Notifications
Clear all

Are eggs bad for acne?

MemberMember
(@indoobidubly)

Posted : 04/13/2006 5:28 am

I know they contain iodine, but does it have enough to cause problems?

Has anyone had any trouble with with acne when eating eggs?

MemberMember
(@little-miss)

Posted : 04/13/2006 5:34 am

I was on a diet once for my acne and it claimed cooked proteins are bad for acne. Since egg is FULL of protein, then a cooked egg, according to this diet (Wai diet) is bad for acne. However, a raw egg yolk is extremely good for your skin as it is packed full of uncooked protein, which is good. So I don't think there is an answer to this question really, beause there is no evidence that diet affects acne.

MemberMember
(@ariventa)

Posted : 04/13/2006 9:46 am

I would say they're fine unless you are allergic to them. Eggs are packed with vitamins like zinc and such that are good for acne. I eat 'em almost everyday with no problems.

MemberMember
(@the_se7en)

Posted : 04/13/2006 10:19 am

I was on a diet once for my acne and it claimed cooked proteins are bad for acne. Since egg is FULL of protein, then a cooked egg, according to this diet (Wai diet) is bad for acne. However, a raw egg yolk is extremely good for your skin as it is packed full of uncooked protein, which is good. So I don't think there is an answer to this question really, beause there is no evidence that diet affects acne.

I would have to agree, eggs are bad for acne. Try boiling the egg, I think that is good as well.

MemberMember
(@cheaptricky)

Posted : 04/13/2006 1:06 pm

I would have to agree, eggs are bad for acne. Try boiling the egg, I think that is good as well.

In a word:NO.

Eggs are a suprfood, great protein.

Get stuck in, mate, and no worries!

MemberMember
(@bfguitar)

Posted : 04/13/2006 4:30 pm

Eggs are the best food known to man kind. There is no natural occuring food with more nutrition than an egg. I get free range eggs.

You could at least eat egg whites...

MemberMember
(@dingo-jellybean)

Posted : 04/13/2006 4:34 pm

I don't think eggs are a problem for acne sufferers. Although 1 egg provides 40% of daily iodine (a known acne aggravtator) and 70% of the daily value of cholesterol, I think it should be eaten only in moderation.

But egg beaters are best if you want the closeest possible taste to eggs, but without the iodine and cholesterol.

MemberMember
(@bfguitar)

Posted : 04/13/2006 9:08 pm

Or you can just eat the eggwhites....

MemberMember
(@dingo-jellybean)

Posted : 04/13/2006 10:21 pm

Or you can just eat the eggwhites....

The eggwhites themselves have no nutritional value, compared to egg beaters which are fortified.

MemberMember
(@teaspoon)

Posted : 04/13/2006 11:34 pm

Egg whites actually have the capability to hinder the absorption of some vitamins. Egg yolk is very very good for you. If you buy free range eggs you can eat the yolk raw to maximize the nutritional benefits. The risk of salmonella is virtually nonexistent in organic eggs. Do a little reading about it. Raw egg yolks are great for you.

MemberMember
(@dingo-jellybean)

Posted : 04/13/2006 11:47 pm

Egg whites actually have the capability to hinder the absorption of some vitamins. Egg yolk is very very good for you. If you buy free range eggs you can eat the yolk raw to maximize the nutritional benefits. The risk of salmonella is virtually nonexistent in organic eggs. Do a little reading about it. Raw egg yolks are great for you.

Raw eggs will eventually kill you. This is because raw egg whites contain avidin, which bind to biotin and the process is virtually unreversible which can leave you severely deficient of biotin. Of course you would need to do this for quite a while, but cooking the egg whites diminishes this problem. But of course biotin is in almost every food and intestinal bacteria creates it too.

MemberMember
(@curiousz)

Posted : 04/14/2006 1:10 am

just eat the yolk. no avadin. that's what i do.

3 yolks/ day

MemberMember
(@supernothing)

Posted : 04/14/2006 1:45 am

Raw eggs will eventually kill you. This is because raw egg whites contain avidin, which bind to biotin and the process is virtually unreversible which can leave you severely deficient of biotin. Of course you would need to do this for quite a while, but cooking the egg whites diminishes this problem. But of course biotin is in almost every food and intestinal bacteria creates it too.

Only raw egg whites bind to avidin. The egg yolk actually contains a large amount of biotin. So if you drink the entire egg you should be fine. Even if you do drink raw eggs alone (for the protein), youd have to drink like 20 of them per day in order to become biotin deficient.

MemberMember
(@teaspoon)

Posted : 04/14/2006 1:57 am

Yes, you will note that in my post I did not say anything about eating raw egg whites other than they are bad for you. I advocate eating raw egg yolk. But thanks for reading nonetheless.

MemberMember
(@veen)

Posted : 04/14/2006 2:57 am

Uhh, do some more reading yourself... its not true that organic eggs have a smaller risk of salmonella than normal free range eggs.

This avadin thing is interesting, never heard about it before...

Is a raw egg harder to digest than a cooked egg????

MemberMember
(@ariventa)

Posted : 04/14/2006 9:28 am

Uhh, do some more reading yourself... its not true that organic eggs have a smaller risk of salmonella than normal free range eggs.

This avadin thing is interesting, never heard about it before...

Is a raw egg harder to digest than a cooked egg????

A raw egg is much easier to digest than a cooked one. The more you cook an egg, the more difficult the protein becomes to digest.

