Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bubbles

Portrait

Today, I did it - had my first psr treatment. Thanks to all of the previous posters who shared their experiences. I appreciate all of the helpful info and since folks seem interested in psr, I'll try to detail my experiece. OMG, it hurt like hell. My doc believes that "penetration increases" if you don't use the numbing cream. Yeah, if my skin never turns back to the super pale color it was before today, I don't blame it. He used 1.4J and did two passes. It doesn't take long. And afterward, I was the color of a tomato. After the procedure, they put loads of aquaphor all over the red spots. I didn't quite have a full face, but enough of my cheeks were done that most of my face looks like a tomato, covered in grease. I called a few hours after my procedure because a few of the areas of aquaphor started to yellow. Yeah, I know that sounds kinda yuck, which is why I called the doc's office. They said it was normal and that the skin would begin turning brown. I was worried about the yellowing and asked if I should use neosporin on those spots and they emphatically said no. I didn't have a chance to ask why that would be bad because she was busy telling me not to use neosporin and to continue with the aquaphor. Anyway, right now I feel like I got a bad sunburn on my face. I drove home perched in front of the air conditioning vents because it relieved the sting. I'll keep you posted on the progress.

Great, please keep us posted. Are you getting multiple treatments? I assume you are since the 1.4J is not the highest setting. Who is your doc? Good luck.

Ol'Skool was supposed to post pics but I guess he changed his mind. :cry:

what kind of scars do you have and how severe? How many treatments did the dr recommend? And, if you don't mind, how much are they charging? Thanks and good luck!

Hello!

I have not started to brown yet. In fact, the affected area looks only mildly pink. I hope I start to see some browning tomorrow. I am anxious to see something happen. However, I am pleased that I haven’t broken out yet. Based on the posts from electroscars and twobuttons, I told my doc that I was concerned about post procedure breakouts and he started me on erythromycin a day before my treatment.

Anyway, I am seeing Dr. Raab, locaed outside of Chicago. I expressed interest in doing several weaker treatments because I can’t afford much down time, but he isn’t convinced that several of the weakest treatments produce the same results, so he wanted to starts somewhere in between a lower and higher level. After I heal, I’ll decide how to proceed. So to answer your question, I haven’t really been recommended any number of treatments yet, but I did tell him that I understood I may need several rounds. Also, since he doesn’t use the numbing cream he believes that the procedure penetrates more than a regular 1.4J. The cost was $750 total - $150 for the attachment/head that goes on the machine and $600 for fees. Since the attachment/head is only used for one patient, the doc asked if I wanted to continue after he had finished the areas of biggest concern. The doc searched for other areas (like a small scar resulting from stitches I had as a kid) and asked if I wanted to have those areas zapped so that I could use all of the pulses that the attachment/head can perform.

Oh, and my areas of biggest concern are those on my cheeks. I have a number of ice-pick indentations with jagged edges that are fairly shallow. Although I have three indentations that are a little deeper and are noticeable no matter what makeup tricks I use. This is where I'd like to see improvement the most.

Thanks for your support. I’ll let you know how things progress. I know it can be disappointing when people don’t always continue posting their results. But it may be a good sign that there are not still fixated on their scars, maybe they have seen enough improvement to come to terms and have now moved on. I hope someday that’ll be all of us.

Thank you so much for the information. Please keep us informed, it would be very helpful and very much appreciated by those of us who are considering this treatment. Happy healing! Hope to hear from you soon.

I am now five weeks out since my PSR1 treatment. I can say without hesitation, that in terms of texture and pore size my skin is worse. The skin color is fine. But two pencil eraser size indentations that were absolutely not there prior to my treatment have not improved in these past weeks. I also have tiny lump on my left cheek that did not exist prior. In addition a few of my larger pores got even larger as a result of this treatment.

If these areas don't improve in about a month I am seriously going to consider legal action.

But as crazy and desperate as I am right now, I am going to see me doctor for an evaluation, and see if a second treatment might fix these problems and make any improvement in my skin.

I'll keep you posted.

Hi lestat2882-- How is your skin doing months after Portrait? DO you still have the eraser-sized marks? Has your skin texture and pore size improved? Are you or have you had another Portrait-- if so, what have the results been like?

I look foward to yours and anoyone else's experiences with Portrait, as I may have one at high-setting done in early January.

Hi lestat2882-- How is your skin doing months after Portrait? DO you still have the eraser-sized marks? Has your skin texture and pore size improved? Are you or have you had another Portrait-- if so, what have the results been like?

I look foward to yours and anoyone else's experiences with Portrait, as I may have one at high-setting done in early January.

I had a 1.7 joule treatment on June 29th. 5 days later my skin had peeled and heeled completely. I still have the eraser-sized marks, which still infuriate me. They are not discolored and don't look like "acne" scars. They are just like very even, very shallow scars that are very visible in almost all lighting. I CAN SAY EMPHATICALLY, THAT THESE SCARS ARE A DIRECT RESULT OF PORTRAIT. Although I can't be sure, I believe that they were cause by the doctor that did my first treatment, Dr. Frank in NYC. He did something funny w/ the machine, and told me that by using that modified "technique" he could get a little bit "more" power or something out of it. In other words he was operating the machine in a nonstandard way.

I say this because, my second treatment done by a different Doctor, Dr. Mallari in RI, there were no problems. And he used a higher setting. Dr. Mallari also used a better more powerful triple action numbing cream, which made it more comfortable. And he gave me a copper based laser specific healing ointment that healed me much faster than Aquaphor.

Now after the 2nd higher powered PSR, Pore size seems to back to normal, which was never a problem until a week after each PSR. The 2nd PSR has NOT fixed my ERASER MARK scars. But overall texture on my rolling scars does seem to better in certain lighting. There is enough improvement that I may take Dr. Mallari's advice and have one last treatment done at 2.3 joules in 2007.

He told me that another treatment before 2007 would be a complete waste of money because my skin should be producing A LOT of COLLAGEN for quite a while.

Let me make it perfectly clear to everyone on this board. THAT IS ABSOLUTE AND TOTAL BS. Portrait's claim that collagen production lasts up to a year is laughable. 30 days after any PSR treatment, what you have is what you've got. That's it. No more improvement. At least that's my experience and some other's that I've read as well.

In the meantime, I'm overapplying Tazorac .1% gel in the morning and in the evening as per Hunter480's suggestion. It's been 9 days and my skin has started peeling slightly. Nothing as dramatic as PSR, but right now I'm confident it is changing/improving my skin, even if it's just in overall tone. As time goes on I'll post my Tazorac experience/results over on that long hate filled thread:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...=92426&st=0

THanks for the response lestat02882-- I have a question: Did either doctor who performed Portrait on you recommend that you treat your skin with something before having it done (fro example, the plastic surgeon I talked to about it said to use Tazorac until soon before the treatment.

Thanks again.