Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jgroove

exoderm failure

i had exoderm last year with rullan. i had it because he said my scarred pores would be reduced by at least 50%. i also had shallow scars . my results: no reduction in pores, no reduction in scars, no improvement in skin texture. i had two touch ups as well and i cant notice any improvement whatsoever. cost = $4000

i had exoderm last year with rullan. i had it because he said my scarred pores would be reduced by at least 50%. i also had shallow scars . my results: no reduction in pores, no reduction in scars, no improvement in skin texture. i had two touch ups as well and i cant notice any improvem,nt whatsoever. cost = $4000

Oh my god thank you for writing in. There are many others who had poor results but they dont like posting about their negative experience. People need to know what a rip off this is. I also had an exoderm with Rullan with a touch up and had no results for scarred pores, shallow scars, and very fine lines. He said my scars and fine line would improve by 80% with the exoderm and second day abrasion. Now he and his staff are claiming this estimate is with fillers and another touch up. Whenever he discussed fillers with me I told him I was not interested and I was very specific when I asked him what improvements were possible with the peel and second day abrasion I was paying $ 5000 dollars for. He and his nurse said my scars were not bad at all and they did not even think I would need a touch up. He claims this can take off 10 years off a face and that it is effective for deep scars but it did not improve a faint fine line one bit on my 31 year old skin.

I can see why you had the two touch ups despite seeing no improvement. He is very suave and with the posters who come out of no where to say what a miracle treatment this is, and I could imagine there were posters encouraging you to go for the touch ups to get the results he said were possible. In my case there were even posters who claimed marvelous results who said I was being negative and that was probably affecting my healing and that if I really had a goal in mind I should be persistent and get the touch up instead of whining. I remember he looked me right in the eyes and said in an empathetic tone, there is hope, you will get there during the consult prior to the touch up. The touch up was practically a full face exoderm again. I have taken a step back instead of going forward with my first major procedure for my acne scars. I see further scarring. I have white discoloration because he neglected to protect my scalp. Do you see further scarring also or just a lack of results?

Now after this whole ordeal and 0 improvements did they tell you not to give up and try fillers to actually get some results. Did they charge you for the touch ups despite getting no improvement. Maybe they were still free last year. Now they are $250. I had no improvement in skin texture either. It was totally worthless after all that money and effort. Where are you from?

There should be law to penalize or even jail these so called "doctors". They freely mislead and victimize patients and make tons of money doing it with virtually no consequeces. We were conned and received permanent damage, and the only way to get back at them is through time consuming and costly civil law suit.

Guest President Slut

There should be law to penalize or even jail these so called "doctors". They freely mislead and victimize patients and make tons of money doing it with virtually no consequeces. We were conned and received permanent damage, and the only way to get back at them is through time consuming and costly civil law suit.

aint gonna happen,

especially when we as patients lawfully sign documents that state the results vary from aditional scaring to total improvement.

i remember a case study in belgium, where patiens simply refused to sign such documents,

the entire cosmetic surgery industry rebuilt itself to the highest standards in europe.

people power is the only thing that can change the these unpredictable procedures

hi jasmine....i think u know me from the yes their fake board.im glad i didnt waste the money on an exoderm.im going across the boarder to tijuania to get my scars done with a dermal filler.i already had ffs with dr ousterhout in san francisco.i used to be a guy but im changing my sex because of the terrible problems i had with acne and male hormone...androgen.i have been on hrt for 4+ years and my skin has been great.i have dumped over 10k in scar reduction treatments already on top of the 40k i spent for ffs.plus over 3k for laser hair removal for the face.i have a pic of me.i know it doesnt look natural but hey it plastic surgery. take care nikki

post-36707-1145073652_thumb.jpg

post-36707-1145073652_thumb.jpg

I want to thank you for your honesty..

Im sorry the Exoderm did not help your scars.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Nikki!!! ..I'm Rayne from YTF...just wanted to stop by and say Hi!!! and most of all..THANK YOU!!!...you are always so helpful and nice to me on the YTF boards..(((Big :D Huggs))) to you.

