Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mr.K

Looking to start Accutane

Hi everyone

I hope to be starting accutane soon!! :dance: I just wanted to know a few things about like how much will I cost me and what side effects I will get from it and what is iPledge?

I have used minocin for about 6 months and no change I only paid $5 for my minocin I hope it will be about the same for accutane and I have also be on a bunch of topical acne creams with no change also :mad: I have mild acne

Hi Mr. K,

I'm on a generic version of Accutane called Amnesteem. It costs about $300 a month for it, but my insurance only makes me pay about $15 a month. Yay for that. :)

Side effects so far haven't been terrible. This is what I've experienced so far:

*flushing- redness of my face. It's not terrible though. Doesn't look bad either, just looks like I got some sun.

*dry lips- be prepared for dry lips. If you don't take care of them (applying vaseline, aquaphor or blistex to them several times a day) they'll chap pretty bad. They might crack, peel and may even hurt when you open your mouth to eat, brush your teeth or laugh. But, it's not so bad if you keep putting some sort of chapstick on them. My lips are fine now! They're normal! They look normal too. :)

*dry skin- not so bad either. Just keep moisturising your skin

*dry itchy scalp- After a couple of weeks on my treatment, I had this for a few days. My head was so itchy. It actually kept me up at night. It's normal though and it'll go away. Your scalp is just drying up and it'll get used to it. No worries. Plus, I get dandruff now. Never had it before but Head and Shoulders really helps!

*back ache- I only experienced this once or twice. It was nothing bad.... just a bit achy. Nothing to moan and groan about. It just felt as if I sat in an umcomfortable position for a while. It hasn't returned yet!

This is all I can think about! You may n ot even experience these things. If you do, it's nothing major! Good luck!! ;)

ok ipledge is a federal program or something. you have to be in the program for 31 days before you can start accutane. every month you'll have to answer questions on the ipledge website. theres a lot more things girls have to do, but i think thats all the guys have to do. its pretty lame but w/e. i was supposed to start the accutane the other day but i have to wait 31 days b/c my doctor apparently didnt know you had to be in the program that long. so yeah. good luck though!

Thanks

I'm going to have to wait 31 day :mad: would accutane be the next step after minocin? Because I 20 years old and just want my acne gone!!!!

Hey Ellipatelli How you doing :wavey:

even guys have to wait 31 days to start?

even guys have to wait 31 days to start?

I don't know. I doubt it though.

I hope not

I never heard of a 31 day wait. Is that new? All I had to wait was for my blood test to come back (i'm a woman) which took like 1 week or so.

I took accutane about 7 months ago for 41/2 months. Great medicine but you have to be very,very patient with the side effects. The initial breakouts are horrible and the dry lips suck. However after your skin clears it's all worth it.