Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I've heard so many suggestions to just wash your face with soap, and let it heal itself, that all of these products do nothing but strip your skin. I'm terrified to just stop using all products, and go right to just soap. I'm afraid that would cause a big breakout. Has anyone tried just using soap? And maybe some vitamins, anything?

I've heard so many suggestions to just wash your face with soap, and let it heal itself, that all of these products do nothing but strip your skin. I'm terrified to just stop using all products, and go right to just soap. I'm afraid that would cause a big breakout. Has anyone tried just using soap? And maybe some vitamins, anything?

Never tried it, but it seems like it would be to drying and irratate your skin.

Maybe by soap she means cleanser. That is all I used to do with my face before I started breaking out. Then I couldn't get rid of it and had to start the regimen.

You could use gentle cleansers without harsh detergents (Sodium Lauryl/Laureth Sulfate, etc.) and continue using other gentle products that would be beneficial to your skin.

Honestly, I think that as you get older, especially if you have acne-prone skin, you need to do more for your skin than just cleansing with soap.

BTW, by 'soap', if you do mean an actual soap bar, I don't think that would be a good idea. Soaps contain detergents (you could tell by the bubbles it produces) and that will certainly strip your skin of it's natural oils.

How is your current regimen?

I use Ivory bar soap on my face and have for years and I can tell you that it does a good job at keeping my skin clean and it rinses with no residue left behind. For me all other cleansers or soap just did nothing to help or dried it out or made things worse, but all are different and what works for one doesn't work for another. And as I get older the less I do to my skin the better it is. I get a few white heads on my face but I break out on my neck, allergies to certain foods and stress cause it for me and recently I bought some NAHO {native american healing ointment} and has done wonders for that and also on my face. Its still to early to tell if this is something I can use forever but it contains no chemicals and is all pure. Just google naho to get more info and no I am not advocating it or am I a sales person just seems to help me thats all.

:D I am not using soap (cleanser) alone, but I do have a cleanser to recommend: Cetaphil cleanser for Normal to Oily skin.

I started checking out this messageboard a week or so ago because I had been stuck in a rut with breakouts that wouldn't subside, despite my current use of (1) doxycycline antibiotics, (2) Differin cream at night, (3) Noritate cream (for rosacea) on my chin area in the mornings, AND (4) the regular Cetaphil cleanser. After reading some posts here about how the regular Cetaphil cleanser does not help, and may actually hinder, recovery, I went out and bought the Cetaphil cleanser specifically made for Normal to Oily skin.

It has been just a few days (like three or four) since I've been washing with the new Cetaphil, and my entire face is clearing up! Specifically, the bumps all over my forehead are diminishing and seeming to "dry out" into oblivion. I don't put anything else on my face besides the cleanser and doctor-prescribed stuff (i.e., no moisturizer or sunscreen--I just stay indoors these days). Sure, this could be a fluke, or coincidence (maybe the regimen of drugs is finally kicking in), but I wanted to share. :D

I guess soap may do for some people, but don't for others. Look, my older brother once got really severe acne when he was in his teen ( he's now 24 ) and now he's got no acne anymore. He never used anything, but soap... I don't know why those zits abruptly disappeared, but he's clear now :)