Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Grow_To_Overthrow

Sunscreens

Guest Grow_To_Overthrow

We all know that there are certain things that make it necessary to re-apply our SPF creams in order to stay protected from the suns harmful rays. Swimming (although some provide waterproof qualities), sweating, prolonged exposure to UV rays etc..

I often wondered why i could apply my sunscreen and not expose or engage with any of these nullifying elements to any large extent, yet still get slightly burnt when i'd expose myself to the sun for a short period of time.

Recently i had a great chat with one of the many Doctors at my Dermatologists clinic. She was kind enough to explain to me that nearly all sunscreens are such that they actually get absorbed into the skin and eventually stop working. These are what's known as absorbed lotions. There goes 'if you don't expose yourself to the sun then it will last all day and protect you when you leave the office to get lunch'. MYTH.

There are also, and to my understanding quitenew and still finding thier feet, sunscreens that are classed as physical barrier creams. They are not absorbed into the skin. They simply block the rays and sit on top of the epidermis. They can still be cancelled out by things such as sweat & water, but they will not time out under normal conditions.

My Dermatologist stocks a brand called Cosmedix, they're quite reputable. I'll be purchasing a physical barrier spf lotion when i finish off my current cream.

Just thought i'd let people know about it :D

Cosmedix site

Good info.

Would you happen to know about Persistent Pigment Darkening (PPD)?

I use to use a 'physical barrier cream' (sunblock). It was 6% Titanium Dioxide and 6% Zinc Oxide but I've recently switched to the sunscreen Ombrelle because of what I've learned about PPD. The only disadvantage to it is that it is a sunscreen and I do have to reapply it every two-three hours or so to ensure my skin's protected.

The sunblocks I've used in the past left me with a white cast, which I guess, is expected from the common active ingredients (TiO2 and/or ZiO). Of course, it's all probably the brands I've used (because of formulation, etc.).

But PPD is interesting though. It's actually a method of measuring UVA rays, since most sunscreens only list SPF for UVB rays and as you probably know, both are equally damaging. I am still finding more info on this. I've found great stuff about it a few months ago but since then, I've lost the links and so I have to get back at it.

Guest Grow_To_Overthrow

I've never heard of that actually, i'll have to do some reading. I might even ask my Derm. about it.

I'll let you know how the Cosmedix barrier cream goes, apparently it goes on really smoothly and streak free. That's what i've been told by someone who uses it anyhow.