Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
swill

Dermalux light therapy treatment

Just wondered if anyone has tried using the Dermalux (among other suppliers) blue and red light therapy treatment? It's supposed to kill the p bacterium, and has apparently had very high success rates in clinical studies that have been carried out here in the UK. Check out www.dermalux.co.uk.

I've got myself one :) Only been using for five days, and no improvements yet, but shall be patient. Just wondered if anyone else has considered/got it?

Just wondered if anyone has tried using the Dermalux (among other suppliers) blue and red light therapy treatment? It's supposed to kill the p bacterium, and has apparently had very high success rates in clinical studies that have been carried out here in the UK. Check out www.dermalux.co.uk.

I've got myself one :) Only been using for five days, and no improvements yet, but shall be patient. Just wondered if anyone else has considered/got it?

Thanks for the reply mate. How long were you using it for to be 'over-using' it? Were you going over the 15min per day guidelines?

Guest Grow_To_Overthrow

Be patient mate, it takes around 2-3 months to see good improvement. I've had light therapy at home for 10 weeks now and i still break out, but it is slowing down alot. My breakouts are less often, more localised and far quicker to heal.

I think the biggest problem with light therapy is that people tend to get impatient. My opinion is that you obviously haven't found a great way of managing it so far, so why get impatient with something that may work.

ALot of people suggest that you see improvements between 2-10 weeks, my opinion (which has developed from reading and personal experience) is that it's a little more delayed than this. Probably at around 6 weeks you'll notice a good difference in inflammation. Red marks seem to fade quite quickly though, apparently the red light is instantly effective.

Obviously i'm still shy of 12 weeks use, and i have had a patch or two where i was eratic with use due to several things, but i've great confidence in the idea that these lights will continue to clear me beyond my current status.

I also suggest that you don't incorporate harsh wasdes and/or topicals with light therapy, they simply add another possibility for failure.

My regimen is fairly simple at present.

A.M

10 Mins. Blue Light

Cetaphil Wash (Bar) Applied with soft washcloth, no manual exfoliation

P.M

Sea salt in warm-hot water, apply with soft washcloth and gently manually exfoliate (GENTLY)

10 Mins. Blue Light

10 Mins. Red Light

Apply Eryacne to larger blemishes (swapped from TTO for now)

wait 5-10 Mins.

Apply Aloe Vera Gel to entire face

Thanks man, very helpful.

The problem with me, if i'm honest, is that my acne really isnt that bad. I'm one of those people that was used to having clear skin, and is generally used to having clear skin to some degree, but when it isnt, am pretty good at hiding it (concealer and the like). So when my skin has worse periods (which to many would be nothing I guess, but to me is hell), I panic a little, and try something new. At first it was Proactiv, which kinda worked...then it hit more bad patches. Then it was the CSR, which worked a treat and left me clear for ages. In the last 6 months things have been ok - manageable (I mean, most of the time you would look at me and think my skin was completely clear, but unfortunately thats only because of my trusty concealer). And then in the last few weeks its gotten worse again. So what do I do? Spend £100 on a lamp! So now, for someone with OK skin, I've got this f-off regimen including the whole CSR thing, and the lamp! And at times like today, when its all beginning to clear up again, i'm left thinking: why am I wasting two hours of my life every day on these things! But it's the fear..and I guess that's why I shall be patient and see out the lamp treatment for a few months - regardless of whether I really need it :/ But i'll let you know. Thanks again for the help dude!