Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mman

What are the most effective antibiotics?

I have mild acne, but it is persistant and it won't go away- not for the regimen, not for B5, not for anything that I have tried...

If I go to a doctor or a derm, which antibiotic should I try to get? I know it isn't totally up to me, but if can try to pressure the doc into giving me a certain antibiotic, which should I go for?

I'd like to clear up fairly fast-hopefully for graduation in a month and a half.

So what do you have to say?

Thanks for any responses.

Tetracycline worked well for me, just made me a little queasy about 20 min after I took it. My skin problems were mild/persistent as well. It did clear my skin pretty fast, and kept me clear. I was on 500 mg 2x a day initially, and then reduced to 500 mg 1X per day. I did not like Minocycline, as it made me dizzy. Just be aware that it may come back after you go off the antibioitcs. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply...Maybe I'll be able to get tetracycline.

Anyone else have anything to say about any antibiotics?

Minocycline is great as a first time med (which i guess is a tetracycline)

i used klaron and metrogel together and they worked great (i was almost 100% clear) but they lost effectiveness after about a year. im only 80% clear now and i want to get back to 100% with the CSR

Well I heard that mynocyclin can sometimes give you brown purple spots on your face since I have a few of those from taking it. I was told to go on doxycycline which doesn't have that side effect but as willow mentioned, when you stop taking them, your acne may return.

Is it unusual to see results with any antibiotic in a week? 2 weeks?

I have heard that antibiotics don't usually have initial breakouts. Is this true?

Thanks for the replies everyone!

well it depends on the person. some person may show results in a month, while some else may see results in a week. its like weight loss. everyone can lose 20 pounds, but some may lose it in 5 months while some else may get it done in 3 and half months.

i used klaron and metrogel together and they worked great (i was almost 100% clear) but they lost effectiveness after about a year. im only 80% clear now and i want to get back to 100% with the CSR

Never heard of that one, well either Klaron and Metrogel, sounds good though.

Never heard of that one, well either Klaron and Metrogel, sounds good though.

i really liked them. its definitely only for mild acne, but it helps improve redness and never irritates. its used for roscea (sorry if its spelled wrong) as well as acne i belive.