Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Seriously though, would you want someone to approach you in good spirits to discuss your skin - if they had acne too?

Does this condition bind people... beyond just an internet site?

I saw some guy at Gator's today and he had noticable acne, and I actually thought about talking to him about it. I didn't - I ordered another Yeungling, but the thought remained. I wonder if he would have blown me off as a prick, or if he would have appreciated it.

I honestly wouldn't be turned off if someone asked me about what I had gone through, upon seeing my face. Assuming they weren't being the typical, beautiful prick.

Sure we all discuss our feelings on here, but would you be as open in person... from one sufferer to another?

yeah...i get that feeling whenever i see somebody else with acne...there are universal emotions that create this instant connection. but the thing is...how do you even know they're suffering? there are people that have acne but couldn't give a shit about it...so if you walked up to them and started talking about their skin...they might be totally offended. i doubt that would happen though...you find those people very rarely.

I have a friend with quite bad acne, but we didn't become friends because of it. I've actually never talked to her about it. I think I'd be too afraid of upsetting her, even though I have acne aswell. Some people are probably more openly cool about than others tho. It's a tricky subject.

this one girl i was friends with came up to me one day and said 'i noticed your acne was really bad what are you doing with it' and started to tell me that she had it that bad at one time and the stuff she did to keep it undercontrol(she did have some redmarks as a little evidence) I appreciated her caring about it and telling me it broke her heart to see someone so pretty have no self esteem and all that, but I couldn't help but being a little angry with her for it. I don't know why, its not like she did it in front of people or anything. None of the stuff she said wasnt anything I wasn't already doing, but I just got kind of got offended like she thought i hadnt tried anything. It was a weird experience I got all emotional and stressful tear style when i was like I KNOW IVE TRIED ALL THAT AND NOTHING WORKS. But I do wish I was close with someone with my exact condition and so we could put on silly homemade masks and knowing how fustratingly long it takes just to cover it to go out in public, and not get mad at me for not wanting to spend 2 hours getting ready for a 5 minute trip to walmart.

i

this one girl i was friends with came up to me one day and said 'i noticed your acne was really bad what are you doing with it' and started to tell me that she had it that bad at one time and the stuff she did to keep it undercontrol(she did have some redmarks as a little evidence) I appreciated her caring about it and telling me it broke her heart to see someone so pretty have no self esteem and all that, but I couldn't help but being a little angry with her for it. I don't know why, its not like she did it in front of people or anything. None of the stuff she said wasnt anything I wasn't already doing, but I just got kind of got offended like she thought i hadnt tried anything. It was a weird experience I got all emotional and stressful tear style when i was like I KNOW IVE TRIED ALL THAT AND NOTHING WORKS. But I do wish I was close with someone with my exact condition and so we could put on silly homemade masks and knowing how fustratingly long it takes just to cover it to go out in public, and not get mad at me for not wanting to spend 2 hours getting ready for a 5 minute trip to walmart.

Maybe I'm alone in this, but I had a guy that I became good friends with in high school that first approached me because of a bad acne outbreak I had (he still had active acne). Of course, he was in my AP physics class and we already knew each other anyway, but still. I never felt like an outcast, or like there was anything wrong with me. I had an infection, terribly exacerbated by an allergic response, and I didn't consider it any differently than any other health problem/injury, like a broken leg, bad burn, or chicken pox outbreak. I certainly never considered it to be some kind of sacred cow, the 800 pount gorilla in the room that no one wants to admit exists. That just seems silly to me. As long as no one made fun of me (and no one did), so what?

But pity is next to contempt. No one should ever pity you, and you should never pity anyone else. Identification and sympathy are one thing (actually, two things), but pity is entirely different and despicable.

Guest Kaelynd

I dont like talking about it.

My bestfriend talks to me about it and tries to be supportive cause she knows I need it and stuff, but it just makes me feel akward and stuff.

Like just asking me about my derm appointments & current meds and how theyre working and stuff. I obviously answer her but it just makes me feel weird.

If I see anyone else with acne it makes me feel better because I know I am not the only one. Although, when I am out I never really see anyone with acne... only a few people which upsets me because all my friends have perfect skin and I feel really alone - but I am not because there are millions of people suffering. Sometimes I feel I want a friend who suffers from acne too so we can help each other and talk to each other about it. And yes, I feel the same- I take an hour or so applying make-up just to walk into town for 5 minutes! WHY?! It's so depressing! :cry: