Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I want to buy this Neutrogena Facial Moisturizer that contains an alpha hydroxy acid. The majority of the Neutrogena line say "Non-comedogenic". The one I want says "won't clog pores" but does not have Non-comedogenic anywhere on the box or bottle. Does anyone know why this is? What is the difference, Non-comedogenic just means won't clog pores?

Basically I want to know why most say Non-comedogenic, but this one just says "won't clog pores"

THe only thing I want to know is though, why all the Neutrogena products that says "Non-comedogenic" AND "won't clog pores" but this one only says "won't clog pores".

"Non-comedogenic"= "won't clog pores".

If a product states "won't clog pores" anywhere on the package, it is by defination "Non-comedogenic" it's just a dumbed down way of saying it.....the required comdeogenicity testing must be done, the product must pass the test and eveything must be documented......or the company gets a hefty fine from our friends over at the FDA (unless you're not in the states)

Watch out for the term "oil -free" though, just because someting is "oil -free" it may still be comediogenic, or the testing for comedogenicity may not have been done.....

Another term to look out for is "non-acneic." or non-acnegenic." These means whatever the hell the company wants them to mean.....they has no meaning to FDA whatsoever..........and there is no standarized test for this claim.......

On and any products containing SA (salicylic acid) don't have to be tested for comedogenicity.....they automatically pass and the company gets to claim "non-comedogenic".

Oh you poor consumers...........

Well, the exact wording on the bottle is "oil free so it won't clog pores"

This is the one, but on the actual box it says "won't clog pores"

http://www.neutrogena.ca/en/product_details.asp?id=64

They do claim non-comedogenic......the wording on the package would get them in big trouble if they couldn't substantiant the claim that it "won't clog pores"........And the FDA watches Neutrogena (J&J) like a hawk....they have too much to risk....

I guess I just don't understand why all other Neutrogena products I see advertise NON COMEDOGENIC in bold print on the box, and on this box it's nowhere to be seen....

Urgh - yes she did, but my point is just that I don't know why they wouldn't advertise Non-comedogenic AND won't clog pores like they do on all their other products.

Maybe they are experimenting to see if using just one term puts people into a hopeless mental loop where their brain short circuits as they try to figure out WHY WHY WHY?

Seriously, why does it matter? The terms are interchangeable. If they are using only the "easy" term, chalk it up to marketing and get on with your life.

i understand why chris is hesitant...it appears as tho they did not pass the test for comedogenicity (sp? oops) because if they had they would have put it on the box. but labgirl and everyone else here seems to agree that they didnt put it for other reasons. if they put "wont clog pores" then it must be non-comedogenic. i would not worry chris (but i sympathize with your confusion/hesitation) Neutrogena should be consistent, cus they confuse warry consumers like you and I!