Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
guitarz_skin

Intestinal/Digestive Cleanses do NOT cure acne.

Intestinal cleanses and digestive cleanses do NOT clear acne, and are actually pretty worthless.

The cells lining the intestinal walls shed just like the skin on your face; therefore, you do NOT have year old fecal material stuck to your colon wall.

It's pretty much the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Often these so called "cleanses" actually cause what you see in the toilet.

Save your money-you're kidding yourself if you believe you have 5 year old waste stuck to your colon wall.

I would advise you to consume 25-35 grams of fiber (both insoluble and soluble). That's it, enjoy your day.

I pretty much agree, but at the same time, I think there is a byproduct to some of the materials used for flushes and cleanses that will aide intestinal well being, which in turn could likely have an effect on overall health and the effectiveness of various other health motivated diets, therapies and treatments.

So, I wouldn't say they are totally worthless, and certainly people on these boards have been doing them and had results that could only be traced back to them. Whether it is actually a result of the flushing program or a byproduct of certain processes relating to the flush, I can't say.

I don't personally agree with the flushing concept to begin with, I think it's more sensible, if you are concerned with unhealthy buildup, to take measures to consistently and effectively fight it over a prolonged period of time so that your body can adapt to staying healthier, as opposed to a flush which would seem to just temporarily solve an issues but not get to the core of hte problem.

I could be mistaken though.

Never seen mucoid plaque, have ya?

I have.

Pssssssssssssttt...guess where the bacteria that causes acne comes from? :think::dance::doh:

I'm just going to state fact:

you do NOT have year old fecal material stuck to your colon wall.

Yes, I quoted myself.

Yes, I quoted myself.

Good for you. By making such dogmatic statements (like the one in your first post), you will find that you don't prove yourself to be teachable.

But hey.....don't be teachable. Doesn't bother us who are clear from doing "the dumbest thing" you've ever heard.

Didja figure out where acne-causing bacteria comes from yet? :shock:

Yes, I quoted myself.

Good for you. By making such dogmatic statements (like the one in your first post), you will find that you don't prove yourself to be teachable.

But hey.....don't be teachable. Doesn't bother us who are clear from doing "the dumbest thing" you've ever heard.

:rolleyes:

Do you honestly think that this "mucoid plaque" stuff is just one solid mass of p. acnes bacteria, that leaks out of the walls of out intestines, into our bloodstreams and comes out our pores???. That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. As far as I know, p.acnes bacteria exists on everyone's skin. It's a relatively harmless bacteria that helps prevent the overgrowth of the nasty guys like strep and staph. It only becomes problematic when it becomes trapped inside our sebaceous follicles that become clogged up with irregularly desquamating, hyperkeratinized skin cells. Acne sufferers have higher bacterial counts on theirs skin, simply because the bacteria thrives on sebum....and acne sufferers then to have higher rates of sebum production....

The bacteria doesn’t just overgrow in our intestines because they're full of "mucoid plaque." We are not all walking around with years of old crap in our intestines. The intestinal lining constantly renews itself the same way other mucosal linings like the lining of the mouth renew themselves.......Why is it that doctors don't find any "mucoid plaque" when they do colonoscopies.....even on old people who ate crappy standard American diets for 50+ years???........

This "mucoid plaque" seems to only come out when certain ingredients are combined.....Like the psyllium and bentonite combo......Psyllium fiber when mixed with water swells as it absorbs the water....add a little absorbant clay and you've got yourself a nice hard rubber-like material, when ingested the mixture absorbs water form and forms a cast of the intestines.......aka...."mucoid plaque."

I just have a very hard time believing in this "mucoid plaque" phenomenon.........

You should have a hard time believing it, because everything you just said is true.

When I had my colonoscopy the Dr's saw chewing gum, a hardened piece of crap, and a baseball card I swallowed when I was 7... wait a minute, no no, no they didn't. They didn't see any of that stuff these people claim is there.

"Mucoid Plaque" hahaha!! Let me guess, you're probably one of the people that doesn't believe we actually landed on the moon.

