Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hawkeye

Tattoo's and acne

I have wanted a tatoo since i was a kid but have put it off until now....i want a design that will go from one shoulder to another across my upper back but this is where i am most prone to acne breakouts...i have set a date for September to start having it done so hope to be clear by then but if im not i think i will still go ahead with it

Would getting a tatoo on this part of my body just fuel the acne fire and make things worse?

I'm not really a "Knower" when it comes to Accutane but from what i've read i understood that your skin can scar very easily while being on it and skin gets really sensitive. If im not mistaken someone else asked this same question a week ago and... oh well, i think the ppl here who really know stuff will tell that it's not good to do it and you should wait a few months after accutane.

Do it!!!!! Well Maybe.......Just make sure you don't have active acne, or aren't using any treatment at the time (that means no BP, no retinoids, definatley no Accutane six months proir) or for a while after. That puts you in a bad position from a healing perspective. Proper healing is crucial when it comes to tattoos. If you can manage to be clear (and get that heavy bar off you back) and stay clear for a while it sholdn't be a problem.

It also depends on how severe the acne is. Is it only handful or is it hundreds? If you just prone to breakouts there and get like 5-10 at a time, it should be easier to clear up.

What's nice about it is that it will make the acne you get there not as noticable. But if you acne is scarring there, then don't get it done becuase the scarring will mess up the tattoo.......It may aggervate the existing acne though....no way to know......

One more thing.....don't ever put BP on a tattoo....it'll bleach the ink........

Oh it does hurt a bit.....just a warning.....

Oh it does hurt a bit.....just a warning.....

It feels like someone sticks a piece of glass in your back and drags it down the skin ripping it to pieces!!! The colouring in bit is not so bad. But the outline..........I cringe just thinking about it! But I guess its worth it! And I did feel brave after I had it done! :proud:

Im not on Accutane and have stopped using ALL treatments so from that perspective i shouldnt have a problem however my acne in that region consists of about 2 or 3 constant active ones on each side, about 10 noticable red marks each side from recent breakouts and about 100 small scars each side from over the years...will these scars really mess up the tattoo? If thats the case im screwed.

The whole idea of pain doesnt really bother me to be honest...dont get me wrong im not looking forward to it or anything but if its the price you have to pay then so be it

Im not on Accutane and have stopped using ALL treatments so from that perspective i shouldnt have a problem however my acne in that region consists of about 2 or 3 constant active ones on each side, about 10 noticable red marks each side from recent breakouts and about 100 small scars each side from over the years...will these scars really mess up the tattoo? If thats the case im screwed.

The whole idea of pain doesnt really bother me to be honest...dont get me wrong im not looking forward to it or anything but if its the price you have to pay then so be it

Get that bar off you back boy.....hehe....

I have about the same amount of bacne....just a few annoying spots...that sometimes hurt.....

In that case you should be fine. Just make sure you don't have any active lesions when you go. If the scars are old and mostly shallow rolling scars or hyper pigmentation marks they should be okay (redmarks don't count as scars). My boyfriend was mauled by a dog as a kid and has some scarring on his belly. He got a tattoo right over the scarring, and ten years later it still looks good.......it's not as black as it once was, but black always fades a little.......

The pain is tolerable, and eventually it just gets numb. The outline is the most painful because the needle goes deeper. I have one on my back that was ddone completely with an outline needle becaise it's very detailed.....that was pretty painful.....but not so bad that I needed the artist to stop......

One more thing.....don't ever put BP on a tattoo....it'll bleach the ink........

I know that BP bleaches skin, hair and clothing but I've never heard that it can bleach tattoos. Where did you get the info on this? Can you give me the link?

Thanks, I'm trying to fade a tattoo!

and make sure u dont use anything with vit e in it.. my tattoist told me that vitamin e heals by removing things out from the skin and will tend to draw the ink to the surface.. DONT PUT VIT E CREAM ON A TATT

the usual cream to use for tatts is 'Bepanthen', seemed to work fine for me (cd size tattoo on left shoulderblade) who knows maybe the 'trauma' to the skin from the tattoo process will increase circulation to the area and help with the acne.. ?

but get a tattoo for sure! you only live once! and get ready for the pain when the needle goes over the bony areas oowww!! :shock: i still remember that!! but a tattoo is meant to have pain its part of the process.. you have to earn it :D have fun

I know that BP bleaches skin, hair and clothing but I've never heard that it can bleach tattoos. Where did you get the info on this? Can you give me the link?

BP is an oxidative bleach. If you get it on clothes it will bleach them. Tattoo ink is not immune or resistant to oxidative bleaching......it won't fade it completely but it may distort the color or fade the black to blue (faster then it happens naturally)......that being said....you can't remove a tattoo by applying BP to it.....it's way to far down into the dermis to be removed using topicals. Maybe concentrated hydrchloirc acid or sulfuric acid would remove it, but it could also remove the flesh down to the bone.......so I don't suggest it.....stick with lasers....they work best, with minimal damage.....

Right i'll go for it so....it is gonna be big so may take a few visits...just have to get clear enough for it but only time will tell....when i get a chance i will go see an artist to get their opinion on the scars

Just have to pick a design now...bring on the pain :unsure:

Just have to pick a design now...bring on the pain :unsure:

I can almost feel the pain for you now!!! :injured:

You trying to make me nervous Vik? cos its working

LOL!! :D dont worry hawk theyre all just a bunch of wusses! WWCD? :chuck: im so glad i got my tattoo i want another one, take time with choosing the design tho ok? you dont wanna be regretting something like that. and post a pic when your inked up so we can see

I've been using TCA to fade a tatoo, it hurts- but the tat is fading slowly.

