Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

http://www.natural-health-information-cent...th-sulfate.html

Both Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES) and its close relative Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) are commonly used in many soaps, shampoos, detergents, toothpastes and other products that we expect to "foam up". Both chemicals are very effective foaming agents, chemically known as surfactants.

Unfortunately, both sodium laureth sulfate and its cousin are also very dangerous, highly irritating chemicals. Far from giving "healthy shining hair" and "beautiful skin", soaps and shampoos containing sodium laureth sulfate can lead to direct damage to the hair follicle, skin damage, permanent eye damage in children and even liver toxicity.

Although sodium laureth sulfate is somewhat less irritating than SLS, it cannot be metabolised by the liver and its effects are therefore much longer-lasting. This not only means it stays in the body tissues for longer, but much more precious energy is used getting rid of it.

A report published in the Journal of The American College of Toxicology in 1983 showed that concentrations of SLS as low as 0.5% could cause irritation and concentrations of 10-30% caused skin corrosion and severe irritation. National Institutes of Health "Household Products Directory" of chemical ingredients lists over 80 products that contain SLS and SLES. Some soaps have concentrations of up to 30%, which the ACT report called "highly irritating and dangerous".

Shampoos are among the most frequently reported products to the FDA. Reports include eye irritation, scalp irritation, tangled hair, swelling of the hands, face and arms and split and fuzzy hair. This is highly characteristic of sodium laureth sulfate and almost definitely directly related to its use.

Click here to learn of the possible health effects of sodium laureth sulfate

So why is a dangerous chemical like this used in our soaps and shampoos?

The answer is simple - it is cheap. The sodium laureth sulfate found in our soaps is exactly the same as you would find in a car wash or even a garage, where it is used to degrease car engines.

In the same way as it dissolves the grease on car engines, SLES also dissolves the oils on your skin, which can cause a drying effect. It is also well documented that it denatures skin proteins, which causes not only irritation, but also allows environmental contaminants easier access to the lower, sensitive layers of the skin.

This denaturing of skin proteins may even be implicated in skin and other cancers.

Perhaps most worryingly, sodium laureth sulfate is also absorbed into the body from skin application. Once it has been absorbed, one of the main effects of SLS is to mimic the activity of the hormone Oestrogen. This has many health implications and may be responsible for a variety of health problems from PMS and Menopausal symptoms to dropping male fertility and increasing female cancers such as breast cancer, where oestrogen levels are known to be involved.

Products commonly found to contains SLS or Sodium Laureth Sulfate

Soaps

Shampoos

Bubble-baths

Tooth paste

Washing-up liquid / dish soap

Laundry detergent

Childrens soaps / shampoos

Stain Remover

Carpet Cleaner

Fabric glue

Body wash

Shave cream

Mascara

Mouthwash

Skin cleanser

Moisture lotion / Moisturiser

Sun Cream

The use of sodium laureth sulfate in childrens products is particularly worrying. It is known that, whether it gets in the eyes or not, skin application DOES lead to measurable concentrations in the eyes of children. This is known to affect eye development, and the damage caused in this manner is irreversible. If you have children DO NOT USE products containing sodium laureth sulfate or SLS - they will thank you for it one day.

Do not believe that just because a product is labeled as "natural" it is free from SLS or sodium laureth sulfate. Most common brands of "Natural" or "Herbal" shampoos and cleansers still use these harmful chemicals as their main active ingredient - check your labels!

That is not to say that you can't get sodium laureth sulfate-free shampoos, soaps, detergents and toothpastes. Some highly reputable companies have been producing such products for years. These products not only contains no sodium laureth sulfate, they are also free of other harmful chemical colorings, preservatives and even flavourings.

After assessing many such products, we believe that the ones offered here represent not only the best quality but also the safest and most economical products available.

We hope you agree!

Whatever products you use, it is important to make sure that when you stop using sodium laureth sulfate (and SLS) you do so for good and completely. Many people change their shampoo, but not their washing detergent, toothpaste, dish soap or soap / shower gel.

Others forget to take supplies on vacation or business trips. Take our advice and make sure you replace the products in your wash-kit as well as your bathroom. You will be very grateful you did.

The potential effects of SLS on health are discussed here and the NLM's data on the subject is available here.

Everything has sls in it. I was just loking at my face wash purpose gentle cleanser and that has it. So does Cetaphil Facial cleanser. These are supposed to be some of the more gently cleanser out there. What are some facial cleanser that dont have sls in it?

I have no issues with SLS or SLES in my shampoo or facial cleanser,they're a good synthetic detergents and when used in moderation they aren't irritating, and they also have some antimicrobial properties....... But I do have an issue with SLS in toothpaste......,.

During my entire childhood I was plagued with painful canker sores (recurrent minor aphthous ulcers).....I don't ever remember a time as a kid when I didn't have at least one....

When I was thirteen I figured out that one of the causes was the sodium lauryl sulfate in toothpaste, most likely because of the drying effects it has of protective oral tissues. I used to have at least 3-5 of them at once. Once they'ed heal I'd breakout in like five more. I discovered a toothpaste called Rembrandt for Canker Sore Sufferers. They made a toothpaste for us canker sore people!!!!

So what's different about it......It doesn't contain SLS......the lack of SLS is the secret ingredient.....No SLS....no canker sores!!!!! Once I switched I went from 3-5 a week to 3-5 a year. I could actually enjoy eating........

