put the zinc tablet in the water but it wasnt diluting ... what temperature should the water be at?

I tried to put the zinc tablet in the water but it wasnt diluting ... what temperature should the water be at?

The tablets I got at Walmart were Spring Valley Zinc 50 mg tablets. They dissolved at room temperature water in about 10 minutes or so. Evidentally other tablets may not dissolve so easily, you could probably crunch them up between a couple of spoons and then put them in water to speed up the process.

In the past I'd always go to bed with BP on and wake up in the morning greasy. After just putting the zinc solution on I definitely didn't wake up greasy. I haven't been putting any on in the morning after showering because the effects seem to last for a day or so. If you wanted to wear it in daytime you could just fully dissolve and dilute it a lot and apply a thin layer.

I'd say it works much better than milk of magnesia or BP, if anything it might dry out someone's skin too much and if they have bad acne it might cause some problems. If you have bad inflamed acne make sure you dilute the zinc tablet in like a half cup of water or so, so you don't overdry your skin. I think the zinc's effect might be a lot like accutane, and I've heard people have gotten scarring because of how fast their skin dries out so people should be careful. If you dilute it enough it's probably just like putting on clear calamine lotion.

I've only been doing this for a week or so and have been busy doing other things so I haven't done a fully controlled experiment. I had a blister on my finger from working on my car and I tried some on it and like I said before it stung like hell because it sucks the moisture out of a wound. There is a correlation between how moist your skin is and how well it is able to heal. I definitely want anyone that tries this not to overdue it and to be careful if they have acne that's inflamed enough that it could scar if it dried out too quickly.

oh ok thanks a lot for all that information.

does it get rid of your acne as well? i'm guessing yes? since your skin is not oily anymore.

for me, the cause of my acne is because of oil production.

So has any one tried this on their acne yet? I am tempted to do so on the ones I get on my neck, I could dilute it more and see if that will help, otherwise I am at my wits end with the zits on my neck!!!! Maybe someone else could try it too and let everyone know?

Ok, tried this last nite on several Zits on my neck and one on my jaw but I didn't dilute it as much as the post suggested just a little water and waited till it was like a watery paste then put it on, it didn't sting just was kinda itchy. Looks much better today and will continue this again every nite. I don't have sensitive skin there just on my face. But would be great if it cleared them up faster and better and no dry, dry patches like bp does. Will let you know by the end of the week how this goes, anyone else?

i couldnt get the 50mg tablets but i got these zinc cotton swabs..maybe they will work for the oil-by the way the other people doing this-is it helping with the oil..thats all im concerned about

What made you think of trying this?

Before using zinc, how long would say it took for oil droplets to appear on your skin?

I won't use Head and Shoulders on my face and before you say anything I did use it on my face and had a bad reaction to it, took me a week or better to get that cleared up and left me with uber dry patches on my skin. Besides I like the pills better.

I hope more people try this and post their results. It's such a cheap solution that it's a shame I didn't figure it out ten years ago. I believe the bottle of pills I bought only cost $3, and that's enough for several months. I've been eating total garbage lately and my skin still isn't getting oily.

so is this stuff really working for oil? like all day? cause i have EXTREMELY oily skin and im afraid that you guys only have slightly oily and its not going to do jack for me.

yes, please, everyone post your results because i really want to try this too. I mean, oil production is the cause of a lot of people's acne right? so it only makes sense that if you dry ur skin out, then less acne will form.

so i got the right kind of zinc..i tried disolving it and it doesnt really disovle..it just sits on the bottom even after i stir it-so when i pour it out onto my palm its water and the zinc stays in the glass-what am i supposed to do? oh and its not pastey white at all-i think im doing something wrong

haydini, try crushing the pill or pills before you add water then you should be able to get the right amout of water to crushed tabs to suit you. Thats what I found is easier for me that way you can make it as thick or as thin as you want.

Ok, I have tried this for the last 3 nites and I can say I think that it is helping to heal the zits I have on my neck faster than anything else I have tried. I don't know about the oily skin problem, never had to worry about that. All I do is crush 2 tabs of 50mg's of zinc with enough water to make a thick paste and put it on the zits and let dry, dries in minutes flakes a little in the nite but don't care about that and it seems to wash off very easily in the am, its not red or dry either. The test to see if this really works is if it clears them for me quickly. I will update with the progress and just keeping my fingers crossed that this works.