Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Baravykas

Warning to all the heavy smokers on accutane

So here is the thing. I watched this BBC documentary about vitamins. I liked it a lot cause the information was very useful. And here is the thing. A group of scientists wanted to see if vitamins could cure lung cancer. So they made an experiment. Two large groups of smokers were given an increased dose of vitamin A. At the end a shocking discovery were made that vitamin A not only doesnt help with cancer, but it increases its risk. You can read about it here:

http://66.249.93.104/search?q=cache:om65wD...lt&ct=clnk&cd=1

You have to remember that Accutane is not Vitamin A. It's related (geometric isomer), and the adminstration of one gives rise to small amounts of the other (isotretinoin actually occurs naturally in the body), but the effects are obviously not identical. Isotretinoin is actually used as a chemotherapy agent because it slows fast-dividing cells like those found in tumors.

So here is the thing. I watched this BBC documentary about vitamins. I liked it a lot cause the information was very useful. And here is the thing. A group of scientists wanted to see if vitamins could cure lung cancer. So they made an experiment. Two large groups of smokers were given an increased dose of vitamin A. At the end a shocking discovery were made that vitamin A not only doesnt help with cancer, but it increases its risk. You can read about it here:

http://66.249.93.104/search?q=cache:om65wD...lt&ct=clnk&cd=1

scary, im a smoker and accutane. i am trying to quit its just not happening

I don't think anyone is on accutane long enough to put them seriously at risk of getting cancer over it.

But isn't the safety of the liver a big deal on accutane? Does smoking take a tax on that, and shouldn't it and all other drug use be avoided for the liver's sake while on accutane?

But isn't the safety of the liver a big deal on accutane? Does smoking take a tax on that, and shouldn't it and all other drug use be avoided for the liver's sake while on accutane?

I think it's sound advise, yes. You shouldn't drink either, but people do it, and often report no problems with liver function tests. It all depends on how you react, but i think it's best to play it safe.