Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Why hasnt the US funded more research of the epidemic called acne. millions suffer every year and it even leads to suicide. Theyve put in so much money into cancer (yes it is a deadly disease) and the cure rate is 99% if caught early. What is so hard/complicated about acne that these genius scientists cant create a cure for it? I kinow there will be one within the next 20-30 years, but that will do me no good. I see my brother starting to get oily, and i just cant bear telling him what hes about to be up against for his teen years (hes in 7th grade). Yes acne is not a disease, it doesnt have cells that move into your body and things like that, but it is as serious as some diseases. I just dont understand what is stopping these scientists from making a SAFE permanent 100% guaranteed cure. If someone can create a vaccine for polio and the flu, why cant someone create a cure for acne? Too bad i hate science, or i would go into this field when i get into college. For all u science people, do me a favor and FIND A DAMN CURE!!

Why hasnt the US funded more research of the epidemic called acne. millions suffer every year and it even leads to suicide. Theyve put in so much money into cancer (yes it is a deadly disease) and the cure rate is 99% if caught early. What is so hard/complicated about acne that these genius scientists cant create a cure for it? I kinow there will be one within the next 20-30 years, but that will do me no good. I see my brother starting to get oily, and i just cant bear telling him what hes about to be up against for his teen years (hes in 7th grade). Yes acne is not a disease, it doesnt have cells that move into your body and things like that, but it is as serious as some diseases. I just dont understand what is stopping these scientists from making a SAFE permanent 100% guaranteed cure. If someone can create a vaccine for polio and the flu, why cant someone create a cure for acne? Too bad i hate science, or i would go into this field when i get into college. For all u science people, do me a favor and FIND A DAMN CURE!!

They (corporations, scientists, etc) are researching acne at the moment but acne is difficult to find a cure all because of the fact that different people are affected in different ways. Also, genetics plays a role and with the genetic research happening today, there very will could be an answer as to how to stop acne before it occurs. You also have to realize that although acne is a horrible ailment and be detrimental physically and mentally, its not life threatening in most cases. Thats why more money is poured into cancer research, etc. Another reason may be because of the drug companies competing with each other instead of working together to find answers/cures to life's many problems.

They (corporations, scientists, etc) are researching acne at the moment but acne is difficult to find a cure all because of the fact that different people are affected in different ways. Also, genetics plays a role and with the genetic research happening today, there very will could be an answer as to how to stop acne before it occurs. You also have to realize that although acne is a horrible ailment and be detrimental physically and mentally, its not life threatening in most cases. Thats why more money is poured into cancer research, etc. Another reason may be because of the drug companies competing with each other instead of working together to find answers/cures to life's many problems.

Although acne is not a life threatening condition, but scientists reasearch the sphere where they can smell A LOT OF MONEY if being succesful in it. Acne sufferers spend BILLIONS for anti-acne supplements. So yeah, I dont know either why there still isnt a miracle cure.

So yeah, I dont know either why there still isnt a miracle cure.

There is. It's called Accutane. It's not very often that there is a chronic condition where you can take a drug for a short period of time and see such phenomenal results, and not need to continue to pop that pill for the rest of your life. There are side effects, but drugs always have side effects. They aren't pouring money into acne because it's not life-threatening, because most people think you will just grow out of it (because most people do), and because there is already an amazingly effective treatment on the market. There would a public outcry if large amounts of funds were funneled into acne research over things that are killing people's loved ones like cancer and diabetes and heart diesase. Get some perspective.

Im not saygin its a good thing to stop all other researches and start everything on acne. Im just curious why scientists arent interested in REALLY big bucks :rolleyes: . However I think it only looks simple, but its not.

i understand what beentheredonethat is saying. but i wish there was an easy cure. wouldnt it be nice to go to the doctor get a jab and your acne is gone in the morning....ahhh that would be sweet

I agree. They spend money doing dumb ass studies on how people tend to look like their pets or how attractive people get more dates or dumb shit like that. Look how much money is spent prodding into obesity and what makes people fat! And that is something that is their own fault,(I don't care what anybody say, if you are fat it's because you eat too much and don't excercise. Not your fucking thyroid.) I would rather be fat than have acne cuz then I could excercise and diet. There is nothing I can do about this fucking curse!

I have often wondered the same thing. Just from skimming this board for five minutes (and there are lots of other sites out there) you can see the potential, as far as money making. It's clear any one of us would do ANYTHING to cure this problem; and lots of us have spent big bucks already, with little or no results. Acne in adults seems to be getting worse, too. I don't remember my friends' parents having acne when I was a teenager; now I'm in my forties, and most of my friends are suffering with it. WEIRD!

Guest Fraser

1- there are already studies being done to further increase our understanding of the causes of acne and potential cures

2- it will be difficult to find a solution more effective then isotretinoin (the drug produced by the company Roaccutane)

3- people won't pour big bucks into acne research if they don't think anything better than isotretinoin will be found.

Since the government can't afford to be seen wasting money on what many would describe as needless research it is down to private investors and drug companies.

Its all about risk, reward, cost of investment and pay back period (the time it takes for the investment to make profit).

Unfortunately the costs of research are huge, the risk of failure is near 100%, the payback period will be extremely long , even if a new miracle cure is found, due to the preliminary safety research that must be done (hundreds of thousands of human trials for Aspirin were conducted before it was declared safe).

Yes the rewards could be huge but if you had to wait up to 15 years to make profit out of it and had a tiny chance of success would you invest?