SLS damages the oral mucosa. Most people can deal with this damage, but us canker sore people can't. It's though to be some autoimmune response to trauma to the oral mucosa that cause destruction of the damaged tissue by the immune system. The bacteria in the mouth then helps create a lovely little painful ulcer...........neat.....

So giving up SLS in my toothpaste was the best thing I ever did....I can enjoy food, and I'm not in constant pain!!!!!

I'm getting sick of the same toothpaste though. I've been using it for 11 years and thy've only improved the flavor once.....

I'd like to switch but every damn toothpaste contains SLS.....even natural stuff, like Tom's of Maine....

Every tube of toothpaste at Whole Foods has SLS in it........ :(

wow, how bizarre about the toothpaste~ poor thing..

I use cetaphil gentle cleansing bar, it doesn't contain either sodium laureth sulfate or sodium lauryl sulfate, but the cetaphil liquid cleansers do. it seems very difficult to find a cleanser that doesn't contain sls.

I have to wonder if the ingredient is at a high enough concentration to cause problems in a product like that, and if it doesn't remain on the face after washing, does it do any real harm?

wow, how bizarre about the toothpaste~ poor thing..

I use cetaphil gentle cleansing bar, it doesn't contain either sodium laureth sulfate or sodium lauryl sulfate, but the cetaphil liquid cleansers do. it seems very difficult to find a cleanser that doesn't contain sls.

I have to wonder if the ingredient is at a high enough concentration to cause problems in a product like that, and if it doesn't remain on the face after washing, does it do any real harm?

SLS and SLES aren't allowed to be in leave-on products.....only rinse-off products (cleansers, shampoo, toothpaste....etc).....If you leave it on the skin, it can further disrupt the protective epidermal lipids, and cause additional transepidermal water loss and irritation. They can also penetrate through the epidermis if left on, since they are surfactants....

I have no issues with SLS or SLES in my shampoo or facial cleanser,they're a good synthetic detergents and when used in moderation they aren't irritating, and they also have some antimicrobial properties....... But I do have an issue with SLS in toothpaste......,.

During my entire childhood I was plagued with painful canker sores (recurrent minor aphthous ulcers).....I don't ever remember a time as a kid when I didn't have at least one....

When I was thirteen I figured out that one of the causes was the sodium lauryl sulfate in toothpaste, most likely because of the drying effects it has of protective oral tissues. I used to have at least 3-5 of them at once. Once they'ed heal I'd breakout in like five more. I discovered a toothpaste called Rembrandt for Canker Sore Sufferers. They made a toothpaste for us canker sore people!!!!

So what's different about it......It doesn't contain SLS......the lack of SLS is the secret ingredient.....No SLS....no canker sores!!!!! Once I switched I went from 3-5 a week to 3-5 a year. I could actually enjoy eating........

SLS damages the oral mucosa. Most people can deal with this damage, but us canker sore people can't. It's though to be some autoimmune response to trauma to the oral mucosa that cause destruction of the damaged tissue by the immune system. The bacteria in the mouth then helps create a lovely little painful ulcer...........neat.....

So giving up SLS in my toothpaste was the best thing I ever did....I can enjoy food, and I'm not in constant pain!!!!!

I'm getting sick of the same toothpaste though. I've been using it for 11 years and thy've only improved the flavor once.....

I'd like to switch but every damn toothpaste contains SLS.....even natural stuff, like Tom's of Maine....

oh wow, i also get lots of canker sores too...i just though i was succeptable to then because i deal so terribly with stress....i'll have to check my toothpaste!

Hi LabGirl81

I've been using Burt's Bees Doctor Burt's Lavender Mint toothpaste from the local health food store (also available on Drugstore.com). It's fluoride and SLS-free. Fluoride causes me to break-out around my mouth and SLS causes canker sores. I originally used the children's version (orange flavor) and really liked it, but it doesn't have that clean, crisp flavor of the lavendar mint. They also have Cinna Mint, though I haven't tried it yet.

-shutterbug

Hi LabGirl81

I've been using Burt's Bees Doctor Burt's Lavender Mint toothpaste from the local health food store (also available on Drugstore.com). It's fluoride and SLS-free. Fluoride causes me to break-out around my mouth and SLS causes canker sores. I originally used the children's version (orange flavor) and really liked it, but it doesn't have that clean, crisp flavor of the lavendar mint. They also have Cinna Mint, though I haven't tried it yet.

-shutterbug

Hey thanks....Do they have any with floride though?.....I have weak teeth and need it. I can't have cinnamon either.....I'm allergic to it........and I don't know how keen I am about lavender mint....or orange

oh wow, i also get lots of canker sores too...i just though i was succeptable to then because i deal so terribly with stress....i'll have to check my toothpaste!

SLS in toothpaste is actually the leading cause of canker sores. Other causes are spicy or acidic foods, and cinimmon aldehyde (hot cinimmon flavor). Stress can aggervate them also.......but it's more likely that it's toothpaste.......

Rembrandt makes and SLS-free, floride containing, whitening toothpaste.....I only get a few a year now...I used to have about 5 at a time....all the time.....as a kid....and if I got sick I could have up to 20 at a time.....it was really painful......that toothpaste was a Godsend.......