Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So I've been thinking about going to get a chemical peel/facial/microdermabrasion or what not that's best for acne..

Few questions though:

1. Do they even work??

2. Are they worth it?

3. Which is best - microdermabrasion, chemical peels, or regular facials that spas design?

The one I'm specifically considering is this one: Dermedica Spa

Any thoughts would be great! Thanks a bunch (:

I recently had my first facial and had a pretty good experience with it. I mostly just have blocked pores (minimal to no inflammation), so it was great for clearing those out. I believe the esthetician used a glycolic peel, and also a clay mask. I did have a mild purging breakout for the next week or so, but it wasn't too bad. According to my esthetician, the breakouts lessen as you get more facials done. Since the facial, I am getting fewer blocked pores and breakouts - my skin is actually almost totally clear at the moment.

I am set up for a monthly series of facials to see if they provide long term improvement and less purging breakouts. I think that these would probably need to be done on a regular basis for them to be effective? One facial probably won't do that much for you in the long run.

Good luck with it if you try it!

I recently had my first facial and had a pretty good experience with it. I mostly just have blocked pores (minimal to no inflammation), so it was great for clearing those out. I believe the esthetician used a glycolic peel, and also a clay mask. I did have a mild purging breakout for the next week or so, but it wasn't too bad. According to my esthetician, the breakouts lessen as you get more facials done. Since the facial, I am getting fewer blocked pores and breakouts - my skin is actually almost totally clear at the moment.

I am set up for a monthly series of facials to see if they provide long term improvement and less purging breakouts. I think that these would probably need to be done on a regular basis for them to be effective? One facial probably won't do that much for you in the long run.

Hi Willow!

Just wondering - approximately how much per session did it cost?

dont be fooled with the cheap acne facial peels (usually dont work) obagi peel is very good according to my friend but it is EXTREME expensive.... so i reckon stick to the regimen instead

Hi Willow!

Just wondering - approximately how much per session did it cost?

I paid about $70 (I got a package deal discount - 3 for $210). When I priced places, most were around $70-80. But those are San Francisco prices, and everything is more expensive here! I would really check into places before you go - see if you can find online reviews, client recommendations, etc. I get the impression that the quality of these services vary greatly.

dont be fooled with the cheap acne facial peels (usually dont work) obagi peel is very good according to my friend but it is EXTREME expensive.... so i reckon stick to the regimen instead

Hmm, actually I was more interested in facials for scarring....but Obagi I've heard mixed reviews over, and it costs about 300 dollars which I suppose isn't too bad considering one facial is 80 dollars...

Doesn't Obagi have to be administered by a dermatologist?