By any chance..are you from Chicago...?

Hi Nikki!!! ..I'm Rayne from YTF...just wanted to stop by and say Hi!!! and most of all..THANK YOU!!!...you are always so helpful and nice to me on the YTF boards..(((Big :D Huggs))) to you.

hi Rayne no i live in central pennsylvania.i went to san francisco to get my ffs.now i have to lose some weight because i went from 142 to 158!u can see the fat roll around my mid-section..lol my next step is clinic estetica.by the way they charge 1900 dollars for permanent lip augmentation but u have to make 2 trips. take care nikki

i live in socal. my touchups were free because i had the exo last year. they charge for them now.

i am interested in getting my money back. the chances for this will increase if others are interested and we consolidate our efforts. i dont care what the existing laws may or may not state. it is deception. taking large amounts of money and giving no product or service in return is immoral.

if you are interested . post here, contact me, and we will make a logical plan of action. i am going to do it if i have to do it alone. but please dont make emotional pleas and then not follow up with action. i dont have time for that, as i want to pursue this now.

Not a patient of Rullan, thankfully. But, I think you are unlikely to succeed on malpractice case in CA. My wife had a terrible repeated misdiagnosis that ended up costing her hip at the age of 32. Every lawyer we spoke to felt we had a strong case for malpractice, but it might be diffficult to prove large compensatory damages and the noncompensatory damages were capped at $150,000 under CA malpractice reform. Therfore, none of these lawyers were willing to invest their time on a contingency fee basis for a potentially small payoff. They want cases where there are large compensatory damages or class actions.

My suggestion is to gather a group and let him know that you each of you will contact the CA Medical Board stating that Rullan is a fraud who promises beenfits that actually cause harm, more often than not, from a suspect procedure that is not FDA approved for acne scarring. The licensing Boards will liklely support him, but I suspect this threat would create leverage because it would likely trigger an investigation. And, from I hear on these boards, he would probably not want that.

Not a patient of Rullan, thankfully. But, I think you are unlikely to succeed on malpractice case in CA. My wife had a terrible repeated misdiagnosis that ended up costing her hip at the age of 32. Every lawyer we spoke to felt we had a strong case for malpractice, but it might be diffficult to prove large compensatory damages and the noncompensatory damages were capped at $150,000 under CA malpractice reform. Therfore, none of these lawyers were willing to invest their time on a contingency fee basis for a potentially small payoff. They want cases where there are large compensatory damages or class actions.

My suggestion is to gather a group and let him know that you each of you will contact the CA Medical Board stating that Rullan is a fraud who promises beenfits that actually cause harm, more often than not, from a suspect procedure that is not FDA approved for acne scarring. The licensing Boards will liklely support him, but I suspect this threat would create leverage because it would likely trigger an investigation. And, from I hear on these boards, he would probably not want that.

is anything FDA approved for acne scarring?

Fraxel was recently FDA approved for acne scarring. I believe smoothbeam was also approved along with CoolTouch. I am not sure if anything else out there has been also such as dermabrasion, excisions or any other lasers.

This is my personal perception based on what I've read.

I think most malpractice lawyers are very skeptical about taking cases where no MAJOR problem (Brain damage, paralysis) or Death are involved. Even though a bad cosmetic surgery (as exoderm, dermabrasion,etc) causes severe traumatic consequences. In other words, they only take PROFITABLE cases. (I don't know which ones are worse, Doctors or Lawyers.) So, they don't understand our suffering. Furthermore, it's very difficult to take legal action especially when doctors make you sign a bunch of papers and if you read them carefully, it states that they take NO RESPONSABILITY, nor GUARANTEE results. So if you don't end up with brain damage or killed, it's a little hard to fight. However, I also think if we (patients) get together , we may find help from local representatives ( congressmen, senators, etc) and they can regulate this area with tougher laws for unethical professionals.