They aren't researching acne cures for the same reason why they aren't researching cleaner/safer/cheaper energy alternatives. It's because the manufacturers don't WANT to find a cure. Neutrogena/Clearasil/Oxy/et al. make billions of dollars every year on people who are trying to control their acne. If a permanent solution is found (that does not have the nasty side-effects of Accutane), those companies would be out of business. Since private corporations are the main financiers of medical research, it's very hard for scientists to find someone who will finance research to find a CURE ...more effective methods of control, yes, but not a cure.

So unless the government decides that acne research is more important than, say, cancer/AIDS/etc., I doubt we'll be seeing a cure for acne any time so.

Many of you are forgetting one thing: the answer to almost every question is money.

It is MUCH, MUCH more profitable to treat the symptoms moderately well than it is to address the solution and do it well all the time.

Imagine there was a simple shot that would get rid of acne? There goes a multi-billion dollar industry overnight, not to mention tens of thousands of jobs, and hundreds of millions in tax revenue.

Accutane takes care of severe acne, and the rest can suffer with moderate. Thats how it works, unfortunately. Thank god I'm on accutane...

Guest Fraser

They aren't researching acne cures for the same reason why they aren't researching cleaner/safer/cheaper energy alternatives. It's because the manufacturers don't WANT to find a cure. Neutrogena/Clearasil/Oxy/et al. make billions of dollars every year on people who are trying to control their acne. If a permanent solution is found (that does not have the nasty side-effects of Accutane), those companies would be out of business. Since private corporations are the main financiers of medical research, it's very hard for scientists to find someone who will finance research to find a CURE ...more effective methods of control, yes, but not a cure.

So unless the government decides that acne research is more important than, say, cancer/AIDS/etc., I doubt we'll be seeing a cure for acne any time so.

That isn't the case.

If the market was a monopoly (one company dominating the market) this might be the case but as it is there appears to be healthy competition in which each company is attempting to produce better products than the other. In fact i would say that the race is on to find an acne cure because a company that does would outcompete every other company in the market.

In other words if a cure was found, every company would be out of business apart from the one with rights to the cure.

A general collaboration amongst major companies to prevent progress in the way ure describing sounds very dodgy to me. There are laws in place (i think) to prevent stuff like that.

It's simple.... because of $$$$$$$$$$$ *money*

Think about it... there are vaccines for Polio, Small Pox and tons of other terrible and fatal diseases, but Scientists can't cure acne??? We can send people to the moon, to outerspace..... we can send emails, and make cell phone calls where our voices travel through soundwaves and wires, but we can't find a cure for acne??? All that stuff sounds impossible, but it's wasn't just like finding a cure for acne is impossible.

They can they just don't want to because there's a lot of money being made in the cosmetic industry now so more than ever. Think about it, we have people spending tons of money on cosmetic procedures for their skin, trying to stop the signs of aging, trying to stop skin damage, trying to stop acne from coming back. We live in a society that sort of judges people based on their outward appearances more than anything else. It's all over the television. Perfection rules our pop culture and to feel good about ourselves, we pay a lot of money to better our appearance. There's so much money being made by companies that swear their products are the solution for peoples' acne problems. We buy both their idea and their product, only to come out of it saddened because our hopes were let down. I don't know really... sort of corrupt I guess. I'm probably very wrong though! I tend to be wrong a lot. *smiles!* :)

they are corrupt and it makes me sick. You would think the world would come across a powerful leader who had acne as a teen and sympathize towards us. I hate humans!! Why do they have to be so mean and greedy?

Think about it... there are vaccines for Polio, Small Pox and tons of other terrible and fatal diseases, but Scientists can't cure acne??? We can send people to the moon, to outerspace..... we can send emails, and make cell phone calls where our voices travel through soundwaves and wires, but we can't find a cure for acne??? All that stuff sounds impossible, but it's wasn't just like finding a cure for acne is impossible.

To be perfectly fair, vaccines are ... vaccines. They are fairly easy to make (you essentially infect a healthy person with a small amount of the virus/bacteria so that the body can build antibodies). Acne is much harder to "cure," because there are a number of causes, not just the p. acnes bacteria. It's very like the common cold in the respect that it's a little different for every person, which makes it very hard to pin down a general cure for everyone.

I agree. They spend money doing dumb ass studies on how people tend to look like their pets or how attractive people get more dates or dumb shit like that. Look how much money is spent prodding into obesity and what makes people fat! And that is something that is their own fault,(I don't care what anybody say, if you are fat it's because you eat too much and don't excercise. Not your fucking thyroid.) I would rather be fat than have acne cuz then I could excercise and diet. There is nothing I can do about this fucking curse!

For some people. it is there thyroid. I had a friend, who from about birth was severly overweight.

The reason why there is not much research on cures for acne is because it's a lucrative cash cow.

That's the bottom line. The whole beauty industry is a multi-billion dollar a year business, and this includes companies like Neutrogena that are only interested in keeping your butts down on your computer as you search for a topical treatment.

Please, this is not spam, but take a look at the candida=acne thread in the holistic/diet forum.

Many of you are forgetting one thing: the answer to almost every question is money.

It is MUCH, MUCH more profitable to treat the symptoms moderately well than it is to address the solution and do it well all the time.

Imagine there was a simple shot that would get rid of acne? There goes a multi-billion dollar industry overnight, not to mention tens of thousands of jobs, and hundreds of millions in tax revenue.

Accutane takes care of severe acne, and the rest can suffer with moderate. Thats how it works, unfortunately. Thank god I'm on accutane...

that's exactly why there isn't a cure. The Pharmaceutical and cosmetic industries do not won't a cure to be found or else they will go broke. They are willingly to pay millions to scientist who are researching a cure to stop their research.