Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mrs Jenkins

liver cleanses in disguise

I posted saying that my acne cleared on the homo optimus diet, a very high fat diet. I was reading more about the diet today and I read that it removes gall stones and takes the burden off the liver. This sounds exactly like a liver flush. No wonder it worked so well. It is basically like doing a liver flush everyday.

I am also wondering if wai's diet is basically a liver flush as well. One of wai's most recommended cocktails consists of freshly squeezed orange juice and olive oil. Now this sounds just like the recipe for a liver flush too.

Basically you lower your carbs and proteins while raising your fat intake. You liberally use olive oil, real butter and cream. It sounds bizarre, but it got rid of my acne like nothing else.

I'm glad you cleared up your skin, but I don't see how a high-fat diet could remove all stones. If you did something to break up the stones, then eating a lot of fat could push some out, but it would probably take forever to get rid of all of them that way. I've been eating pretty high-fat for awhile, and I've gotten out lots of stones with my 4 flushes.

High fat low protein diets are even worse than high carb low protein diets when it comes to malnutrition. I would not be surprised at all if it at least doubled your risk for heart disease as well. Acne forums are not a good place to get nutritional advice.

Hey, I wasn't advising people to try this diet. However, I let myself be a guinea pig and I did discover that the high fat diet cleared my skin. And it didn't just clear my skin, it was smooth and glowing-no inflammation whatsoever. In addition, my normally tight spine became loose and comfortable. The hair on my legs started growing very slowly. I did feel better.

Being scared that I was doing some horrible damage to myself, I went off it and went back to my normally healthy diet (low GI grains, fresh fruits and good fats, some protein). All my crummy problems came back in an instant :cry: .

Then I went on it again because the inflammation on my face not only looks bad, but is itchy too. I just couldn't stand it anymore. I've read that a subset of the population actually thrives on a high fat/protein diet. Some people's blood lipid profile actually improves dramatically as a result. Other people's gets worse. There is NO way to tell unless you get checked which reminds me, I should make an appointment to get my blood checked.

I wish that I could have more qualified guidance, but unfortunately my doctors only offer anti-biotics and birth control. I am tired of that route (which was fairly ineffective).

Mrs. Jenkins,

I took a look at that diet... and holy moly.... Do you really eat that way? I looked at the sample menus, and I guess I was just shocked at the lack of vegetables. The diet seems to consist mainly of eggs (and LOTS of them!) meat (sausage and bacon), lots of butter and lard (where does one even get lard?), a few potatoes and maybe some cabbage thrown in once every five days. I'm not judging....I'm just curious. Is that pretty much how you eat?

Mrs. Jenkins,

I took a look at that diet... and holy moly.... Do you really eat that way? I looked at the sample menus, and I guess I was just shocked at the lack of vegetables. The diet seems to consist mainly of eggs (and LOTS of them!) meat (sausage and bacon), lots of butter and lard (where does one even get lard?), a few potatoes and maybe some cabbage thrown in once every five days. I'm not judging....I'm just curious. Is that pretty much how you eat?

That sounds exactly like the way my boyfriend and his family eat (yes they even cook with lard). They are from Poland....

Yeah, I guess the dr. who promotes/prescribes it is Polish. You should do a little experiment for us, LabGirl. Eat what your boyfriend eats and see if your acne goes away. :D

You should see the "bread" recipes for this diet. It's like 15 eggs, 1/2 cup of flour and baking soda. Very interesting.....

Yeah, I guess the dr. who promotes/prescribes it is Polish. You should do a little experiment for us, LabGirl. Eat what your boyfriend eats and see if your acne goes away. :D

You should see the "bread" recipes for this diet. It's like 15 eggs, 1/2 cup of flour and baking soda. Very interesting.....

I try to avoid his food....pierogies are okay.....but anything else is loaded with saturated fat (not the good kind) and he actually thinks a baked potato is a vegetable. The only "good" thing they eat is saurkraut....fermented cabbage.....that can't be too bad.......