Maybe if you took the time to study how the intestines work, you'd be better suited to engage in this conversation. Do the cells in the intestines renew themselves? Are they constantly renewing themselves? What does the purpose of "mucus" serve in the intestines? Is it there to blow snot-boogers out of your ass when you fart? No. One of it's purposes is to MOVE along the waste in our colon. If there was NO mucus, you and I wouldn't be having bowel movements now would we? No, no we wouldn't. So the cells in the intestines are constantly renewing themselves (yeah, they don't take year long breaks), and we have mucus in our intestines to move things along...so I expect that I have shit stuck to my colon wall from 1995. Where is the flaw in that?

Intestinal cleanses and digestive cleanses do NOT clear acne, and are actually pretty worthless.

Well that's funny, bowel cleansing cleared my skin drastically for a few months.

I don't know if I believe in "mucoid plaque" or not, but bowel cleansing (like colonics and Oxy-Powder) does help a lot of people with skin problems...

I hate to state the obvious, but pretty much everyone here is overreacting with their left sided or right sided views.

There is a middle ground, the cleansing/cleaning/whatever helps promote proper elimination and reduces the toxins reintroduced to the body, at least on a short term basis.

Very true that the linings renew themselves, and therefore year old crap would NOT be there, but what if you had 'new crap' ? Would you be willing to believe that if you took a shit, there might be some waste that didn't competely get expelled from your body?

I dont know about you, but I find it hard to believe that I would expel 100% of the waste every single time I took a dump. So let's say you eliminate 80% of the waste through bowel movements, that means that at any given time the other 20% is still in you. Now, this is normal, and that 20% will be expelled the next time you have a bowel movement.

And the cycle continues...

So flushes might reduce that number to 5% in you instead of the normal 20%, which would consequently mean less toxins would be re-introduced into your blood, thus improving your overall health.

Then you would most likely return go from a 95/5 ratio, to a 10/90 ratio and then finally back to the 80/20 ratio. At which point you could start again with another flush.

Yes, I quoted myself.

:rolleyes:

Do you honestly think that this "mucoid plaque" stuff is just one solid mass of p. acnes bacteria, that leaks out of the walls of out intestines, into our bloodstreams and comes out our pores???. That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. As far as I know, p.acnes bacteria exists on everyone's skin. It's a relatively harmless bacteria that helps prevent the overgrowth of the nasty guys like strep and staph. It only becomes problematic when it becomes trapped inside our sebaceous follicles that become clogged up with irregularly desquamating, hyperkeratinized skin cells. Acne sufferers have higher bacterial counts on theirs skin, simply because the bacteria thrives on sebum....and acne sufferers then to have higher rates of sebum production....

The bacteria doesn’t just overgrow in our intestines because they're full of "mucoid plaque." We are not all walking around with years of old crap in our intestines. The intestinal lining constantly renews itself the same way other mucosal linings like the lining of the mouth renew themselves.......Why is it that doctors don't find any "mucoid plaque" when they do colonoscopies.....even on old people who ate crappy standard American diets for 50+ years???........

This "mucoid plaque" seems to only come out when certain ingredients are combined.....Like the psyllium and bentonite combo......Psyllium fiber when mixed with water swells as it absorbs the water....add a little absorbant clay and you've got yourself a nice hard rubber-like material, when ingested the mixture absorbs water form and forms a cast of the intestines.......aka...."mucoid plaque."

I just have a very hard time believing in this "mucoid plaque" phenomenon.........

Nope....I never said "bacteria overgrows in our intestines because they are full of mucoid plaque". :naughty:

Again.....since you aren't teachable, think whatever you want. State your opinions. Others will state theirs.

One last thing.....mucoid plaque mainly forms in the SMALL INTESTINE where colonoscopys don't reach.

One last last thing.....I've taken psyllium and bentonite that didn't come out looking like mucoid plaque on countless occasions. :shock: ;)

Nope....I never said "bacteria overgrows in our intestines because they are full of mucoid plaque". :naughty:

Again.....since you aren't teachable, think whatever you want. State your opinions. Others will state theirs.

One last thing.....mucoid plaque mainly forms in the SMALL INTESTINE where colonoscopys don't reach.

One last last thing.....I've taken psyllium and bentonite that didn't come out looking like mucoid plaque on countless occasions. :shock: ;)

Denise......on the contrary....I am actually very "teachable." I've been through four and a half years of college, and five years of graduate school (2 master's degrees). Just because I don't agree with this "mucoid plaque" theory, it doesn't mean that I'm not open minded or not "teachable." All in all I think most of holistic medicine is a crock of sh*t. I do like the idea behind it and there's a lot in traditional medicine that I don't agree with either. I like the idea of treating the root of the disease and not just masking the symptoms, but I don't think drinking a cup of olive oil and getting a colonic (gross, dangerous, and unessecary) will "cure" my acne. It's funny that you mention the "mucoid plaque" forming in the small intestine. I've actually had a few upper GI's with small bowel follow-throughs and upper endoscopies that can view a portion of the small bowel......and they saw nothing of the sort in there. Actually I have a "beautiful" small intestine according to my gastro (well what he could see of it anyway)....no ulcers or anything. I have a gastric reflux disease so I have to get an upper GI and upper endoscopy and a biopsy once a year. And no I don't take any meds for it.....I know how to control with my diet to a certain extent......

So as far as my being "unteachable" I'm actually going for a PhD in the fall.....in biochemistry. If I'm not teachable.....then I'm gonna have a really hard time........

Denise......on the contrary....I am actually very "teachable." I've been through four and a half years of college, and five years of graduate school (2 master's degrees). Just because I don't agree with this "mucoid plaque" theory, it doesn't mean that I'm not open minded or not "teachable." All in all I think most of holistic medicine is a crock of sh*t. I do like the idea behind it and there's a lot in traditional medicine that I don't agree with either. I like the idea of treating the root of the disease and not just masking the symptoms, but I don't think drinking a cup of olive oil and getting a colonic (gross, dangerous, and unessecary) will "cure" my acne. It's funny that you mention the "mucoid plaque" forming in the small intestine. I've actually had a few upper GI's with small bowel follow-throughs and upper endoscopies that can view a portion of the small bowel......and they saw nothing of the sort in there. Actually I have a "beautiful" small intestine according to my gastro (well what he could see of it anyway)....no ulcers or anything. I have a gastric reflux disease so I have to get an upper GI and upper endoscopy and a biopsy once a year. And no I don't take any meds for it.....I know how to control with my diet to a certain extent......

So as far as my being "unteachable" I'm actually going for a PhD in the fall.....in biochemistry. If I'm not teachable.....then I'm gonna have a really hard time........

Then you're not the one who isn't "teachable", then. When anyone makes extremely dogmatic statements (like the first post) without understanding, then they come across as unteachable.

BTW...if you don't have mucoid plaque, then you don't. No one has ever said that everyone everywhere at all times has 59 feet of mucoid plaque in their intestinal tract.

What is without dispute, though, is that the colonics that you believe are unnecessary and dangerous, are the one thing, without question, that has cleared more people than any other thing I've ever seen.

Of all the posts I've read, there hasn't been one single solitary person who hasn't benefitted greatly or totally cleared from getting a series of colonics. I've read these types of messages for 5 years online and while people have had varying degrees of success from other "methods", there hasn't been one single negative report about getting colonics. So, without question, I would say that colonics (NOT JUST "COLON CLEANSING through herbs or supplementation), has the best proven track record of getting folks clear.

Now you can believe it or not believe it......that's up to you. I'm only telling what I've read.

Coincidence? Nope. Not in my book.

But again...believe what you want.

I know what cleared me because I started getting acne at age 11 and had it severe at times all the way till age 39. NOTHING worked.

People in their twenties who come here preaching to all of us poor, uneducated, gullible, ignorant slobs are too late for many of us who have tried everything our derms gave us and then finally took matters into our own hands and cleared ourselves.

Sorry, but some of you are too late. We are already clear through these unproven, dangerous, methods.

This is coming from the person who said that "natural toothpaste doesn't have chemicals". Sheesh.

Bryan

This is coming from the person who said that "natural toothpaste doesn't have chemicals". Sheesh.

Bryan

I think the average person understood I was talking about DANGEROUS chemicals...... :rolleyes:

Surely you can do better than that...... :wacko: :rolleyes:

Then you're not the one who isn't "teachable", then. When anyone makes extremely dogmatic statements (like the first post) without understanding, then they come across as unteachable.

BTW...if you don't have mucoid plaque, then you don't. No one has ever said that everyone everywhere at all times has 59 feet of mucoid plaque in their intestinal tract.

What is without dispute, though, is that the colonics that you believe are unnecessary and dangerous, are the one thing, without question, that has cleared more people than any other thing I've ever seen.