Hi... I just wanted to add something.

There are LOTS of people who have had Exoderm with great results on acne scars. Myself included.

However, not everyone posts on acne.org. I am sure that the number of people happy with their Exoderm success and with Dr. Rullan outweigh the people posting negatives.

Everyone is entittled to their own oppinion. And since I have not met any person who is saying negative stuff about exoderm or dr.rullan, I can not say with 100 percent accuracy that they are wrong. However, when someone claims 0 percent improvement. That is hard to believe. To have phenol on your face and have the scars abraded (exoderm is a combination of phenol peel and abrasion), you would get at LEAST SOME IMPROVEMENT. To say 0 percent improvement, it is hard for me to believe.

What I can say is this. And I hope you take some thought into this. People who suffer from anything tramatic always see the bad side. As acne scar patients, we are often depressed and our inner souls are torn apart. We go into each and every procedure thinking (this will be the procedure to take my scars away). Then, when we heal up, and we have scars left, we think "this didn't work". When the reality is, if I was a person on the outside looking at your skin before and after your exoderm, I bet I would see a huge improvement. Again we are hardest on ourselves. As patients, patients forget the scars that went away, but always tend to keep in mind the scars that remain.

I ask that you keep that last paragraph in mind. Also anybody reading this, its good to hear both good and bad news about procedures. But I don't want anyone to rule out Exoderm because of 1 or 2 complaints. Too many people are having success to rule this out. Talk to several people and get the real story.

I hope this helped.

There are LOTS of people who have had Exoderm with great results on acne scars. Myself included.

However, not everyone posts on acne.org. I am sure that the number of people happy with their Exoderm success and with Dr. Rullan outweigh the people posting negatives.

Everyone is entittled to their own oppinion. And since I have not met any person who is saying negative stuff about exoderm or dr.rullan, I can not say with 100 percent accuracy that they are wrong. However, when someone claims 0 percent improvement. That is hard to believe. To have phenol on your face and have the scars abraded (exoderm is a combination of phenol peel and abrasion), you would get at LEAST SOME IMPROVEMENT. To say 0 percent improvement, it is hard for me to believe.

What I can say is this. And I hope you take some thought into this. People who suffer from anything tramatic always see the bad side. As acne scar patients, we are often depressed and our inner souls are torn apart. We go into each and every procedure thinking (this will be the procedure to take my scars away). Then, when we heal up, and we have scars left, we think "this didn't work". When the reality is, if I was a person on the outside looking at your skin before and after your exoderm, I bet I would see a huge improvement. Again we are hardest on ourselves. As patients, patients forget the scars that went away, but always tend to keep in mind the scars that remain.

I ask that you keep that last paragraph in mind. Also anybody reading this, its good to hear both good and bad news about procedures. But I don't want anyone to rule out Exoderm because of 1 or 2 complaints. Too many people are having success to rule this out. Talk to several people and get the real story.

I hope this helped.

If I did receive some improvement, it is not evident to me or anyone who knows me. What mattered when I paid 5 grand and suffered through the huge ordeal this procedure requires is that I actually saw some improvement. My skin actually looks worse now. I have actually seen more improvement when I started using obagi nuderm last year. The scars were there but at least my skin looked smoother. I did not even see this improvement in texture with the exoderm. I know it is hard to believe for me too, that after having phenol and abrasions there is no "noticeable " improvement. There are not only 1 -2 complaints either. There are at least 5 people who had poor results with this treatment but they do not post about exoderm anymore or do not post at all on the boards. I am sure there are many more who are not even aware of these boards. I had another procedure and people who know me have commented on the improvement, without having to bring it up but no one has mentioned they see an improvement in my skin. When I started using retin- a with obagi last year, several people commented on the improvement in my skin. I know the lack of improvement I perceive with the exoderm, is not all in my mind.

