Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
facetia

Um...ow. I have this tumor-looking lump on my neck.

I have no idea if these have anything to do with each other, but I've never had this before, so...who knows.

Anyway, I'm going through the initial breakout on Retin-A. It's really bad. I'm breaking out where I'd never had pimples before (forehead, nose, chin). But right now, that's not even bothering me, because I know this is normal and it'll get better (...right? Need encouragement!).

What *is* bothering me is this huge, rubber-ball-size lump at the top of my neck. It's not an acne cyst. It looks like a tumor cyst or something, and I just noticed it this morning. Okay, I'm at work, so I can't take a picture now, but it looks like this, only smaller: http://home.hawaii.rr.com/dochazenfield/images/NeckLump.jpg

What the hell is this? Has anyone else gotten a weird neck lump while using Retin-A? It's not just there, either--it HURTS. I noticed because I can barely move my neck without pain. I have no idea what's going on. Help. :(

Thanks!

Hello, I tried to look at the picture but a blank screen came up. Its prob my computer just playing up cos its been being funny all day! I would go to the doc to find out what it is though. I haven't been on retin-A. But I had a lump on my chin once, it was huge, took up the entire side of my chin, it hurt so bad, couldn't move my chin, felt like I'd been punched in the neck. After about 3 days it started to turn into a whole cluster of small cysts. It was just a really bad outbreak developing in one area. But I would still go to the docs if its cuasing you that much pain, just to be safe.

if it is truly as big as a rubber ball, then yea you need to let your derm check that out. It may be a cyst that needs injecting, but do see your doctor/derm to be sure.

Okay, guys, I had a co-worker look at it and he said it's just a really swollen lymph node. Probably an early warning sign of an upper respiratory infection. Weird, I've heard of swollen glands before, but I've never had them. Never had mono or chicken pox or measles or the like.

So, apparently it has nothing to do with the Retin-A--just coincidence. I'm going home for Easter weekend anyway, and my dad's a doc, so if it's still there this weekend I'll let him look at it and prescribe whatever needs to be prescribed. Co-worker said these things are quite common, though I might need a quick course of antibiotics if the problem isn't viral.

Okay, guys, I had a co-worker look at it and he said it's just a really swollen lymph node. Probably an early warning sign of an upper respiratory infection. Weird, I've heard of swollen glands before, but I've never had them. Never had mono or chicken pox or measles or the like.

So, apparently it has nothing to do with the Retin-A--just coincidence. I'm going home for Easter weekend anyway, and my dad's a doc, so if it's still there this weekend I'll let him look at it and prescribe whatever needs to be prescribed. Co-worker said these things are quite common, though I might need a quick course of antibiotics if the problem isn't viral.

Yup thats a swollen lymph node (and a huge one). That hurts just looking at it. You may be getting sick, although it's unusual for a lymph node to grow to that size in response to a just a normal infection upper respiratory infection. You may have mono, ot another epstiein-barr virus (EVB) or the gland itself may be infected, which can happen in acne patients from draining cysts. This happens to me during a bad acne flair up or if I have a cyst near my lymph nodes, but my glands never ever get that big....

You really need to see a doc and get biopsy of that thing.........

You wouldn't happen to live in the Midwest, would you? I've heard they're experiencing an odd outbreak of the mumps in that area.

Oh, that picture isn't of my swollen lymph node. It's just some picture I found on the Internet. Mine is much smaller: like the size of the rubber balls you can get for 25 cents in those little machines. The thing in that picture is *huge.*

I don't get acne cysts, so I don't think that's the problem. I *hope* it's not mono--I don't have a fever or anything like that. The only symptoms I have, besides the gland, are sneezing, runny nose, and really itchy, watery eyes--from an allergy to pollen. On pollen.com, my area is listed as one of the 5 worst cities for pollen levels today--we're right at the maximum. Could the swollen lymph node just be a histamine response, because I'm really sensitive to pollen? It *did* just appear this morning, as the pollen count pretty much sky-rocketed.

You wouldn't happen to live in the Midwest, would you? I've heard they're experiencing an odd outbreak of the mumps in that area.

It doesn't look like mumps. It's too high on the neck to be a swollen salivary or parotid gland. Mumps make the area under the chin swell up and causes a sore throat, fever,swelling, and sometimes reddnes of the of the whole neck......that looks like a huge lymph node.......

Oh, that picture isn't of my swollen lymph node. It's just some picture I found on the Internet. Mine is much smaller: like the size of the rubber balls you can get for 25 cents in those little machines. The thing in that picture is *huge.*

I don't get acne cysts, so I don't think that's the problem. I *hope* it's not mono--I don't have a fever or anything like that. The only symptoms I have, besides the gland, are sneezing, runny nose, and really itchy, watery eyes--from an allergy to pollen. On pollen.com, my area is listed as one of the 5 worst cities for pollen levels today--we're right at the maximum. Could the swollen lymph node just be a histamine response, because I'm really sensitive to pollen? It *did* just appear this morning, as the pollen count pretty much sky-rocketed.

Yup.....totally possible. It could be related to allergies, since they trigger an inflammatory response that releases all sorts of fun stuff that your lymph nodes have to clean up. Backed up sinuses, which are also associated with allergies can also cause swelling of the lymph nodes......

Yup.....totally possible. It could be related to allergies, since they trigger an inflammatory response that y releases all sorts of fun stuff that your lymph nodes have to clean up. Backed up sinuses, which are also associated with allergies can also cause swelling of the lymph nodes......

Grrrr. Probably allergies, then. My sinuses are clogged and I think I just sneezed for the 9th time this hour!!

Oh well. I'm at work now, but after work I'm going to buy some Claritin and see if this stupid gland shrinks!

It doesn't look like mumps. It's too high on the neck to be a swollen salivary or parotid gland. Mumps make the area under the chin swell up and causes a sore throat, fever,swelling, and sometimes reddnes of the of the whole neck......that looks like a huge lymph node.......

Ahh, I see. I wasn't sure if mumps affected the lymph nodes or not!

It could actually be tied to the Retin-A in an offhand way. I agree that it's a lymph node. My lymph nodes get extremely swollen when I have a bad breakout, particularly the lymph nodes on the sides of my face near my ears (I didn't even know I had lymph nodes there until I had acne!). So it could be that the bad breakout you have has triggered your immune system into overdrive, thus causing your lymph node to swell to epic proportions.

I would maybe slip away to see a doc. You may need to go on antibiotics.

It could actually be tied to the Retin-A in an offhand way. I agree that it's a lymph node. My lymph nodes get extremely swollen when I have a bad breakout, particularly the lymph nodes on the sides of my face near my ears (I didn't even know I had lymph nodes there until I had acne!). So it could be that the bad breakout you have has triggered your immune system into overdrive, thus causing your lymph node to swell to epic proportions.

I would maybe slip away to see a doc. You may need to go on antibiotics.

My lymph nodes are like permently swollen from my acne. Ever since my killer breakout last year, they are just always swollen, when I get a bad breakout they become tender and swell even more, then when it subsides the swelling only goes down a little. I can always feel them and they are always a little bit tender. Acne just sucks ass.....

Arghhhh...so maybe it *is* from the immune response to my initial breakout. I mean, I've never had swollen lymph nodes before, but I've also never had a breakout this bad...EVER. Oh my god, my face is seriously disgusting. This had *better* be worth it!

update...

So, I had my dad look at the lymph node (he's a doctor) and he said it's swollen from an infected cut I have on my earlobe. My skin gets really dry in cold weather, and while I moisturize my face, I never bother with my ears, even though they often get chapped. Last week I was brushing my hair kind of aggressively and the bristles scraped against my ear lobe and cracked it open. And now it's kinda infected because I didn't do anything about it. Didn't realize that would lead to a swollen gland, but at least it's nothing major, and at least it's unrelated to my acne (which has calmed down in the last 2 days anyway). I'm just using some Neosporin on the cut until it heals.

Thanks, alL!