Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LRei17

LisaRei's Skin Regimin

Here's my story...

I started getting acne at the age of 8. It rotated from my forehead, to my nose, to my cheeks, to my back, and since i was about 13 has stayed all over my body.

My back is clearer, but my face (mostly cheeks) is still in poor condition.

As a teenager i was put on every medication in the books. None of them worked, but now i know that was because i was not responsible and would not take the pill everyday (and would give up during the 'it gets worse before it gets better' stage ended).

I had several micro-dermabraisions to lessen the scars. It helped, it didn't produce dramatic results, but enough to make a difference without extensive surgery.

Since then, I have taken accutane which completely cured my acne for six months. It returned and i am stuck in the same position i was in before, except with more scars!

My scars are not terrible, small, but plentiful. They can be concealed with make-up and hardly show up in pictures at all! Even with that, I am still a slave to my foundation. Since my acne has returned i have not gone a day without foundation on my face.

I just got back from the dermatologist and he told me to stop using pro-active (he said it's a load of crap), and he prescribed retin-a (this is about the 90987678th time i've gotten it), klaron and CEPHALEXIN (i also just started ortho-tri cyclen). I only saw three reviews for cephalexin, but they all seemed positive.

My dr. also told me that i was KILLING my skin by using a washcloth (to abraisive even without harsh use) and regular soap... so i won't be doing that anymore.

here is a picture of me on a 'clear skin' day. it mostly just shows my scars on my left cheek, which is more clear than my right side.

IPB Image

just uploaded some pics with (some) make up.

right cheek - click to enlarge

IPB Image

left cheek plus nose (you can see some scarring there too) - click pic to enlarge

IPB Image

and me "normally" with (a lot of) foundation to cover up acne, what a difference make up makes!!! :-/

i can't even see my scars here! (i'm the female)

IPB Image

Okay, So far on cephalexin i've seen NO NEW BREAKOUTS! okay, some very small ones, but the BP, kolarin (sp?), and PURPOSE wash (plus redness reducing moisturizer) have been working wonders so far.

I will post some pics in a few days with no foundation on, the redness is reducing... seeing a little peeling from the BP, but i think that's normal... hopefully this works well enough so i don't have to go on that second round of accutane! the derm may want me to do it anyways just to get rid of it permanently, but we will see.

also, i've noticed the gels are making my skin a bit greasy (since i wear foundation) so i've been using those oil absorbtion pads during the day to reduce the shine and those have been working wonderfully (the store brand kind, about a few bucks cheaper than the name brand).

What's cephalexin ... is that an antibiotic?

Your pix are gorgeous. :)

thanks! it's an anti-biotic, but has worked so far. I will post some updated pics. I've only had one big zit since i've started the regimin and that's already cleared up everything else has been small blackheads and whiteheads. I also started some redness reducing purpose moisturizer, but i think the most helpful redness reducing part has been the lack of painfull pimples.

i still have some breakouts on my back where my bra straps are, that's pretty common for me.

next pics will be with zero foundation (the close ups from before i had a thin layer of it.

next derm appointment is june first, i think even if my skin clears i may still go on that second cycle of accutane just to make sure it goes away for goodw this time.

i had also been seriously considering getting a TCA peel done, but i decided to wait until my skin totally clears up (hopefuilly lol) to do that. I'm thinking that one of the reasons my scars look worse than they are is the pimples, it seems they create more dimensions and depth for the scars than are naturally there. I don't want perfect skin, i can even deal with the ccars... i've come to terms with them, i just want to get rid of the acne, ugh.

ah okay, took some pics on the boat, and sometimes i wish the camera wasn't five megapixel, i can see the zits close up! lol. all i have for now... left cheek, some make-up on. funny thing is that i didn't see these zits until i saw the pic, then went straight to the bathroom and noticed them, dangit!

also, random question, but does anyone know of anything to get rid of the lines under my eyes? i have no idea where they came from, i'm only 23... i shouldn't be seeing wrikles like that, blech. everyone always asks me if i'm tired... :-( i'm not!

post-24227-1145843969_thumb.jpg

post-24227-1145843969_thumb.jpg

Ok this sounds really stupid but you might actually consider applying very tiny amounts of retina around your eyes. Normalle you're not supposed to do this, you're actually supposed to avoid this area but retinoids are used in some cases for wrinkles too. I'm not sure though if Retin-a is one of the better option for this but I guess you could try very very gently and cautious if you think the wrinkles are a big deal.

It's really normal though now I think of it, when you're smiling. I've been partying and laughing a lot for the past few days and noticed yesterday that I have more fine wrinkles under my eyes. I'm a 21 year old male. When I check my face when I'm smiling like you in that picture I have similar wrinkling. I guess it just comes with not being a teenager with extremely tight skin.

Anyway, you didn't notice your new zits untill you saw the pics. That means noone else noticed them either, seriously. Especially not when your smiling so much ;).

Ok this sounds really stupid but you might actually consider applying very tiny amounts of retina around your eyes.

Yikes. Be REALLY careful if you decide to do this. I use Green Cream 6 around my eyes, and have adjusted well to that, but I'm not using the Level 9 there because it's too drying .... and Retin A is much stronger and more drying than any of the GCs. Just remember, the skin around the eyes is very fragile and prone to dehydration. Green Cream Level 3 would be a better place to start if you want to use retinoids there.

i've actually gotten the retin-a around my eyes accidentally and it just makes them really red and irritated

unfortunately, now my problem with the skin meds is this.. Klaron is making my skin texture greasy (and impossible to hold a lick of foundation), and the retin-a is making my skin peel! such a bad combination. i ahven't gone tanning in a while, so i'm wondering if going back will dry up my skin and make it less greasy.

my follow up appointment is next week, i'm going to discuss with the derm my options, from the alst appointment it really sounded like he wanted to take the accutane route, and if i can work something with him i may try it again in small dosages. my skin has improved acne wise in the sense that i'm not getting large painful pimples anymore, but i am still getting smaller ones that are under the skin and grouped together (which feels like one large pimple but isnt bc when i tried to pop it it came out of several different places... wierd). i also have black heads and my pores (esp on my nose) are still visitbly clogged. one way i've found to clear the clogged pores i actually found accidentally. i had a little face fuzz on my cheeks and was feeling adventerous. after getting the slight fuzz off my cheek with some at home wax i tried it on my nose and was able to pull everything out, dried dead skin, and clogged pores. unfortunately, they all came back the next day, but for the pruposes of having supple skin for one evening it worked great.

also, my bacne and chest acne is virtually gone :-) i can finally go swimming again, i just have to wait for my stupid face to clear up before i can do any water sports again (dermablend was the only thing that would stay on, but now with this new film on top NOTHING sticks to my skin, gross, and i'm not even using more than a drop of klaron and moisturizer!)