I think anyone would agree, that an estimate of 80%, 60%, or 50% which is what Dr. Rullan often gives. would mean you would see obvious, discernible improvement when you look in the mirror.

hi jasmine....i think u know me from the yes their fake board.im glad i didnt waste the money on an exoderm.im going across the boarder to tijuania to get my scars done with a dermal filler.i already had ffs with dr ousterhout in san francisco.i used to be a guy but im changing my sex because of the terrible problems i had with acne and male hormone...androgen.i have been on hrt for 4+ years and my skin has been great.i have dumped over 10k in scar reduction treatments already on top of the 40k i spent for ffs.plus over 3k for laser hair removal for the face.i have a pic of me.i know it doesnt look natural but hey it plastic surgery. take care nikki

Hi Nikki, you look cute in your picture. You have been through so much and I am glad you did not have to go through more pain and suffering and a great dissapointment with Dr. Rullan. That really consoles me. At least I can get others to think twice before rushing to get this difficult procedure done.

I think i discussed artefill with you on YTF. Is that what you are getting in TJ? I am wary of getting any fillers besides isologen. I could not handle the risk of getting lumps and having to deal with that also. I hope it works out well for you.

I remember when Rullan raised his prices after getting more patients, He uped them like 1000 more. Conclusion is that peels wont do jack to your scars, tca, glycolic, phenol, stronger, weaker, blue, orange red, its not gonna happen, infact you will make your skin worse with larger pores as about 8 people on this board had at once. I wish I read someones post like this before I went ahead with 20 percent tca. The ironic thing is people will read this and still want to do a peel. On more thing, just because a Dr made you sign a paper, that dont mean thats his ticket out of being sued for malpractice.

How about this lady making 300 bucks a day with rullan for smoothies, unbelievable. "all of them have turned out beautifully"

Alexandra By the Sea Posted on: Aug 19 2005, 12:37 AM

Group: Members

Member No.: 27,713

"The cost is around 300 a day. WIth this includes taxi ride from airport to hotel and doctor's office. Nursing care 24 hours at my place by the beach or hotel and of course gourmet smoothie meals made with my vita-mix.I'm actually taking care of one of the acne.org member right now and she loves it. When you do request a brochure from Dr. Rullan it will also include a pricelist of my services. If anyone is thinking about doing an exoderm, I would highly recommend Dr. Rullan. I have taken care of many of his patient and all of them have turned out beautifully. He was also voted "Top Doctor" in San Diego"

I remember when Rullan raised his prices after getting more patients, He uped them like 1000 more. Conclusion is that peels wont do jack to your scars, tca, glycolic, phenol, stronger, weaker, blue, orange red, its not gonna happen, infact you will make your skin worse with larger pores as about 8 people on this board had at once

I hate to contradict you but many people on these boards have had success (from minor to considerable) with some of the above or a combo of them. Like I said before, I had some success with lots of micro dermabration. Am I satisfied yet? Far from it. So, I am looking into the alternatives I have found on this board and hopefully I'll get to see satisfying results.

When you say all the above methods are bullshit, you are saying all the people who have had suceess are either fools, liars ot delusional. I have seen pictures here with considerable and visible results. I am not talking about pictures published on commercial sites (which I always take with a grain of salt) but pictures people here have posted of themselves.

Unfortunately, there is no one cure for all. Each of us reacts differently and it's a very long road to seeing any kind of improvement and finding what thing/s work for us.

You might not like what Iam saying, but sorry to tell you at one point 8 people on this board were suffereing from enlarged pores and skin damage, I dont know what pics your talking about, but I have not seen anyone post great results from peels, dont confuse with tca cross. The risk for complications ( extra scarring and enlarged pores) is high and the reward is low. Would you want to place a bet on your face if you were sitting at a black jack table with those numbers, I wouldnt. No theyre not delusional and sorry to tell you there isnt many. from a 5000 dollar peel to a 50 dollar online order, there isnt many no.

I hope this helped.