I'm trying to get Accutane in the next couple months and I don't want to send my triglycerides and cholesterol levels through the roof. as soon as this Ivory soap bet ends I'm going back to a do nothing approach. I eat a decent diet. I shop at Whole Foods, and eat a lot of fruits and veggies. I eat fatty fish at least three or four times a week and I don't eat processed food at all. I try to limit my sugar intake to about 25g a day (counting things like honey and maple syrup, not just refined sugar). So far my skin's not clear, and my current diet is restrictive enough as it is......I couldn't imagine not having a little milk every now and then, or eliminating grains or whatnot.......I eat to just be healthy in general.....not to cure my acne....

I honestly don't thing I could stomach some of their food......I thing that much fat in a mael would just do me dirty later.......and I cringe at the thought of blood sausage....

I wonder what would happen to my acne if I ate like that....

I wasn't going to do another bet......but if they're someting in it for me....I could be persuaded ...hehe

I have 20$ and a free sushi lunch on the line for the Ivory soap thing (and a whole bunch of pimples and wrinkles too).......

I try to avoid his food....pierogies are okay.....but anything else is loaded with saturated fat (not the good kind) and he actually thinks a baked potato is a vegetable. The only "good" thing they eat is saurkraut....fermented cabbage.....that can't be too bad.......

I'm trying to get Accutane in the next couple months and I don't want to send my triglycerides and cholesterol levels through the roof. as soon as this Ivory soap bet ends I'm going back to a do nothing approach. I eat a decent diet. I shop at Whole Foods, and eat a lot of fruits and veggies. I eat fatty fish at least three or four times a week and I don't eat processed food at all. I try to limit my sugar intake to about 25g a day (counting things like honey and maple syrup, not just refined sugar). So far my skin's not clear, and my current diet is restrictive enough as it is......I couldn't imagine not having a little milk every now and then, or eliminating grains or whatnot.......I eat to just be healthy in general.....not to cure my acne....

I honestly don't thing I could stomach some of their food......I thing that much fat in a mael would just do me dirty later.......and I cringe at the thought of blood sausage....

I wonder what would happen to my acne if I ate like that....

I wasn't going to do another bet......but if they're someting in it for me....I could be persuaded ...hehe

I have 20$ and a free sushi lunch on the line for the Ivory soap thing (and a whole bunch of pimples and wrinkles too).......

I have not tried this diet, and have no intention to at the moment... But if I'm not mistaken, that diet considers saturated fat to be a "good fat" and that unsaturates need to be minimized (because of rancidity and processing, etc.. which isn't a problem for you as you are careful about that sort of thing). They justify this by saying human breast milk is mostly saturated fat (is this true????). Also, they say that saturated fat is more directly bio available to be used as energy ... or something similar to that. I'm not clear on that.. I'm no expert on that diet. One thing is for sure- the diet's recommendations are unusual. Just another example of how nearly everything can be considered "bad" or "good" depending on which expert you cite... (and by that, I'm not trying to imply that there is a vast number of "experts" suggesting that saturated fat is good for you [if eaten absent of high carbs]... they are in a tiny, unsupported minority, as far as I can tell)

But if I'm not mistaken, that diet considers saturated fat to be a "good fat" and that unsaturates need to be minimized (because of rancidity and processing, etc.. which isn't a problem for you as you are careful about that sort of thing). They justify this by saying human breast milk is mostly saturated fat (is this true????). Also, they say that saturated fat is more directly bio available to be used as energy ... or something similar to that. I'm not clear on that.. I'm no expert on that diet. One thing is for sure- the diet's recommendations are unusual. Just another example of how nearly everything can be considered "bad" or "good" depending on which expert you cite... (and by that, I'm not trying to imply that there is a vast number of "experts" suggesting that saturated fat is good for you [if eaten absent of high carbs]... they are in a tiny, unsupported minority, as far as I can tell)

