Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Naitch

Anyone getting scars after tane?

I seem to be getting new scars 3 months after stopping tane. what's going on? I'm getting no acne but new holes in my face.

Yeah, I wish I was never prescibed the stuff. I had the best healing skin and mild cystic acne before accutane--it made me scar and I hate my derm for not warning me that it could make things worse than better. I wanted to perfect my skin--now it sucks. I think he should pay--sorry for the vent.

you think since the 'tane been around for so long that the derms would actually remember to tell their patients that, hey not only it will give you all th is sideeffects but you might get scarring... the head of dermatology is a dumbass who made decision on accutane. also you think they could post a warning label on the medicine so we could all realize this early and be forewarn about the scarring.

I dont understand how you could be getting scars without any breakouts. I usually curse the HMO dermatologists who did not put me on accutane in my early twenties. I had stubborn acne but not severe acne. I noticed scars during a stressful time in college after 25. When I was younger I did not scar and that is why I believed the derms who told me i did not need the accutane. I insisted on the accutane because I kept breaking out in the same places repeatedly and started reading about accutane but they refused.

Could it be that when you have breakouts you are not noticing the scars and after you get clear with accutane, they become obvious to you?

NOOO! I had great skin tone, completely smooth before accutane--just one two two cysts on my face almost all the time. Then when I was on it I broke out like I never had for 5 months and then scars. When people saw me on accutane they would say they never knew I ever broke out--my dermatologist never needed to prescribe it to me. I'm just an unfortunate case. end of story. I hate when people refuse to understand and say that accutane does more good than harm--I say it depends on the person and we as patients should be given some warning. If I had know there was a small--10% say-- chance of scarring, I would have said no to accutane. I went on it to perfect my skin (aka no pimples to deal with and maybe help with pigmentation) and told my doctor this--that I wanted this because I wanted great skin for the following summer for my wedding. With all the stress that this medicine has caused me, and my plans to try to do something to help correct it, my wedding has been pushed back a year. I'm not trying to throw a pity party, just letting you know that not everything's so black and white.

NOOO! I had great skin tone, completely smooth before accutane--just one two two cysts on my face almost all the time. Then when I was on it I broke out like I never had for 5 months and then scars. When people saw me on accutane they would say they never knew I ever broke out--my dermatologist never needed to prescribe it to me. I'm just an unfortunate case. end of story. I hate when people refuse to understand and say that accutane does more good than harm--I say it depends on the person and we as patients should be given some warning. If I had know there was a small--10% say-- chance of scarring, I would have said no to accutane. I went on it to perfect my skin (aka no pimples to deal with and maybe help with pigmentation) and told my doctor this--that I wanted this because I wanted great skin for the following summer for my wedding. With all the stress that this medicine has caused me, and my plans to try to do something to help correct it, my wedding has been pushed back a year. I'm not trying to throw a pity party, just letting you know that not everything's so black and white.

That is terrible. Why the hell cant they tell you all the risks. Was this a low dose 10mg. If you were breaking out for 5 months really bad, wasnt there something else he could have done to control the initial accutane breakouts. Five months is a long time to keep getting breakouts. I hope your scars are not too bad and that you find something that does not make it worse like I did with exoderm. I wish we had exoderm in the U.S already.

Jasmin, thanks for replying. I was on 40, than 60, than 80 mgs. Have you had exoderm done? If so, how much/what way did it help you. I am thinking about having Rytech Portrait plasma resurfacing done this summer since Fraxel doesn't seem like anything great.

everyone IS different whether it be with their response to scar treatments or acne treatments. there are people who've posted pictures in the accutane forum here and their skin is like porcelain after 3 weeks of accutane. unless they're faking their photographs accutane is and has been a miracle drug for a lot of people including friends of mine and family who've used it in the 80s and 90s. that said though it doesnt work for everyone and like drewboy and others i believe that accutane is also where almost all of of my scarring came from. the reason most of you are probably not noticing scars until some time after stopping your course is because your skin then goes into a remodeling phase or up to a year or so. its not like the day after stopping accutane you can tell what your skin will look like in a years time. mother nature must do her roadwork. scars are sometimes difficult to detect when the skin is still remodeling/recovering from acne. what accutane did for me was not give me an initial breakout but cause me to break out terribly (the understatement of the 20th century) 3 months into the course. an HMO gp put me on it without trying anything else first, i.e. referring me to a good dermatologist. what also happened was my back broke out everywhere at the same time when id never had a blemish on my back prior to starting accutane. at 17 years old and not armed with any information/education on what else could have been done for me i was helpless. i stayed the course because they told me to stay the course. you cannot scar if you do not break out. if you break out or flare up severely and cystically and its not put under immediate control you're practically guaranteed scarred skin. theres just too many alternatives that are safer and better bets than accutane, that drug is dangerous whether it works or not for people and is supposed to be a last resort for resistant cystic acne. if they had treated me with lighter/less drastic methods, cortisone, antibiotics, and topicals my skin would be fine today im thoroughly convinced of that. the drug did absolutely nothing for me - the first two months were stagnant - the acne i had when i went originally went into the office went nowhere. a month later everything i had on my face blew up. the scarring i have now is from that horrible flare up. whenever a doctor who wasnt there tries to tell me accutane didnt do that i want to crunch him. even if that were true and accutane DID NOT cause me to flare and i got that way on my own the bottom line is still that accutane also didnt do anything to stop or reduce my acne in that time frame. i didnt have to go through all that in order to stop my acne. and still get it today years later. again if id been put on other meds and other alternatives to start i would have been saved because i know it would have been put under control and id never have had to experience what was coming to me 3 months into accutane

Scientifically, why do you get scars? How does it work?

The reason scars appear several months after you've already been clear is that the scarring is subcutaneous. One of two things can cause a delayed appearance: 1) The scar tissue takes a while to harden under your epidermis, at which point it starts to pull down the skin into an indentation, or 2) Post-acne inflammation keeps the skin plumped even though it's lost collagen underneath, and the scar doesn't start to show until the inflammation goes away. "Inflammation" doesn't necessarily mean that you have visible redness or swelling, either. The underlying collagen can be inflamed and keep your skin plumped without you seeing any evidence of it.

not sure if i'm going to have scars, i've been on it for over a month so its hard to tell....i don't think they'll scar.....just leave some red marks