Picture this: Scars are formed by fibrous tissue that keeps the skin from growing back. If you peel a very shallow scar you can get rid of its fibrous tissue completely and then the missing skin can be regenerated. But if the fibrous tissue goes deeper than the peel, then you make the scar DEEPER AND WIDER. That's what has happened to me. All i see now are the same scars with softened borders (the borders of the scar is healthy skin anyway) and deeper scars. The skin tone has improved, but the skin was so fragile the first months that i got terrible breakouts that left red marks all over again. So i can say that, not only i have got 0 improvement with Exoderm, but i look worse now and my skin is thinner.

There are only two persons with good Exoderm experiences posting on forums, i think. Justme, from another forum, and you.

In the other hand, i have read bad experiences at least from whyme?. namrobi, jasmin, jgroove and me. Three of us were treated by Dr Rullan.

AmoALaura,

I thought you had your exoderm in Argentina. Please forgive me if I'm wrong.

Anyways, I do think something should be done. Come on!! We're not talking about a cream that if doesn't work, at least, it doesn't cause irreversible consequences and you've wasted only $100. It's exoderm, YOur skin is red for several months which means you have to live like a primitive, hiding in caves. How much does Dr. Rullan charge? over $ 4,000 and if you don't live in San Diego, you'll end up spending more and more money. And aftern being told (lied) you'll attain 50 + improvement, you end up worse than before!!! It's a crime!! I've heard more negative than positive comments about exoderm and specifically about Dr. Rullan.

AmoALaura,

I thought you had your exoderm in Argentina. Please forgive me if I'm wrong.

Anyways, I do think something should be done. Come on!! We're not talking about a cream that if doesn't work, at least, it doesn't cause irreversible consequences and you've wasted only $100. It's exoderm, YOur skin is red for several months which means you have to live like a primitive, hiding in caves. How much does Dr. Rullan charge? over $ 4,000 and if you don't live in San Diego, you'll end up spending more and more money. And aftern being told (lied) you'll attain 50 + improvement, you end up worse than before!!! It's a crime!! I've heard more negative than positive comments about exoderm and specifically about Dr. Rullan.

No, you are right. Sorry in my post it seems that i am saying that i had it with Dr Rullan, i had it in Argentina. Whyme? didn't have it with Dr Rullan either.

How about this lady making 300 bucks a day with rullan for smoothies, unbelievable. "all of them have turned out beautifully"

Alexandra By the Sea Posted on: Aug 19 2005, 12:37 AM

Group: Members

Member No.: 27,713

"The cost is around 300 a day. WIth this includes taxi ride from airport to hotel and doctor's office. Nursing care 24 hours at my place by the beach or hotel and of course gourmet smoothie meals made with my vita-mix.I'm actually taking care of one of the acne.org member right now and she loves it. When you do request a brochure from Dr. Rullan it will also include a pricelist of my services. If anyone is thinking about doing an exoderm, I would highly recommend Dr. Rullan. I have taken care of many of his patient and all of them have turned out beautifully. He was also voted "Top Doctor" in San Diego"

For 300 a day i would rather sleep in a suite of a five star hotel.

I want to add that the doctor that did my Exoderm told me that the cost of the Exoderm solution and the mask is $500. So Dr Rullan gets a 1000 % profit. That's a good business.

i am so glad i waited re: exoderm. i met w/dr. rullan in august of 2005--he told me that i would get at least an 80% improvement in my scars--he gave me brochures, showed me pix, etc. like most people, i certainly didn't have $5,000 to spend, but i went home with the intention of saving the money in the next year or two, told all my friends about this miracle cure, and dreamed of the day when my scars were no longer near as noticeable. i can certainly think of better things to do with $5,000 than give it to a doctor who evidently has so many disappointed patients. i'm gonna save money and has some filler injected-that seems to be the safest procedure that actually helps. i was very impressed with dr. rullan when i met him--the one thing that did piss me off though was that he INSISTED that he take some pix of me to show me what my scars looked like-obviously, i know all too well what they look like, i try and avoid looking at them whenever possible. he proceeded to take some pix using a camera app. two inches from my face and magnifying it no telling how many times--when i saw the pix i almost cried-and i was a 46 year old man-i finally calmed down after i realized just how much they had been magnified. i have little doubt that he was showing me at my worst simply to get me to have him perform an exoderm.