MemberMember
(@skin-deadness)

Posted : 04/14/2006 10:26 am

For me, I found out I get a few breakouts if I eat eggs because I eat them every other day and when I ate them one day I'd get a pimple or 2 that evening. But the next day when I didn't eat them, I was fine.

MemberMember
(@teaspoon)

Posted : 04/14/2006 2:34 pm

Sick Chickens lay sick eggs, but even then it is not a given. Free range chickens are on average less ill than factory farm chickens.

Thing about salmonella, it was grossly exaggerated in the past, the most recent data I've read on the subject says that there are far less infected eggs on average than previously thought and that farm fresh eggs possess the smallest risk. Of course, that could be mistaken, I'm just working off of an article I read on the subject that was published last month.

Further still, you can do a variety of 'checks' to see if the egg is fresh or potentially harmful, and, when eating raw, you actually manipulate the yolk in your hands and can tell if it is safe or not by its consistency. Exercising a little bit of sense about the matter is all it takes, and even if one were to contract salmonella, a healthy individual is unlikely to get sick for very long if at all. If I remember correctly, Salmonella related deaths are below 1% in reported cases.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 04/15/2006 4:22 pm

i remember ages ago at the height of my desperation to cure my acne i bought a hunk of shit called "Your Last Acne Solution" by a twat called Leo Kiesen, he mugged me of 30 British pounds that i'll never get back. In his book he talked about how raw eggs were good for you because of the zinc content. Although this may be true, the rest of his book was bollocks if anyone else read it im sure you'll agree, just riddled with hypocrisy and impossible to follow.

Anywho, i never much liked the thought of drinking raw eggs as i dont like them anyway unless they're an omlette, however after reading this im determined to give it a go. I just cracked 2 raw eggs into a glass and stirred it, the consistency of this stuff is horrible, but tastes quite nice IMO. I didnt down it all in one go (Im not Rocky) im just sipping it, either way; i will reap all the benefits!

I'll do this for a week and see what happens

MemberMember
(@mike-william)

Posted : 04/16/2006 1:59 pm

Unless you are alergic to eggs, which I think is a highly unlikely alergy, there's probably nothing wrong with eating eggs in respect to acne. I started eating eggs every breakfast as a part of my paleoish diet plan(in conjunction with other things like fiber supplements) which I hoped would help my acne, and it has, greatly. Basically what I'm saying, is that the time my acne improved was the same time that I began eating eggs daily. It's not just the eggs alone doing this, that's not what I'm saying, I'm just saying that they obviously aren't hindering my skin any, as I was breaking out worse when I wasn't eating them.

MemberMember
(@rodd)

Posted : 04/17/2006 9:29 am

DONT EAT RAW EGGS!

omg! there is so much bullshit information in this thread i couldnt stand it..

yes egg whites do bind biotin (which is essential for the body) and prevent it from being absorbed, BUT only when raw. cooked egg whites don't do this and are good for you as they are high in protein (protein is required for repair and maintenance of all body tissues).

egg yolks are equally good for you, having high quantities of all the fat soluble vitamins which are A, D, E and K. they are also one of the few foods naturally containing vitamin D. additionally an egg yolk contains about two thirds of the recommended dietary intake of cholesterol (the good kind! as required by the body for healthy function - as opposed to the artery blocking bad kind). but you need to cook yolks as well.

so you should cook egg whites to avoid causing a deficiency in biotin, but you should cook egg yolks for a much scarier reason called Salmonella enteritidis pretty sure that spellings right - you can google that if you want i cant be bothered finding a link.

basically you really should eat eggs because they are too nutritionally dense to ignore, but you should never eat them raw.

i repeat DONT EAT RAW EGGS! (i aced my nutrition science paper, i should know)

MemberMember
(@veen)

Posted : 04/17/2006 3:15 pm

well apparently you dont know.

salmonella is like a 1/100000 risk. and even if the egg is contaminated, you will only get sick if you have a weak immune system.

MemberMember
(@labgirl81)

Posted : 04/17/2006 3:22 pm

I don't get the raw egg thing. Why would you eat raw egg? First of all.....they taste pretty nasty (unless in cake or cookie batter!!!) and second of all how are they easier to digest.? Cooking an egg denatures it's proteins. What do you thing happens to the eggs proteins the second they hit the acidic environment of the human stomach......where the pH is about 2? The proteins denature, before they are digested........and when a protein is digested, it's broken down to the amino acids that make up that protein.....so it doesn't matter if the protein in an egg is cooked......it gets broken down into the amoni acids that make it up.....weather it's cooked or it's raw..........

I don't care so much about salmonella......I just like my eggs cooked......they're not as slimey and gross when cooked......

MemberMember
(@veen)

Posted : 04/18/2006 1:28 am

ya so i go for soft boiled eggs :P

MemberMember
(@rodd)

Posted : 04/18/2006 11:33 am

well apparently you dont know.

salmonella is like a 1/100000 risk. and even if the egg is contaminated, you will only get sick if you have a weak immune system.

Some quotes for you Veen.. to stop you talking out your ass

"an egg with a runny yolk still poses a greater risk than a completely cooked egg. Undercooked egg whites and yolks have been associated with outbreaks of Salmonella enteritidis infections."

"Healthy adults and children are at risk for egg-associated salmonellosis,"

"Egg-associated salmonellosis is an important public health problem in the United States and several European countries."

The above are quoted word for word from the United States Department of Health- Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) website

But what would they know... idiot.