You trying to make me nervous Vik? cos its working

Nah, I'm just joking with you! It'll be fine, it just goes numb like it was mentioned before. Go for it, join the tattoo clan!!! :D

I want to get something original and personal so i will take a loooong time to decide but once i have its no going back...i will post a pic when i get it done indeed

Looking forward to being part of the clan :D

hey - i'm in the middle of my 5th month of accutane (my last month) and i really want to get a tattoo... i've heard that it is not recommended for one to get a tattoo while accutane is still in their system. how true is this? how bad would it be if i actually did get one?

wanting a tat aswell. nothing too big tho. my worry is after its done, it would really suck if i had to get it touched up once in a while. once its on the skin colour wont change and id end up with white holes in the tatoo? anyone any info on this?

You can tattoo over scars, but choose your tattoo design with them in mind because really fine details and things like that might not work depending on whether the scar is raised or indented or what have you. And also as someone mentioned before make sure you dont have any active acne where the tattoo will be going.

BMWfreak - Most of the time after a new tattoo you'll have to have a little touchup depending on how well it healed. And they fade over time especially when exposed in the sun. Of course once you have it, its your choice wether you want to get it touched up or not.

with regard to colour change i wouldjust like to mention that when i got mine i specified i wanted a black one because all the tatts i had seen were a kind of dark green colour and i didnt want this, sure enough ten years down the track my black tattoo has become a kind of dark green colour (not green but not black either) and the crisp lines are slightly blurred compared to what they were. so the black ink will go in black and shiny when its fresh, and then fade to that classic dark green colour, just so you know

and i dont think you could get a tattoo ruined by acne because its so deep under the skin, ive had some bacne on my tatt and it didnt have any lasting effect, i've also given it a 2nd degree sunburn (dont ask!) with grape sized blisters full of fluid on my back too at one point and that healed up nicely (i was terrified i would see the tattoo on the outside of the blister bubbles but no thank god it was underneath them) and it didnt effect the tattoo. the reason a tatttoo stays on is cos the ink is injected below the part of the skin that sheds/renews so it will always be there. and although it goes in as ink the skin cells absorb the ink over time and are permanently stained so holes etc are impossible as this ink isnt going anywhere once its become part of your back, and all that acne and shit happens to the skin above the tattoo.

with regard to colour change i wouldjust like to mention that when i got mine i specified i wanted a black one because all the tatts i had seen were a kind of dark green colour and i didnt want this, sure enough ten years down the track my black tattoo has become a kind of dark green colour (not green but not black either) and the crisp lines are slightly blurred compared to what they were. so the black ink will go in black and shiny when its fresh, and then fade to that classic dark green colour, just so you know

and i dont think you could get a tattoo ruined by acne because its so deep under the skin, ive had some bacne on my tatt and it didnt have any lasting effect, i've also given it a 2nd degree sunburn (dont ask!) with grape sized blisters full of fluid on my back too at one point and that healed up nicely (i was terrified i would see the tattoo on the outside of the blister bubbles but no thank god it was underneath them) and it didnt effect the tattoo. the reason a tatttoo stays on is cos the ink is injected below the part of the skin that sheds/renews so it will always be there. and although it goes in as ink the skin cells absorb the ink over time and are permanently stained so holes etc are impossible as this ink isnt going anywhere once its become part of your back, and all that acne and shit happens to the skin above the tattoo.

As far as the black goes it is all in how you protect your tattoo and what inks were used. Your black turning to green sounds like sun fade to me. If you don't put sun screen on your tattoos they will fade with time in the sun and black is notorious for turning dark green after seeing lots of sun over the years. If you protect your tats you shouldn't have a problem at all so don't be scared to go for black/grey work.

And pretty much the only way to ruin a tattoo is from getting burned, scarred, deep cuts, or getting sun damage. If you have acne on a tattoo as long as you dont pick at it and it doesn't scar there really shouldnt be a problem. You may experience a little ink loss where the spot was if it was really bad, but nothing major. And tattoos can always be touched up so I wouldn't really worry.

I've got a small tat on my shoulder that I got about 12 yrs ago. It was a spur of the moment decision without much thought behind it. It's faded now from all the time I've spent in the sun. I'm currently taking accutane and plan on either having it touched up or covered up with a new one after my course. That would be about 6 months after my course LOL. I have 2 tats now and am looking forward to having my shoulder done again. :dance:

Well i wont need to worry about the sun cos were i come from we get about 2 sunny days a year and its normally a Monday or Tuesday when everyone is in work....half of the country go sick from work and every beach and park in the place is full with human milk bottles worshipping this big Orange thing in the sky...then the next day its like attack of the lobster people...i think i can miss out on this burnfest for the sake of my new tattoo

All i have to do is make sure i have no active's in a few months and its all systems go

I am just about to get my sleeve started, but i didnt think that my acne would be a problem because i was on roaccutane till about a month and a half ago, but now im getting very small red bumbs on my forearm where they are going to start on friday.

But reading this I am now worried that due to the meds it might be a bad idea?

The spots/acne arnt lesions, they are very small and dont have any puss in them.

(hope i havent hijacked this thread from the original poster)

anyhow, I am not sure what to do, from expierience will it be ok?