Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
junkalunk

Help from the derm!

A little about myself. I'm 15, suffered from moderate/mild acne for two years and i've had ENOUGH. Currently a sophomore in highschool. And I'm sure most of you can relate with the emberrasment of acne with peers, especially when majority of your friends have THE most perfect clear skin. But thats besides the point.

My first ever visit with the derm was this morning.

She perscribed me the following:

CLINDAMYCIN PHOSPHATE topical solution

100 MG TETRACYCLIN (doxycycline hyclate)

DIFFERIN GEL

PADS (3% benzoyl peroxide)

Daily Use:

Morning- topical solution applied to pads wiped gebtly on skin.

Night-1 pill of tetracycline with food & 1 glass of water. Differin gel applied every other night for two weeks, then every night after and so on (due to dryness)

Pretty simple, I think. She said qoute "That should take care of it". My next appointment is in 6 weeks.

As of now, my skin certainly isnt at its worse. Around November of last year I was having horrible cystic breakouts all over my cheeks. And due to that I have quite a few scars. (Planning to use maderma once I clear up.) :)

I'll have pictures in my gallery by tomorrow, you can count on iy. hah , pm me for any questions I'll be glad to reply.

WISH ME LUCK :dance:

Just wondering. Did she gave you a good scheme how to use it? For example when using BP and an vitamin A acid topical at the same time they should decrease eachothers effect.

I have no experience with clyndamycin but I would seperate the BP and Differin for sure. Depending on your skin and the climate (especially the sun) in your area it might be the easiest to use the differin in the morning and the bp at night. You'd have to make that decision yourself. Every vitamin A acid can make your skin very weak to sundamage.

But then again I can imagine rather taking BP at night and only ruining your bedsheets instead of possibly you're daily clothing (BP bleaches).

Hi, thanks for your concern. And yes, they are seperated. I do not have one bit of sensitive skin, hahah more tough thick and oily, eh. I've used bp for a long period of time before so its nothing new to me, but the rest is. I hav'nt experienced ANY problems at all. And already I'm seeing a change. My skin feels much softer and the skin tone looks much more even. But then again when I went to see a derm my skin was beginning to clear up a bit, I do think its helping. It also might get worse before it gets better, i hope not.

Hi, thanks for your concern. And yes, they are seperated. I do not have one bit of sensitive skin, hahah more tough thick and oily, eh. I've used bp for a long period of time before so its nothing new to me, but the rest is. I hav'nt experienced ANY problems at all. And already I'm seeing a change. My skin feels much softer and the skin tone looks much more even. But then again when I went to see a derm my skin was beginning to clear up a bit, I do think its helping. It also might get worse before it gets better, i hope not.

OOPS! Just today I read that Differin can be applied right before or straight after BP without loss of effect of either one of them! Now it's an easy choice for me, I'm going to get myself some Differin :).

http://dermatology.about.com/od/topicals/a....htm?once=true&

Acne Treatment With Adapalene

* Newer topical retinoid

* Marketed as Differin

* Available as a gel or cream at 0.1% strength

* Major benefit is that it causes less skin irritation than tretinoin

* Stable in the presence of benzoyl peroxide, therefore they can be applied at the same time

* Treats acne as well as tretinoin

Go for it, apply wisely ;). I really think this should work.

I assume you have papustular acné? That sortof means you have lotsof 'inflammatory acné' (lot's of red spots and if it's there's a whitehead it's a pustul).

http://www.acne.org/typesofacne.html

http://www.usc.edu/student-affairs/Health_...nt/b4derm1.html -> good link, check 2nd and third pic from top. My acné leans very much towards the more severe papulopustular acné pic.

It's handy you get oral as well as topical antibiotics with it, this should sure speed up things. Later on you probably can drop them I guess (and eventually have to (because they're of bacterial resistance, but I think you know that, just speaking more general).

Let us know how it go! ;)