Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mandathepanda

I have some questions about AHA?

Hi there. I just started the regimen and besides acne I have some red marks I'd like to get rid of too. I've been reading on the posts about AHA? Can someone tell me more about that? All I know is that it is in some moisturizers and that it removes red marks. I am very interested in this. Could someone who uses this tell me how they like the effects of AHA and what products I could just purchase in a drugstore that contain AHA and would be fine to use in Dan's Regimen? Thanks alot! :razz:

Hi manda,

Oh well, I'm not an expert on AHA's but I've read a bit about them and I'm currently using an AHA based lotion, so I thought I could share my experience with you.

The Neutrogena Healthy Skin lotion I'm using contains 8% of glycolic acid. I've read that such concentrations (among 8 and 15%) are not dangerous and work well as moisturizers. Since the acid acts as a gentle exfoliator, it helps to remove the dead skin and flakes. It gradually balances the skin tone and of course fades redmarks faster than a regular moisturizer.

I've been seeing what I just described on my own skin, during 3 weeks of use. I started with 2 pumps, then I made it 5 pumps because I was as dry as a desert snake. Of course, I did get a little bit red, but I also got my dryness and flakiness under control in a matter of 2 or 3 days. Now I cut it to 4 pumps beacuse of the spring time making me sweat. I'm not as dry as I used to when I needed a lot of moisturizer.

I'm quite satisfied with this product. However, other people have reported breakouts and other issues when using it. The tough part, I think, is putting up with the initial stinging and redness that may occur. I've also read about mixing it with a regular moisturizer, with great results.

Good luck.

i started using aha on my 2nd week of regimen. i am using the same product as the person above me. neutrogena's healthy skin, the one without spf. i put 1.5 pumps onto my palm and use my fingers to evenly and gently cover my face with it. after i wait a minute for it to dry, i use 1 pump of neutrogena's combination skin lotion. i use both of htem because i find that the aha doesn't moisturize that well as well, but it does do a good job with speeding up the clearing of flakes and apparently fading red marks. it also recommends on the bottle itself to use with antoher moisturizer. hope that helps.

eucerin do the best range in my personal opinion.

i used a neutrogena one for a week an i didnt like it at all, it caused my skin2 sorta breakout in the areas i was spot treating so i figured it was crap an dropped it hehe!

eucerin is the brand i personally wud use.

altho in america i think its stopped production now.....

if so then im sure some americans wil help ya out!

eucerin seems to be the choice for most ppl but because i ccan't find it at london drugs, i jsut went for the neutrogena and it's worked for me. i know others who have found it works as an okay substitute as well

walgreens AHA 8% GA works wonders

I have been using Walgreens %8 as well for over a month, how long have you been using it ?

To me there is has been nothing miraculous or even noticable about using AHA products. I also have been using KISS MY FACE Alpha &Aloe at night which is a %5 AHA product.

I think something needs to be addressed here on these boards about AHA, like what concentration it

needs to be to be effective, ya know ?? I've heard the PEELs are effective but don't know how to safely incorporate those into the regimen.

From what we can see here the most frustrating thing about this regimen is the RED MARKS problem, that they don't fade, and accumulate.

if u go in2 boots an ask for eucerin moisturisers they wil either order u one or have it already

u want the eucerin dry skin relief face cream 5%UREA