Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

i just got perscribed tazorac.

anyone have any experience with it? how long does it take to start working? is the initial breakout period bad? how long does it last?

specifically, anyone with mild-moderate acne and oily skin?

any feedback would be appreciated.

Hey lakewood.

I've been on T (short for tazorac) for four months now, and I will advocate it forever. I had persistant moderate acne, and tazorac, being a retinoid, stopped the break outs, and because it exfoliates your skin, helped with removing red marks that I'd had for YEARS. Follow the instructions, and always use moisturizer with a sunscreen otherwise you'll look like a tomato.

My breakout period lasted only about 2 weeks and was nowhere near as bad as the ones I had with retin-a or differin. Like I said, T helps with removing the red marks, so any new pimples you get won't leave marks that last for what feels like an eternity. One thing I did was apply BP to individual spots (not all over, this is way too irritating [-X ) Also, don't try to exfoliate (i.e don't use scrubs, washcloths and so on) There is no need and it will just irritate you more.

The one thing T didn't do was help with the oiliness of my face :D . It did stop the oil from clogging my pores, but not the actual production of oil. I'm looking into trying birth control pills for that.

Try searching the message board for tazorac, there are several posts out there about it. You can even search the web for mroe info too.

I don't know why more derms dont prescribe T as it is the only option I had left besides accutane (which, thank god, I didn't have to try! :D/

Feel free to pm if you have any more questions.

Jen

What moisturizure do you recommend? I feel that moisturizer will make me breakout more. I use Miocyclein 100 ml twice daily and tazorac, my face is dry!

I've noticed that too, that my skin isn't any less oiler. Maybe it's because I am on the cream though (which is for sensitive skin) rather than the gel (which is probably for oily skin). Are you on the cream too tulipa? I'm thinking of going to the gel somewhere down the road but don't know if that's a bad choice.

hey tulip, i just stopped taz after 5 mos cuz i ran out of prescrip. I thought I'd try dan's regime for a bit to keep me clear. taz was great, it actually worked. But it was awful the first month. I got tomato red and burned from the sun cuz i didn't sunscreen. I looked like a chemo patient and it was hard to leave the house. But the red went away when I started using it less. Did you use it everyday?

I've been on Tazorac for about 5 days, but I think I can already see quite a difference.

I've only had one pimple surface since starting Tazorac, but it started before I started the Tazorac... so I kind of expected it to come up anyway.

But my skin is smoother and it's strange not feeling any pimples coming up anywhere. My regimen is Cleocin T in the morning, and Tazorac in the evening. Before applying either I wash with Lever 2000 cloths. I still have some red marks from older zits, but they're just marks, so it doesn't bother me, they'll go away soon.

I really had no expectations, but if it keeps working like this, wow.

I think the key is to use only a tiny little pea-sized amount of Tazorac. A lot of people that had trouble with Tazorac seemed to use more, which supposedly irritates the skin. So if you ever get Tazorac, just use a pea-sized amount for your entire face, and just trust that it's enough.

Thanks for the advice and help everybody, hopefully I'm done with acne.

Do you leave it on overnight or wash it off after a period of time? My derm said to wash it off after 2-3 mins, but I haven't noticed any resulting redness/drying so I usually go for 5 mins. Something tells me it just can't be fully effective in 2 short minutes.

Nope I just leave it on. I don't wash afterwards, but I don't go straight to bed either. A pea sized amount gets spread so thin it's not like there's a whole layer of the stuff on your face, and I have had only the tiniest bit of redness on the second or third day.

It also might be worth mentioning that I'm using the cream, not the gel.

I'm no dermatologist but I'd recommend trying to leave it on for a night or so, and if nothing goes wrong, keep leaving it on, and you'd probably get more treatment over the longer time period.

I've been on Tazorac for about a year and it's worked great for me. I hardly ever break out, and when I do it's not even noticeable. I'm on Tazorac Cream .1% which I apply at night. I'm also on Klaron 10% which I apply morning and evening. Tazorac started working in about two weeks for me and I had no initial breakout period. I agree with everyone else that it does not get rid of the oilyness though. I haven't really found anything that does. Good luck. I hope Tazorac works for you. :-

I'm on tazorac .05 cream to start out...using it every other night. Hopefully, moving to every night soon, as my skin gets used to it. Will .05 cream work? or do i need .1?? Also, whats better the cream or gel??? I have very highly sensative skin, however I also have oily, clogged skin..VERY VERY VERY STUBBORN WHITEHEADS AND BLACKHEADS!!! :D

So, should I switch to .1%?? using cream or gel??

Additionally, what do you guys cleans with?? I change my cleansers so often I odnt even know what Im using anymore. Ive tried them all. I kinda alternate depending on my mood. Are trying different cleansers bad for you??

anyone's advice is welcome!!

thanks!

I went straight into the .1 cream and didn't have any problems. About 2 weeks in there was slight dryness. And recently I put too much near the corner of my mouth and it totally dried out and turned all red.

When I started out I used it every night with the .1, and I thought it was an over-perscription. But I really had no side effects. I wouldn't worry too much about using it every day or using the .1. Just use a pea sized amount for the whole face and you probably won't get it too bad.

And if you do ever over-apply and get redness like crazy, I've found the fastest way to de-red is to apply ice. Just like if you got punched in the face, and it seems to help me a lot so far. Also I've used neosporin, but I think the ice does more to remove redness.

That's all the advice I can give.

Thanks everyone for your advice and help in the past couple weeks.

Hmmm...is Taz Cream more effective at night? Ive been taking it in the morning, even though my derm told me to take it at night. I was getting really bad oilyness when I was using it night, but I think I solved that problem...So I might switch it back to night and put the Benzaclyn on in the morning...

I've been on Benzaclin and Doryx (pills) for 2 yrs now and just recently have I seen a big improvement, but last week I got Tazorac .05% from my dermo. I really haven't experienced dryness or a decrease in oil, but I have seen a -slight- increase in breakouts. I'm guessing this is normal since I just started it 2 days ago? I used to use Benzaclin at night, but Ive switched to morning cause Taz goes on at night. A lot of my scars have gone away, and Im not really worried about new breakouts cause I'm used to em and it's never as bad as it was before I was treated. But random question, does Tazorac help with cystic acne? I've got serious issues on my neck, back and chest and the T doesn't seem to be doing nearly as much as Benzaclin used to.

I've used Tazorac for about a year. I used retin-A for years and years and years. Doc switched me to Tazorac because she said it's slightly better for cysts and the absolute best for blackheads/whiteheads.

It works best when used at night. and the worse your acne, the stronger you should go...I use the cream, gel is too hard to work with for me...hard to put any other products on top of it.

Anyway, i haven't noticed any big improvement over retin-a...but my skin is mostly clear, just the occasional breakout.

I hate getting zits, but from all the years of retin-A/tazorac I have to tell you, I look like a kid...aside from breakouts on occassion, my skin is extremely smooth and youthful, people are amazed at how old I really am...But, being Sicilian also helps I guess. My moms skin is amazing.

Hey guys..everyone still doing okay with Tazorac? I was wondering, what does everyone on Taz use in the mornings use to wash with? I know most people use mild cleansers, but I need something with an acne fighting ingredient or my skin will go nutso (plus my skin can handle almost anything). Anywho what works best for everyone?