Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bluefly

Chemical vs. Physical sunscreen

The sunblock I used to use with no problem is now starting to make my face lumpy. Does anyone know of a good chemical free sunblock that has at least an SPF of 30 or higher? I know that mineral makeup is a physical sunblock but I don't usually wear makeup in the summer.

Hmmm, sorry. I sure don't have any idea. I usually have the same problems w/chemical blockers. My solution is to only wear the chemical stuff when absolutely necessary. Otherwise, I stick to mineral foundations. Stinks, but it's better than sunburn, right?

Thanks for the reply...It does stink because I HAVE to wear sunblock because I recently started to develop those dreaded age spots...

From what I've read, zinc oxide is more easily tolerated by acne-prone skin than avobenzone and oxybenzone. So, I'd go with a sunblock rather than a sunscreen.

Find one that is "for faces" and has zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide as active ingredients. I know you mentioned not wearing foundation in the summer, however most of them today do have spf ingredients in them, if you decide to go with that.

COTZ is a gentle, non-comedigenic sunblock based in zinc oxide that I swear by. It is 58 spf, slightly tinted, non-greasy, super gentle, and it works. It is also water and sweat proof. If they stop making it, I am DEAD because I have age spots, and use acne meds combined with laser treatments that make my skin super sun sensitive.

Put COTZ in a search and find their website; this stuff is famous, and well-known world wide as being one of the best sunblocks out there.

Coppertone has an oil free grease free 35 or 30 SPF sunscreen lotion, doesn't break me out at all. It comes in some silver bottle or something.

I use Neutrogena Sensitive Skin Sunblock Lotion SPF 60+. It has both titanium dioxide and zinc oxide (both physical sunscreens). You can buy it at most drugstores, including Target, Walgreens, Safeway, etc. You can also buy it online at drugstore.com here: http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp...amp;catid=12101

Or you could try Neutrogena Pure & Free Baby Sunblock Lotion SPF 60+. It also has both titanium dioxide and zinc oxide, and Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Extract (like Aveeno products). You can also get it at most drugstores or online at drugstore.com here:

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp...amp;catid=12101

Hope this helps!

The sunblock I used to use with no problem is now starting to make my face lumpy. Does anyone know of a good chemical free sunblock that has at least an SPF of 30 or higher? I know that mineral makeup is a physical sunblock but I don't usually wear makeup in the summer.

Hi! I am super sensitive to chemical sunscreens but I am very fair skinned and need to wear a sunscreen every day. I have used Elta MD Ultra Shield and the Elta MD UV Sport with much success. Also Clinique Super City Block 25 and recently the SPF 40 one are good and gentle. I just bought Shiseido's Ultimate Sun Protection Cream SPF 55 PA+++ because it has gotten great reviews for gentleness and great protection. It is suppose to be water and sweat resistant too.

Look on the Skin Cancer Society's website (http://www.skincancer.org/seal-of-recommendation/) to see sunscreens they recommend and endorse (proven to actually provide the protection they advertise).

Hope this helps!

I love Neutrogena Pure & Free Baby Sunblock Lotion SPF 60+.

It also has both titanium dioxide and zinc oxide, and Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Extract (like Aveeno products). AND it doesn't leave your skin with that white look. It absorbs very well and it's the best sunblock I've ever used for my ultra-sensitive skin. Plus, you can't beat the price. I got it on sale for $7.59 (retail price is $9.99).

You can also get it at most drugstores (eg. Target, Walgreens, Rite Aid) or online at drugstore.com here:

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp...amp;catid=12101