Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rodd

its just not fair, im 27 dammit!

hey guys, this is the kind of thing i've been getting almost constantly for the last 10 yrs!! (i know i know its really minor compared to most ppl here but its a big deal for me) im 27 now and it just doesnt seem to quit, fortunately the scarring left behind is pretty minimal but they affect my life/confidence soo much. almost certain it is caused by stress but that makes it a vicious circle for me.. :(

they start real deep and invisible just a dull ache on my jaw and then few days later come to a achey red bump (like in the photo below) that hurts without even touching it, then its gonna grow a bit more and get redder and few days after that it usually develops a head (or two!) lasting a couple days and then it goes leaving a red spot after another week or so..

i havent gone to a dermatologist cos i dont just wanna be dosed up on drugs that might make it worse, but im starting to feel a bit desperate and annoyed about having them. they kinda heal themselves over time so im not really worried about treatment but i just wish i could stop them developing in the first place...

im not actually sure why im sharing this, but maybe someone has had the exact same thing and figured out how to prevent it or something.. anyway if anyone has anything to say i'll be interested to hear cos right now im :wall:

IPB Image

Hi Rodd,

welcome to the club nobody wants to be in, lol.

Being an adult with acne really has it's own unique miserable qualities, I know. But we're all here for you!

There are lots of treatments available, from prescriptions to over-the-counter products. Since you mentioned not wanting to go to a derm, I will give you a link to a program that alot of us are using successfully, myself included.

http://www.acne.org/regimen.html

Browse around the forums and let us know if you have any questions.

I know exactly how you feel. I just turned 27, and even though I'm clear right now (came off Accutane two months ago), I worry that I'll end up right back where I started in a matter of time. I've had periods of really great skin before, only to have it relapse after gaining a false sense of security. It's almost worse to have clear skin, then back to problem skin, as you've finally seen how the other half lives!

Anyway, I don't know if it will make you feel any better, but from the pic you posted, it doesn't look too bad to me. However, your acne resembles the kind I'd get before 'tane, but mine were usually on the sides of my chin. Before going on topical retinoids, I never scarred. Unfortunately, sometimes the meds make things worse before they get better, and now I have some mild to moderate scarring due to that. I don't know, though. Sometimes, I feel the scars are better than acne, but only if the acne doesn't return, know what I mean? At any rate, I'm sure (like your acne is to you) that most don't notice it, but I make a huge deal out of it.

Anyway, I hope you find something that works for you. I can relate to not wanting to be on meds for long periods of time. I'm on Tazorac cream and Yasmin BCP for maintenance, and it really stinks. The Taz makes my face super sensitive to the sun, so I still have to wear makeup w/SPF in it to prevent myself from becoming a fried piece of bacon. However, I am still clear, so I guess I can't complain too much.

Good luck, and remember we're all here for you!

lol too true about the club brandy! and we don't exactly wear our patches with pride either..

thanks for the replies guys, and yeah carys it kinda does make me feel a little better knowing that you think its not so bad cos it bugs the hell out of me but like you say most people probly dont even notice.. its just that its on our FACE!!! - of all places! is there anywhere more visible and annoying. i can honestly say id rather have them popping up anywhere else than the face.. well maybe not anywhere... :shifty: but lets just say i wouldnt be real sad if it was somewhere like my back (at least then it wouldnt affect my shaving). and its not just about the look, the deep aching pain they give (like a spiked ball-bearing surgically implanted in my face) has been enough to wake me up at night in the past if i accidentally lay with that side on the pillow. funny thing is, i was thinking mine were pretty nasty till i came on this site and had a poke around.. gave me a bit of perspective.

and good luck with staying clear carys, it must be heartbreaking to get better and then get them all back again.

Guest nec77

just wash your face everyday and night with cetaphil bar soap

i dunno nec, i do keep myself clean.. but it doesnt seem to be about hygiene for me.. stress (the emotional/mental kind not physical stress) is what causes it - ive had about 10yrs to discover the triggers and i dont think (at least for me) that even diet has anything to do with it either.. the one time in my life i have had a totally clear healthy skin was when i was backpacking around india for a few months with my best friends and i have never been so dirty for so long and eating so much fatty food in my entire life! BUT i had never felt so happy either, and i think that was the key.

*edit: stress is definitely my main/only trigger but i just realised that although having no cares in the world while i was in india, it wasnt the lack of stress that kept me clear.. i was taking an anti-malarial tablet on a daily basis, and whats in an antimalarial tablet? doxycycline! which also happens to be something people take for acne.. so i guess that explains my clear skin over that period :doh:

i dunno nec, i do keep myself clean.. but it doesnt seem to be about hygiene for me.. stress (the emotional/mental kind not physical stress) is what causes it - ive had about 10yrs to discover the triggers and i dont think (at least for me) that even diet has anything to do with it either.. the one time in my life i have had a totally clear healthy skin was when i was backpacking around india for a few months with my best friends and i have never been so dirty for so long and eating so much fatty food in my entire life! BUT i had never felt so happy either, and i think that was the key.

Did you see my thread in the holistic folder? My acne goes away when I stick to a high fat diet. Maybe your system liked the fats in India. They do like their ghee don't they?

yeah maybe i will try washing with that soap.. but these things start real deep under the skin and dont seem to be the result of any kind of blocked pore or anything relating to the skin surface (i get regular white head pimples every so often and they are a welcome relief compared to these badboys)

Did you see my thread in the holistic folder? My acne goes away when I stick to a high fat diet. Maybe your system liked the fats in India. They do like their ghee don't they?