I remember when Rullan raised his prices after getting more patients, He uped them like 1000 more. Conclusion is that peels wont do jack to your scars, tca, glycolic, phenol, stronger, weaker, blue, orange red, its not gonna happen, infact you will make your skin worse with larger pores as about 8 people on this board had at once

I hate to contradict you but many people on these boards have had success (from minor to considerable) with some of the above or a combo of them. Like I said before, I had some success with lots of micro dermabration. Am I satisfied yet? Far from it. So, I am looking into the alternatives I have found on this board and hopefully I'll get to see satisfying results.

When you say all the above methods are bullshit, you are saying all the people who have had suceess are either fools, liars ot delusional. I have seen pictures here with considerable and visible results. I am not talking about pictures published on commercial sites (which I always take with a grain of salt) but pictures people here have posted of themselves.

Unfortunately, there is no one cure for all. Each of us reacts differently and it's a very long road to seeing any kind of improvement and finding what thing/s work for us.

I can understand the variable results with treatments and individual response, however giving %50, 60%, 80% estimates and having more than one person get no discernible improvement or worse looking skin is highly suspicious.

I have been told by several people my scars were not bad at all, including Dr. Rullan and if I had truly been aware of the actual risk vs. reward with this treatment, I would not have taken the gamble. He knows this and that is why he downplays the risks and exaggerates the results possible.

This is not only immoral because this treatment is so expensive, it is cruel because it is a very difficult procedure to go through. With the fraxel some people are dissapointed with the results due to the high cost but at least they do not go through the torture and humiliating down time the exoderm requires. However Dr. Rullan pays pennies for the exoderm peel to make $5000 a pop and the overhead costs for the fraxel would be much higher.

i am so glad i waited re: exoderm. i met w/dr. rullan in august of 2005--he told me that i would get at least an 80% improvement in my scars--he gave me brochures, showed me pix, etc. like most people, i certainly didn't have $5,000 to spend, but i went home with the intention of saving the money in the next year or two, told all my friends about this miracle cure, and dreamed of the day when my scars were no longer near as noticeable. i can certainly think of better things to do with $5,000 than give it to a doctor who evidently has so many disappointed patients. i'm gonna save money and has some filler injected-that seems to be the safest procedure that actually helps. i was very impressed with dr. rullan when i met him--the one thing that did piss me off though was that he INSISTED that he take some pix of me to show me what my scars looked like-obviously, i know all too well what they look like, i try and avoid looking at them whenever possible. he proceeded to take some pix using a camera app. two inches from my face and magnifying it no telling how many times--when i saw the pix i almost cried-and i was a 46 year old man-i finally calmed down after i realized just how much they had been magnified. i have little doubt that he was showing me at my worst simply to get me to have him perform an exoderm.

I have never seen my scars looking worse than with his pictures. My sister said your face does not look that big in person. My family did not think my scars ever looked that bad either. I have obsessed about my scars for years so I know I only have barely visible indents on the side of my face that are not even noticeable in most lighting. He uses shadowing, angle, and magnification to exxagerate the scars.

I think we all know that an 80% improvement, even 50% improvement to scars would be very noticeable to you and others even if you dont have before and after pictures. I have seen my skin improve slightly with obagi nuderm last year and I or my coworkers did not need before and after pictures to notice the improvement. And let me tell you I worked in an environment full of catty women, they wanted to know what I had been using on my skin.

Marty, that's not only unethical, that's evil! I would never trust any doctor who tries to coerce me into having a procedure by humiliating me, putting psychological pressure on me and trying to belittle me and making me feel bad just so I get my checkbook out for him.

It's disgusting. Hugs to you :cry: