Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gregthegreat

about 3 months now

I started Jan.14. Today is April 12. Two days away from 3 months.

Still the same results- better than before I was on the regimen, but still breaking out... every day. :|

My acne type is moderate, but I guess you can call it persistent.

Should I give it, say, 1 or 2 more weeks and that's it? If it doesn't get better than this...... it's just not good enough. My parents refuse to give me medication (Accutane) because of the risk of depression. I'm already extremely depressed, so what is there to lose? And I read the risk for depression is only like 1% (is this true?)

And yes, I know all the rules and I'm following them like crazy. I don't even touch my face during the day (before I'd touch it all the time) because of the irritation it would cause, plus it'd make my skin flake off anyways, I don't even put my face to the pillow at night, etc. etc. etc.

i wud stick with it.

ive seen people "quit" the regimen an its not pretty...

bp HELPS ur skin bro, not hinders..

so if ur breakin out now then think wat it wil b like if u quit alltogether

it gets better man jus relax

Greg I totally understand what you are going through. Having blemishes is something which just sucks and makes you even not want to go out. However, seriously going on such a strong medication like Accutane just seems too exaggerating for moderate acne. I have gone to the dermatologist and they prescribed many things to me which never even worked. I dont know if you have tried this but I tried Murad when I had really bad acne and it cleared me up really well. Once it cleared me up, I stopped using it because it was irritating my skin. Now I just use the face wash that comes with the package. I dont get as many breakouts as I used to. Also, right now I am using pure aloe vera juice and have found that it works. It you have breakouts that irritate, I highly suggest you use PURE aloe vera. HOWEVER, you should buy only the PURE aloe vera which you can find at the vitamin shoppe. I usually apply the juice in a cotton pad and place it on my face for about 5-10 minutes. Then you just let it do its thing. Again, this methos is working for me and we each have different skin types. You should however consider the following:

-Only wash your face with something containing Salicylic Acid

-Wash you face with warm water to clean and open your pores. Once you have washed it, close your pores by washing it with cold water. One of the main reasons why you wash with warm water is because it dissolves oil more than cold water. DO NOT wash with extremely HOT water

-Wash your face only TWICE per day

-Try to eat foods that have beta carotene, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, omega threes, Vitamin E

These help make your skin A LOT stronger. Vitamin A regulates oil production.

If you eat an apple or banana , you will consume the needed vitamins your SKIN needs.

I really hope that this helps!

Please let us know what products you're using and please read http://www.acne.org/biggestmistakes.html and think about that stuff for a while and post what you think of each thing here.

What sucks most about this is that....... I planned to start a thread entitled "Thank you so much, Dan, it's finally working!"...... but of course, life is full of disappointments.... :(

Products:

Clearasil Daily Face Wash

CSR Gel (really love this stuff)

Cetaphil Moisturizer

Ok, I was talking with Brandy a little while ago about the face wash..... basically, she suggested Purpose bar, but I couldn't exactly convince my mom to buy it. I mean, what I'm using now shouldn't be harmful (no salyclic or however you spell it acid) and it shouldn't be the only problem......... should I experiment by not using a cleanser for a few days? I don't think I can get the Purpose bar.

So are there people who do this exactly how it's supposed to be done and it doesn't start to work for them until, maybe 3 1/2 or 4 months in? Maybe I'm like 1 out of 20 who take this long?

depaulguy,

I'll keep that in mind. and I do try to use that one warm/cold water technique sometimes.......

oh, and I should mention......

just today I started listening to music while doing the regimen this morning. that's the only way I can get through the morning now.

just thinking about waking up to see the new acne i get (almost every morning, something new though way better than before the regimen) and then spend so long doing the regimen just makes me want to throw up. Thank God for music and the fact I have an power outlet in the bathroom for my CD player, lol.

is this what you are using?

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp...BUY-PLST-0-SRCH

it says it is 'antibacterial', which means it is medicated.

You don't necessarily have to get Purpose bar, just something gentle and unmedicated.

Ooh, thanks, Brandy! I didn't know how to tell the difference between unmedicated and medicated....... possibly this is why I spend so long peeling off flakes (drying my skin out extra?)

Ok, my mom also has the Cetaphil cleanser (liquid stuff). The reason I'm not using this is because it's a bit of a risk.... I've heard it makes some people break out and with others it's just fine.

I know, I have a plan! :)

I shouldn't use the cleanser for a few days (just water), and then either use the Cetaphil or somehow convince my mom to buy some type of cleanser, Purpose if possible.

Well, if you have oily skin Cetaphil is a risk because it doesn't seem to really clean off the oil and stuff. It seems the people who do well with it have typically dryish skin. So, if you can get a hold of Purpose bar or liquid, or Basis bar that would probably be good.

Offer to do some extra chores around the house to pay for it! lol.

Well, if you have oily skin Cetaphil is a risk because it doesn't seem to really clean off the oil and stuff. It seems the people who do well with it have typically dryish skin. So, if you can get a hold of Purpose bar or liquid, or Basis bar that would probably be good.

Offer to do some extra chores around the house to pay for it! lol.

well, good news- my skin isn't oily! :) (somewhat dryish I guess)

but this is good..... I'll start using the Cetaphil tonight and then maybe getting one of those bars :)

Good news! Just yesterday, my mom bought the Purpose bar! :D so I used it last night and this morning. The thing is huge, it'd probably last for about 57,000 years before it runs out.

Also, something stupid..... I originally thought the razor I was using was the right one... but no, it isn't! In fact, the one I have Dan called "hyper-irritating" compared to the recommended one. Well, looks like I'm gonna have to get that razor, too, then. That should help, too.

But really, now that I think about it, the fact that it's been 3 months is good..... I just have to figure out what is irritating my skin and just stick to the regimen exactly and i guess no more than a couple weeks and it should be working.

Ok, I'll update in a little while.....

Sounds good Greg! And yes that Purpose bar does last a long time, and it is super cheap too! I hope it works out better for you.

And yea, get the Gilette Sensor Excel razor, Dan swears by it!!

I look forward to your update in a few days!

well, today I have to say, my face is looking better than it has in years...probably slightly better than the other couple of times when I thought the same thing while on the regimen.

to give you an idea....

the only dark red spot is a small one on my forehead. there are a couple of medium red spots on my cheeks, but normally it is way worse. the rest are very light red marks.

there are a couple of red spots that are weird because they've been there for days without turning into a whitehead (one has been there a week now!) so I hope it just goes away soon. i've read about these on another thread before.

there's an extremely small pimple that is new near my chin that you almost can't see, but I think it might be from shaving- i need to get the recommended razor.

I'll update again in a few days and hopefully it'll keep this up (after all, it should since it's been 3 months)

its great that your continue to go on! I applaude to your persistence and optimistic mind

im on week 2 and i broke out (5 new pimples) and i thought my world was gonan end but now its getting better! best of wishes!

Still the same results- better than before I was on the regimen, but still breaking out... every day. :|

Should I give it, say, 1 or 2 more weeks and that's it? If it doesn't get better than this...... it's just not good enough. My parents refuse to give me medication (Accutane) because of the risk of depression. I'm already extremely depressed, so what is there to lose? And I read the risk for depression is only like 1% (is this true?)

And yes, I know all the rules and I'm following them like crazy. I don't even touch my face during the day (before I'd touch it all the time) because of the irritation it would cause, plus it'd make my skin flake off anyways, I don't even put my face to the pillow at night, etc. etc. etc.

If you have had success with what your doing then stick to it. But you have to realize that everyone is different. I have tried products that worked for other people but they didn't work for me.

Your parents are probably worried about the side effects of Accutane. I don't blame them for looking out for your well being. Give this time and see how it turns out for you.

Remember it isn't the end of the world if one product doesn't work for you. I have been dealing with acne for almost twenty years. I have found things that will only work for a short time and i have found things that work for a long time. The best thing you can do is this. Tell yourself, "I won't give up!!!" Take good care of yourself. Make sure you are drinking alot of water and read food labels. If the things you are eating have alot of oil in them, that could be a part of your flair ups. But do me a HUGE favor. Don't let your acne get you down! Keep smiling and know you are awesome. :)

If you have had success with what your doing then stick to it. But you have to realize that everyone is different. I have tried products that worked for other people but they didn't work for me.

Your parents are probably worried about the side effects of Accutane. I don't blame them for looking out for your well being. Give this time and see how it turns out for you.

Remember it isn't the end of the world if one product doesn't work for you. I have been dealing with acne for almost twenty years. I have found things that will only work for a short time and i have found things that work for a long time. The best thing you can do is this. Tell yourself, "I won't give up!!!" Take good care of yourself. Make sure you are drinking alot of water and read food labels. If the things you are eating have alot of oil in them, that could be a part of your flair ups. But do me a HUGE favor. Don't let your acne get you down! Keep smiling and know you are awesome. :)

hey, that really nice... thanks!!! :D

ok.... I have a question that I've probably asked before......

does it normally take so long to peel off dry skin- like 15-20 minutes each time? There is so much and it's so hard to get off that it's extremely frustrating. I thought switching to the Purpose Bar would reduce the amount, but it hasn't. And I feel like I'm irritating my skin when I'm trying to get all the dead skin off, cuz it's not like you can just wipe it all off in a second.

hey greg,

like me you seem to have fairly sensitive skin, I had the same problem... my cleanser was too harsh and it was irritating my skin making me breakout more than before I was on the regimen, I thought the regimen was not good for me but I decided to switch to a gentler wash instead of quitting the regimen all together and I am now 100% clear (I saw a big difference in my skin in 24 hours after switching cleanser).

Now back to your question. I kept getting flakes, especially around my mouth and nose. I've tried mechanical scrubs, all kind, it was making me breakout because it was too irritating for me. The best thing, for me, is a bit of plain Philips milk of magnesia alone or mixed with a pinch of powdered green clay. I apply it very gently after washing my face and i let it sit until it is dry. Then I put water on my face to get it moist (don't rub it off dry) and wash it off (the best thing is to get in the shower and let water run down on your face). After I take a bit of cleanser and rewash my face gently. For some reason, my face is so soft and calmed down after, I just do the rest of the routine as explained in the regimen and it's the only thing that keeps me flakes free and irritation free!

I hope it helps.

Sorry, i forgot to add that I was doing the mask thing no more than 2-3 times a week depending on how my skin is.

hey greg,

like me you seem to have fairly sensitive skin, I had the same problem... my cleanser was too harsh and it was irritating my skin making me breakout more than before I was on the regimen, I thought the regimen was not good for me but I decided to switch to a gentler wash instead of quitting the regimen all together and I am now 100% clear (I saw a big difference in my skin in 24 hours after switching cleanser).

Now back to your question. I kept getting flakes, especially around my mouth and nose. I've tried mechanical scrubs, all kind, it was making me breakout because it was too irritating for me. The best thing, for me, is a bit of plain Philips milk of magnesia alone or mixed with a pinch of powdered green clay. I apply it very gently after washing my face and i let it sit until it is dry. Then I put water on my face to get it moist (don't rub it off dry) and wash it off (the best thing is to get in the shower and let water run down on your face). After I take a bit of cleanser and rewash my face gently. For some reason, my face is so soft and calmed down after, I just do the rest of the routine as explained in the regimen and it's the only thing that keeps me flakes free and irritation free!

I hope it helps.

Sorry, i forgot to add that I was doing the mask thing no more than 2-3 times a week depending on how my skin is.

thanks, for the suggestion, tornado chaser! :D

I'll think about that...... don't know if I'll be able to get that stuff easily, though....

what's funny is that when I first started doing the regimen, I was using 10% bp for 2 weeks and using the full amount, which is a no-no :D

and guess what? I didn't have any more dry skin than I do now :confused: this is strange.....

ok, here's an update.....

Saturday/Sunday I felt like I was on top of the world. My face was almost totally clear... just like 2 things on my left cheek that I'd have to worry about.

but of course, reality check.....

there was even more to arrive, and the ones I noticed made nasty red marks- one of the areas looks and feels like someone just cut off a small little part of my skin. And it burns. And I'm hoping it doesn't leave a scar.

And just today, now that I can tell I'm starting to recover from the breakout on my left cheek, I see stuff coming back up again on my right cheek... there's one area where it's just one huge bump.....

it sorta comes in patterns, ever since I've been on the regimen. like this:

1. Breakout left cheek

2. Breakout right cheek

3. Breakout just a little bit in random places

4. Clears and I'm so close to being completely clear that I get so happy for a day that I feel like doing cartwheels

and then the cycle continues again, and I'm back to being depressed and furious every single day.

I can't stand this. My acne truly is bad enough to deserve Accutane... sure, the Regimen has made it seem much better, but I'd never take my shirt off in front of anyone unless they paid me a huge amount of money (I'm not uncomfortable about that stuff, either).

Plus, I'm literally in the bathroom 1-1.5 hours a day! It takes so long to get rid of that dry skin... I could try that thing TornadoChaser suggested, but can anyone think of anything else? I need more suggestions, like maybe an easy way of getting dry skin off?

I feel like I'm just gonna lose it. Almost every time I close my eyes, I picture myself in the bathroom doing the Regimen. I've come so close to just punching in a wall before (once I threw down my Cetaphil bottle and nearly destroyed it, lol)... I almost never get like this, that's how frustrating it is. And I want to talk to this one girl during lunchtime at school and I can't help but think about how my skin looks, mainly because, well, I spend over an hour a day taking care of it!

Accutane would save money in the long run, too.... I should go see a dermatologist, they should prescribe it once I take my shirt off :D

and just taking a pill would be so much less stressful than spending over an hour a day in the bathroom

ok.... I have a question that I've probably asked before......

does it normally take so long to peel off dry skin- like 15-20 minutes each time? There is so much and it's so hard to get off that it's extremely frustrating. I thought switching to the Purpose Bar would reduce the amount, but it hasn't. And I feel like I'm irritating my skin when I'm trying to get all the dead skin off, cuz it's not like you can just wipe it all off in a second.

hey dont try scrubbin it off, the bp drys it so it probly wont go away, yo ujsut have to use enough moisterizer to make it look not dry and flaky.i have normal skin, not to oily not to dry and that purpose bar made every inch of my face dry.i'm usin basis bar of soap and it doesn't do that.works hella good too clean.you can try that bar of soap.

The regimen is for moderate to mild acne. When I had severe stuff, espeically on my body, accutane was a godsend. You can read my story here: http://www.acne.org/accutane.html

Hi, Dan! :D

Yep, I've read it before! Cool stuff, glad that it helped you.

I've just been reading the possible side effects and..... uggghhh...... maybe if it I took it and it worked immediately like it did with you, that would be good, but.....

I read that it usually takes up to a month to get better and sometimes gets worse during treatment.

hey dont try scrubbin it off, the bp drys it so it probly wont go away, yo ujsut have to use enough moisterizer to make it look not dry and flaky.i have normal skin, not to oily not to dry and that purpose bar made every inch of my face dry.i'm usin basis bar of soap and it doesn't do that.works hella good too clean.you can try that bar of soap.

maybe that soap would work....

but I can't get it now, cause I have the Purpose bar and can't get another bar.

you can just see the dead skin after my face is washed, but after i moisturize, there is not much of a problem of actually be able to see the dry/dead skin

My parents refuse to give me medication (Accutane) because of the risk of depression. I'm already extremely depressed, so what is there to lose? And I read the risk for depression is only like 1% (is this true?)

The chances of depression are slim, its one of these cases that a small number of people have been depressed on it and this has dominated the publicity about the drug. The fact that it clears up acne has fallen by the wayside. My derm who put me on it said that the number of people it gives depression is far out weighed by the number of people that it stops depression for by clearing up their acne. He said he has only had one case in which depression was a side affect, and she had mental health problems to start with she hadn't disclosed to him. Accutane only really causes depression when there is a family history of it already.

But, it does have other side affects that are far more common but these, in my view, are acceptable compromises for getting rid of acne. Dan says he had and still suffers from achey joints and i had sweat rashes and much more sensitive skin to allergies. These were controlled by moisteriser and anti histimines respectively, and dissappeared about three months after i stopped.

The main problem, in my view, was the fact that when i finished the drug it did not have lasting effects, i did two rounds and only got a total of nine months (ish) of clear skin. I know that many others on this site have complained of the same problem ( eg dan and celebration) but i personally know people that it has permantly worked for. I read on a site once that only 50% of the people that take it see lasting effects, some peoples acne return after a few months (me) or after a few years.

If you try it and it doesnt work, that stinks but you'll have to accept it, but there is an equal chance that it will.