Of all the posts I've read, there hasn't been one single solitary person who hasn't benefitted greatly or totally cleared from getting a series of colonics. I've read these types of messages for 5 years online and while people have had varying degrees of success from other "methods", there hasn't been one single negative report about getting colonics. So, without question, I would say that colonics (NOT JUST "COLON CLEANSING through herbs or supplementation), has the best proven track record of getting folks clear.

Now you can believe it or not believe it......that's up to you. I'm only telling what I've read.

Coincidence? Nope. Not in my book.

But again...believe what you want.

I know what cleared me because I started getting acne at age 11 and had it severe at times all the way till age 39. NOTHING worked.

People in their twenties who come here preaching to all of us poor, uneducated, gullible, ignorant slobs are too late for many of us who have tried everything our derms gave us and then finally took matters into our own hands and cleared ourselves.

Sorry, but some of you are too late. We are already clear through these unproven, dangerous, methods.

If you got clear that way.....good for you. I am right now dealing with a pretty bad case of acne. I have moderate to severe acne, and I am scarring. I'm willing to take a contravresial and potenially dangerous drug to possibly get me a few years of clarity. Only it is a prooven method of clearing acne, sometimes for good. When and if it fails I'll take it again......and again until I can't take it anymore. I have a sister and a cousin who took it, only once and have both been clear for years (one 11 years and one 7 years). They do not have any lasting side effects. I have not yet tried everything. I'm only 24, so yes, I am that preachy twenty-something.

In ten years, if I am still not clear....I will just accept it. I would never in a million years ever get a colonic. Not even so much because I think it's dangerous or unproven, but simply because it's embarrassing and just plain gross. I'm sorry.....that is an exit only. We don't need to go in there and clean it out, nature does it for us. I would never and could never do that. When it was suggested that I get a colonoscopy (for gastric reflux....WTF???) I flat out refused, simply because I felt it wasn't necessary, and way too embarassing and invasive. What did I do???....I switched doctors, and four years later that doctor is still sending little "we hope you're not dead yet" cards to my house. And that is a doctor, not some uneducated colonic technician.

So are you telling me I get acne because I need a colonic?......Even if this acne is something that three or four courses of Accutane won't cure......I'll at that point just accept it and give up........

How about we all just agree to disagree on this subject, this is going nowhere. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should not have to feel belittled for their beliefs, whatever they may be..alternative or conventional. I have been in the medical profession for a long time and I know there is good in both fields. Personally my health has improved with alternative therapies. I am just glad that people find methods that give them relief from the pain of acne. IPB Image

How about we all just agree to disagree on this subject, this is going nowhere. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should not have to feel belittled for their beliefs, whatever they may be..alternative or conventional. I have been in the medical profession for a long time and I know there is good in both fields. Personally my health has improved with alternative therapies. I am just glad that people find methods that give them relief from the pain of acne. IPB Image

There is noting wrong with a healthy debate every once in a while.......

So Denise....

You never did explain where the acne bacteria comes from?

That's fine if you want to continue the discussion, I'm just trying to keep it from falling into the realm of one personal attack after another. I have always been interested in the volumes of healthy debates acne.org seems to spawn.

That's fine if you want to continue the discussion, I'm just trying to keep it from falling into the realm of one personal attack after another. I have always been interested in the volumes of healthy debates acne.org seems to spawn.

Don't worry. This isn't the lounge. I'm not personally attacking anyone here. This is a debatable topic, and there's nothing wrong with a difference of opinion. Actually in the realm of scientific research that is what often sparks new discoveries. What would have happened to physics if Max Planck hadn't agreed to disagree with the entire field of Newtonian physics? We would have had no Einstein. No theory of relativity, not quantum mechanics (Well at least I wouldn't have had to sit through 2 semesters of the stuff....just to make makeup for a living).....

Let's all just disagree...........

Of all the posts I've read, there hasn't been one single solitary person who hasn't benefitted greatly or totally cleared from getting a series of colonics.

So are you telling me I get acne because I need a colonic?......Even if this acne is something that three or four courses of Accutane won't cure......I'll at that point just accept it and give up....

I can understand your reluctance to try something that goofy and disgusting, but at the very least, it would put Denise's claim to the acid test! If it didn't help you after all, she'd no longer be able to make the above claim! ;)

Bryan