I hear ya and feel for ya. So sorry you're experiencing this . . .

Of all the programs, products, etc. out there, I'd say that the best weapon in my battle against life long acne has been benzoyl peroxide. If you can tolerate a good amount of it on your face (do check out Dan's Regimen on this site), it can help keep you clear. If your cysts become persistent and don't resond to BP, definitely go see a dermatologist. There are many, many treatment options and you should be able to find one that works for your particular case.

Good luck!

I would agree with you on the stress issue rodd....i think it is a major trigger for me also...i dont know any of the science behind it but i do see patterns between emotional/mental issue's and acne severity

I wouldnt rule out diet though...a lot of people underestimate the effects of what they put in their bodies has on them both physically and mentally

[quote name='rodd' date='Apr 12 2006, 05:35 PM' post='1078139'

i can honestly say id rather have them popping up anywhere else than the face.. well maybe not anywhere... :shifty:

:clap:

Totally!

I have a similar problem.. but I get mine on the middle-cheek

I used to get a lot of these when I started Differin but now I have fallen back into a 1 every 2 weeks or so kind of schedule. I just have to accept it I guess.

I have some periods of clear skin but then I get more zits. And then I come back to acne.org to read about how other people are dealing with it. I hate it! I hate it! I wish it would stop! :wall::wall:

I wish you all the best, I wish me all the best. Turning 26 in 5 weeks

i wonder why we get them only around the cheek/jaw areas.. i wonder if its something to do with the lymphatic system which is in this area and a buildup of toxins near the lymph glands under the ears or something? because they are totally internal.. when they are starting they feel like a hard ball about 1mm under the skin and there's no sign on the surface - except for a bit of redness, so it must be from inside ie lymph toxins or something and it cant be related to hygiene or blocked pores at all.

and like yours, mine are probly at the rate of about one (or two) every two weeks or so as well (although it takes about a week to a week and a half for one to run its course!! so you're never really free of them!!).. if only we knew what was going on in there and could find the cause.. dont you hate it when you're all excited cos one has become a nice pain-free red mark and then you feel that familiar ache that signals another one on its way, its just relentless.. :cry:

(its definitely 'nodules' i did some reading on some other sites and that's exactly what they are to the letter, although sometimes they have turned into 'cysts' -usually if i've tried to squeeze/open/pop them or something.. ouch! - yes i've learned my lesson now..)

At least you don't scar easily, unlike me.

i know and i am grateful for small mercies!

i reckon the best (and easiest) thing for healing scars is vitamin e. found in a tube and also in nuts, seeds and vegetable oils. in fact vitamin e is so good for wounds/scars that when i got my tattoo i was warned to never use vitamin e cream on it because it would draw out the ink and heal the skin too quickly!

Depends on how bad you want it. Consider going to an electric shaver. It cuts the irritation way down. Keeps everything up on top. It worked for me.

Depends on how bad you want it. Consider going to an electric shaver. It cuts the irritation way down. Keeps everything up on top. It worked for me.

I'll ditto that. Try the dry saving - I had to do it every day, but its so quick and easy that it really isnt a problem. Just another thought, ever thought of growing stubble, or any amount of facial hair? It genuinely does cover things like this up (if its long enough), and as one of my lady friends once said to me: "A guy growing facial hair is like a girl dyeing her hair black - they will always look better for it". She was hot, I listened, she was right.

Good luck with things mate, let us know the progress.

She was hot, I listened, she was right.

lol! :lol:

i have a couple days worth of beard growth fairly often - if i can get away with it.. (i try to get around my zits by ideally only shaving on the occasions when they dont have heads on them to reduce the bloodshed, pain and scarring)

and i have tried different kinds of electric shavers in the past and they didnt agree with my sensitive skin for some reason - i get ingrown hair hell due to the way they cut the hair in all different directions and the pulling etc but thanks for the suggestion guys, i appreciate it.

i dont know if i could wear a beard its not really my thing. besides i think full beards look shit on young guys anyway so i'd only go for that look if my face turned into pepperoni.

"A guy growing facial hair is like a girl dyeing her hair black - they will always look better for it".

Yeck! I can't imagine where she got an idea like that from!!! I'm sure there are some who look awesome w/black hair, but I am certainly not one of them. It would be SCREAMINGLY fake looking on me.

Facial hair on guys, however, when done correctly does look handsome.

"A guy growing facial hair is like a girl dyeing her hair black - they will always look better for it".

Yeck! I can't imagine where she got an idea like that from!!! I'm sure there are some who look awesome w/black hair, but I am certainly not one of them. It would be SCREAMINGLY fake looking on me.

Facial hair on guys, however, when done correctly does look handsome.

Just out of interest.. ;) .. what would you define as correctly? Is the natural/rugged/ungroomed look the way to go, or just well shaped stubble?

Just out of interest.. ;) .. what would you define as correctly? Is the natural/rugged/ungroomed look the way to go, or just well shaped stubble?

Either, if they play well w/the existing features. I guess it's hit or miss, but probably one or the other would suit most anyone, I'd think. Unless they don't posess the ability to really grow any organized semblance of a beard. The patchy look isn't cute at all!