Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CLouds

Im confused with the way u ppl treat ur cysts

Everybody is always talking about new ways to treat a cyst with cortisone shots, icing, bp, etc. and saying that its going to scar if they pick it or pop it. But what I think is the longer the cyst is on ur skin the more of a chance its going to cause permanent damage to the skin.

When ever i get a cyst now i usually just wait until its ready to be popped and then i just open it up with twissers and pop it. then after all the pus is out the blood dries up and forms a scab and evetually a few days later the scab flakes off leaving a slight redmarks. Then like a week later the redmark is gone.

Before I was listening to everyone advice on not touching cysts or its gonna scar but instead the cyst would just take forever to leave, like months, and when it was finally gone it left a terrible redmark thats last for a long time, probably ten times worse than if I would have popped it.

My theory is basically when u get a cyst get rid of it as fast as u can even if u have to pop it, cuz the longer its there the more damage its goin to do to ur skin and even spread.

that might work for you as everyone's skin is different. i had 3 cysts on my right cheek that i picked and i still have scars more than 4 months later. admittedly i picked one of them too early and it came back, but i waited for the others to be "ready." anyway...i tried REALLY hard not to pick this last cyst i had on my cheek and its already faded to lighter than the other 3 cysts that i picked more than 4 months ago. my skin does not respond well when i pick..

The main things about picking/popping a pimple/cyst is that it can get infected and therefore worsen, or leave scars, or the bacteria will spread into your other pores and your skin will get worse.

Sharp things like tweezers and fingernails can scratch the skin.. (scars) needles (if they're not sterilized) can put bacteria into the pimple (which is basically like an open wound) and infect it, and if it starts to heal (and close over) with bacteria inside, it will get a lot worse and your skin will be terrible, leave scars, spread.. etc etc. even touching your face can make it break out..

It's best (for most people anyway) to leave it, or dry it out, treat it with something anti bacterial and drying like BP gel or tea tree oil.

That's my opinion anyway, but for some lucky people I guess it's the opposite!

:naughty:

I think cysts should be left alone. I have suffered with them a lot, and have tried the tweezer approach and the popping approach. But this just leaves them infected and scabby and things get a whole lot worse. I had a cyst on my cheek the other month, I put a small plaster over it so I wouldn't be tempted to mess with it. A couple of weeks later, I had a hot bath and the cyst came to a head naturally and cleared itself out. I still have a small red mark where it was, but not half as bad as the ones where I messed with a cyst. Leave them be, they will heal themselves, you just have to be patient.

I totally agree with the folks who are advocating for NOT picking cysts. Believe me, I know how hard it is to leave them be...I've got a biggun forming on my chin as I write this. But, in my opinion ( and I"m 42, have had LOTS of cysts to contend with over the years :cry: ) cysts DO get worse when you pick at them.

When I get a cyst, or feel one coming, I dose myself with minocycline ( I use mino only for flare ups,my doc recommended this since I get only occasional cysts at this point) , use a complexion brush and lightly scrub over it at night, and use 2% BHA gel on it at night only . Daytime, I just gently wash, and use a light moisturizer on my face. Usually, within a week, it has come to some kind of head- I then use a sterilized lancet to puncture the head lightly and then use the tweezerman extraction tool to gently extract the pus....This almost always works. I've only had one cyst in the last couple of years that I had to get drained and injected at the doctors office...

Please don't pick at cysts, trust me on this...maybe there are a few fortunate folks out there who can extract with no consequences, but I would emphasize the word few

I've also used ibuprofen for the pain and swelling and it really does seem to help. Ice has never really worked for me, unfortunately..

I used to do cortisone injections all the time, but I started getting those awful sunken in spots, and they wouldnt go away for a month or more, so I don't do that anymore unless I'm absolutely desperate!!

Prevention, to me, has been key. I've adopted the Jessfoliation technique and it has kept me about 95% clear!!! yay!!

I completely agree with you imok; for me, leaving a cyst is the worst thing i could do. If left alone, my cysts would never heal; they would simply remain permanently on my face. I wouldn't try the tweezers, but the needle is definately a godsend.