Certain saturated fats are beneficial for the body, including the saturated fats in coconut oil which contain fatty acids that ARE involved in human breast milk (lauric acid, capric acid, caprylic acid). Also, grass fed butter has CLA in it which can help many things. Almost any polyunsaturated vegetable oil you buy in the stores has already been rendered oxidized and rancid due to the processes used in the factories, and with so many things with canola oil / safflower oil / similar oils in them instead of trans fat now, you're consuming large amounts in your diet even if you eat a lot of store bought food. A little digression on canola oil, apparently it can make you go deficient in vitamin E. Anyways, the point is with these oxidized vegetable oils (if they're cold pressed and refrigerated in the store, thats the exception) promote a large amount of free radicals in our body as well as adding too many omega 6's (cause inflammation). The solution is to use grass fed butter and coconut oil for cooking and baking at home, olive / seseame oil for other things (both have long traditional use and resist rancidity), eliminate ALL trans fats and try to cut down on other products with things like canola oil in them (though it would be ridiculously hard to eliminate these too, since they're cheap oils used in so many things and promoted as 'healthy' by the industry).

As far as animal saturated fats, I believe those to be the bad ones even though some sources will tell you otherwise. But coconut oil is definitely one of the healthiest sourcse of saturated fats you can get, just do your research.

Certain saturated fats are beneficial for the body, including the saturated fats in coconut oil which contain fatty acids that ARE involved in human breast milk (lauric acid, capric acid, caprylic acid). Also, grass fed butter has CLA in it which can help many things. Almost any polyunsaturated vegetable oil you buy in the stores has already been rendered oxidized and rancid due to the processes used in the factories, and with so many things with canola oil / safflower oil / similar oils in them instead of trans fat now, you're consuming large amounts in your diet even if you eat a lot of store bought food. A little digression on canola oil, apparently it can make you go deficient in vitamin E. Anyways, the point is with these oxidized vegetable oils (if they're cold pressed and refrigerated in the store, thats the exception) promote a large amount of free radicals in our body as well as adding too many omega 6's (cause inflammation). The solution is to use grass fed butter and coconut oil for cooking and baking at home, olive / seseame oil for other things (both have long traditional use and resist rancidity), eliminate ALL trans fats and try to cut down on other products with things like canola oil in them (though it would be ridiculously hard to eliminate these too, since they're cheap oils used in so many things and promoted as 'healthy' by the industry).

Sound advice.

As far as animal saturated fats, I believe those to be the bad ones even though some sources will tell you otherwise.

Yeah, the homo optimus diet, specifically, is a source that advocates saturated animal fats. (however, how good of a source is the homo optimus? I dunno...)

_

Yeah, the homo optimus diet, specifically, is a source that advocates saturated animal fats. (however, how good of a source is the homo optimus? I dunno...)

Who knows. Some people just tend to thrive more on high carb diets, some do better on high fat diets, some on high protein, high fiber, or whatever. There is no single diet that can accomodate all people.

I think, since the high fat diet helped clear you, you should return but be more consciouss of the fats you eat. Get more fish and nuts as well as coconut oil in your diet, and cut out all the trans and eat animal fats in moderation.

But if I'm not mistaken, that diet considers saturated fat to be a "good fat" and that unsaturates need to be minimized (because of rancidity and processing, etc.. which isn't a problem for you as you are careful about that sort of thing). They justify this by saying human breast milk is mostly saturated fat (is this true????). Also, they say that saturated fat is more directly bio available to be used as energy ... or something similar to that. I'm not clear on that.. I'm no expert on that diet. One thing is for sure- the diet's recommendations are unusual. Just another example of how nearly everything can be considered "bad" or "good" depending on which expert you cite... (and by that, I'm not trying to imply that there is a vast number of "experts" suggesting that saturated fat is good for you [if eaten absent of high carbs]... they are in a tiny, unsupported minority, as far as I can tell)

As far as animal saturated fats, I believe those to be the bad ones even though some sources will tell you otherwise. But coconut oil is definitely one of the healthiest sourcse of saturated fats you can get, just do your research.

