Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
remember4

probiotics in yogurt

I recently stopped taking antibiotics and am trying to "repopulate" the good bacteria in my body. My question is if "probiotic" drinks like Actimel and Yakult are more effective than regular yogurt or drinkable yogurt. I couldn't find information about the amount of active cultures in Actimel and regular yogurt, but Yakult has 8,000 million Lactobacillus casei Shirota. How does this sound to you guys? Would I better off with Actimel, Yakult, regular yogurt, or drinkable yogurt?

According to the National Yogurt Association, brands like Dannon and Yoplait, meet the criteria for active cultures in yogurt: 100 million live and active cultures per gram at time of manufacture. Although probiotic capsules have numbers in the billion, a 6oz cup of yogurt is approximately 170g. This equates to about 17 billion cultures per cup of yogurt at time of manufacture...which is about 4-5 times the amount found in one capsule.

The down side to this is that yogurts contain 40g of sugar, while low/non fat yogurts contain anywhere from 12-24g of sugar. Additionally, the cultures are unprotected when it comes to stomach acid, but I'm sure at least a couple hundred million survive the trip, but undobutedly many die as they make their way to your intestine. But a combination of both is fine though.

I would suggest plain, non fat yogurt...it was 12g of sugar per serving. There are carb control yogurts that contain 3g of sugar, but they are sweetened with sucralose (under the name of Splenda)...which is someqhat just as questionable to your health as sucrose (table sugar).

The acidolpholus in yogurt isn't going to do the trick. That is a myth. The only way it will help is IF you have an extremely mild case of gut dysbiosis. And I mean MILD. If you have been on antibiotics A LOT, or if you have a very bad case of candida, the consensus amongst health experts is that the live cultures in yogurt doesn't do diddly.

Kefir, especially homemade, is a MUCH better way to go. It actually has beneficial yeasts as well that arrest the development of candida albicans, one of those yeasts is candida kefyr.