Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MinxyMech

Sore joints and muscles from accutane

Hi there,

I suffer with lower back pain, been on accutane for almost 6 weeks now. I run about 30kms a week and have had to cut down on the amount of running I normally do because of mainly sore hip joints. I also have sore muscles in my legs, but it's not that bad. The sore hip joints however are seriously painful. I was wondering what the accutane actually does to give one this side effect.. maybe I could treat it. Anyone?

I take omega 3 twice a day and it doesnt' seem to be of much help. :doubt:

Hi there,

I suffer with lower back pain, been on accutane for almost 6 weeks now. I run about 30kms a week and have had to cut down on the amount of running I normally do because of mainly sore hip joints. I also have sore muscles in my legs, but it's not that bad. The sore hip joints however are seriously painful. I was wondering what the accutane actually does to give one this side effect.. maybe I could treat it. Anyone?

I take omega 3 twice a day and it doesnt' seem to be of much help. :doubt:

No one is quite sure. At the very least, it probably has to do with an overall drying effect on the body. Some research is being done that shows Accutane may also decrease hyaluronic acid and bone mineral density and may cause calification of tendons.

While Accutane side effects are considered short term, I know of many people, including myself, who believe the drug affected their joints for the long run. Get a thorough exam from a doc to see if there are other issues, though. And you may want to consider cutting back your running for the duration. It was recommended to me to stop all high impact aerobic activities while on the drug. Best of luck with your treatment.

The theory is that it dries out the connective tissues and cushioning fluids in the joints. It seems that taking fish oil supplements really helps - they have an anti-inflammatory effect and somehow aid in the lubrication of joints.

Some research is being done that shows Accutane may also decrease hyaluronic acid

Thanks for your replies.

I'm really a fitness freak, am absolutely addicted and can't see how I'm going to cut my running out completely. But, if I have to I should.

Do you have a link to this research? My google searches find pages with the opposite finding.

Hi beentheredonethat:

Insert this into a Google search: Thalidomide II: The Horrors and Life-long Side Effects from the Acne Drug, Accutane, and a Potential Cure. The link to this PDF document should come up as the first result. Upload it and go to page four, right hand column, under the sub-heading "The HA Connection."

Yeh, that's the propaganda piece that is full of misinformation. I mean a link to actual research.

The only research i've been able to locate indicates the exact opposite effect in pig skin - pigs are often used in medical reasearch because of their medical simularity to humans.

Epidermal hyaluronic acid synthesis in pig skin is increased by all-trans-retinoic acid, all-trans-retinyl acetate, 13-cis-retinoic acid (that's isotretinoin = Accutane) and etretinate.

MinxyMech I noticed you take multivitamins. Make sure there is no Vitamin A in them.

DawgDaze64

I checked the article and here we go.

Page 2 - “This child was a happy, well-balanced,

forward-thinking child who had a great

deal to live for. This was psychotic and

the only conclusion we have been able

to draw is the Accutane poisoned him.�

--Julie Bishop, mother of Charles Bishop who

flew a plane into a building and committed

suicide.

Fifteen-year old Charles Bishop flew a suicidal

mission into an office building in Tampa, Florida.

Bishop had been taking Accutane.

He had never taken it! That's proven.

While I think a lot of medical info, pro and con, is propaganda of some sort :) this piece does look suspect, now that I look at it further. I can't find it's references, for instance. Oddly, it was included in a packet of info given to me by my family doc, when I was discussing with her the pros and cons of my going on another round of Accutane.

That Tampa plane crash pisses me off... I hate when it's brought up and it makes me feel like most of the hype associated with accutane is all scare tactics because this freaking nightmare of a 15-year-old wanker had never taken Accutane..he only had a prescription for it. He was a psycho on his own free will, and accutane had NOTHING to do with it.. But yet it was overly hyped that he had Accutane. Then after it was proven that he had never taken the drug, it was barely mentioned..leaving the impression in your mind that Accutane in fact makes you fly planes into bank buildings. Another doozy of a side effect. Maybe it was subliminal...You now don't even have to take the pill, just get the prescription written for it and you will turn into a crazy person!!!

And that article is another piece of garbage posing as scientific research floating around the internet.

*puts on my Donald Trump wig*

Al Gore is fired for creating the internet!!!! And whoever wrote that article is FIRED, and Julie Bishop, mother of 15 year old nightmare Charles Bishop is FIRED!!!!!!!!

Christ Almighty I need a Tylenol. lol

You now don't even have to take the pill, just get the prescription written for it and you will turn into a crazy person!!!

Osmosis! :crazy2:

*puts on my Donald Trump wig*

Al Gore is fired for creating the internet!!!! And whoever wrote that article is FIRED, and Julie Bishop, mother of 15 year old nightmare Charles Bishop is FIRED!!!!!!!!

rofl

LOL Whoa I just re-read my post and apparently I was having a bad day? Whewwww and I haven't even started ACcutane yet... However, the mood swings are starting. I guess osmosis is true.

The theory is that it dries out the connective tissues and cushioning fluids in the joints. It seems that taking fish oil supplements really helps - they have an anti-inflammatory effect and somehow aid in the lubrication of joints.

Some research is being done that shows Accutane may also decrease hyaluronic acid

Do you have a link to this research? My google searches find pages with the opposite finding.

I thought you couldn't take fish oil because of the high amount of vitamin a in the oil and the accutane?

To use a simplified analogy, think of a car running without oil, or running low on oil. (oil as in oil change, not the gas for fuel). The car's gears, mechanical parts, etc. would be GRINDING against each other without the necessary lubrication. It's basically the same with Accutane. Obviously, it's done a lot of good, but the side effects are pretty bad.

By the way, I don't mean to offend anyone by my accutane statements. It sounded like a miracle when I first heard about it but I'm 21 and I have arthritis so it's never going to be an option for me.