I agree for the most part. There are benificial saturated fats, and not so good ones. And you're right. That big bottle od Wesson Vegetable oil or Canola oil at the grocery store that is suppoesed to be healthy, becaues it's unsaturated and it has a high smoke point......has already been oxidized during the extraction. I only buy unsaturated oils if they are cold pressed and the bottles are nitrogen flushed. And I tend to use them up quickly. I only cook with saturated fats like butter or coconut oil (only for Asian type dishes).....

^ ^ ^ Sounds like you know your stuff as well as I do then. :)

Those big bottles of canola oil are useless. Nothing beats coconut oil, it tastes better, enhances the flavor better, holds pastries / muffins / other treats together better / adds more moisture for baking, and is worlds better for frying.

^ ^ ^ Sounds like you know your stuff as well as I do then. :)

Those big bottles of canola oil are useless. Nothing beats coconut oil, it tastes better, enhances the flavor better, holds pastries / muffins / other treats together better / adds more moisture for baking, and is worlds better for frying.

I finally found a healthstore near me. They have everything you guys discuss eating except for the coconut oil.

As far as animal saturated fats, I believe those to be the bad ones even though some sources will tell you otherwise.

Jesus, that old-fashioned saturated-versus-unsaturated crap seems so...1950's or something, like back when they thought that heart disease is caused by eating more than 3 eggs per week! ;)

I wish people would simply use the following as their general rule-of-thumb: the only "bad" fats are OXIDIZED fats and TRANS-fats. Don't lose any sleep over the degree of saturation or unsaturation in the fats you eat. Follow the general principles of good nutrition and eat a variety of foods, and make sure you get plenty of the nutrients required for good heart health and fat metabolism.

Bryan

I wish people would simply use the following as their general rule-of-thumb: the only "bad" fats are OXIDIZED fats and TRANS-fats. Don't lose any sleep over the degree of saturation or unsaturation in the fats you eat. Follow the general principles of good nutrition and eat a variety of foods, and make sure you get plenty of the nutrients required for good heart health and fat metabolism.

Yeah, I totally agree.

Read:

http://www.westonaprice.org/knowyourfats/skinny.html

http://www.theomnivore.com/Malmo_Study_2005.html

How much evidence do people need?

To date, some 26 long-term follow-up studies, ranging in length from 4 to 23 years, have examined the relationship between saturated fat intake and cardiovascular disease.[1-26] We are constantly told that saturated fat is a toxic "artery-clogger", yet only four of these studies have managed to detect even desperately weak statistical associations between saturated fat and CHD/CVD mortality. One study observed a protective relationship, while all the rest found no association at all.

Even more importantly, controlled clinical trials--which represent far more reliable evidence than confounder-prone epidemiological studies--have completely failed to show any CVD or total mortality benefit for individuals randomized to saturated fat restricted diets.[27]

I'm not quite sure just how much more non-supportive evidence we need before the establishment and the general public finally dump this whole idiotic anti-saturated fat charade. Given the massive amounts of money to be made from the low-fat/anti-cholesterol agenda, and the massive loss of face that would be suffered by all those so-called "prestigious" and "respectable" health organizations who have so vigorously promoted this charade, it appears nothing short of some cataclysmic event will bring about such a change anytime soon.

For those still fretting over the role of saturated fats in their diet, realize that the human species has been eating animal foods containing these perfectly natural and healthy fats for some 2.4 million years. It amazes me how people still recoil in horror at the sight of fresh untrimmed meat, yet have no qualms about eating all manner of highly-processed and nutrient-depleted packaged junk.

What a sterling tribute to the power of establishment propaganda…