Notifications
Clear all

Accutane Hair Loss

MemberMember
(@tehsmurf)

Posted : 04/11/2006 2:05 am

I don't know if any of you remember me because I wasn't every a heavy poster, but a maybe 4 or so months a go I would constantly ask about accutane hair loss and how it affected me. I thought that at the first sign of hair loss that I would go bald. Being 17 years old and having hair fall out is a very traumatic event, but I have lived through it. About 5-6 months after my accutane course, I began losing large quantities of hair. It seemed my hair was thinning and I began to panic. It's been over a year since my course ended and i'm happy to say my hair is the same as before accutane. It may be slightly dryer, but I cant varify for sure. Anyways, i'm happy with my hair and for those of you going through hair loss, you will be ok. I was and I paniced day and night. Losing hair while being in a relationship and not telling anyone is scary, but it stopped after about 6 months or so. Don't worry about it, but i'm defintely not taking accutane again!

MemberMember
(@baravykas)

Posted : 04/13/2006 8:52 am

Im really glad for you! Some people here come and claim there side effects to be permanent (that they would have to live with it till the end of their lives) however I think for a body to fully recover after tane it should take ~2-3 years. If these effects last till this period then you can say its permananent. You said your hair is slightly drier. I think some more time and it will be 100% the same as it was before.

MemberMember
(@xiomara)

Posted : 04/13/2006 12:28 pm

I posted this before, maybe it can help you too.

I'm not sure where you're located, but if there's a Walmart near you pick up a bottle or two of "Hair" pills. I've been taking these supplements for two months and my hair has grown fast and a little thicker. And they are cheap. Less than $5. Good luck.

MemberMember
(@ithappens)

Posted : 04/12/2007 2:40 am

I don't know if any of you remember me because I wasn't every a heavy poster, but a maybe 4 or so months a go I would constantly ask about accutane hair loss and how it affected me. I thought that at the first sign of hair loss that I would go bald. Being 17 years old and having hair fall out is a very traumatic event, but I have lived through it. About 5-6 months after my accutane course, I began losing large quantities of hair. It seemed my hair was thinning and I began to panic. It's been over a year since my course ended and i'm happy to say my hair is the same as before accutane. It may be slightly dryer, but I cant varify for sure. Anyways, i'm happy with my hair and for those of you going through hair loss, you will be ok. I was and I paniced day and night. Losing hair while being in a relationship and not telling anyone is scary, but it stopped after about 6 months or so. Don't worry about it, but i'm defintely not taking accutane again!
MemberMember
(@ithappens)

Posted : 04/12/2007 5:55 pm

It seemed my hair was thinning and I began to panic.
MemberMember
(@rachel-wiess)

Posted : 02/06/2011 6:02 am

Accutane hair loss affected my friend a couple of years back. Although she had hair weaving done (at that time we did not know about hair regrowth techniques), the pain was unbearable. All this because we did not have any good information.

I have created hairfallingout.net in an attempt to give some information that would help a lot of us. Let me know if this was helpful.

Thanks

MemberMember
(@realdeal101)

Posted : 10/13/2013 1:59 pm

I started accutane exactly 4 weeks ago today! It's been going okay so far, I've had a couple of the usual side effects like dry lips and dryness in general.

Over this past week I have started to experience a little joint pain in my knee which is bearable but what is now starting to worry me is my hair! I use to wash it everyday because it would get too greasy but now I only wash it twice a week. I have noticed that it is starting to thin at the front and I see a lot more hair coming out when I wash it. My scalp is very dry and was itchy before I bought some Eucerin scalp treatment which seems to help with the itchiness. I'm worried that it will get worse as I progress through the course. I wonder if it will grow back when I finish? I really hope so! I'm taking 50mg per day and my course is 16 weeks.

MemberMember
(@pathtorecovery91)

Posted : 01/11/2014 12:21 pm

Hey realdeal101 I was on accutane and experienced jointpain and inflammation. Go to youtube and type in accutane and protandim and click on the 2nd video. It talks about a supplement called Protandim that helped me out with those problems and could help you while being on accutane and helps when you get off of it. It acctually helps your skin as well.

MemberMember
(@jmarie876)

Posted : 01/27/2014 12:57 am

I am posting this in attempt to give a glimmer of hope to those who are suffering from hair loss after Accutane:

I underwent two courses of Accutane treatment. The first was 40mg per day and lasted for approximately 3 months. When my acne returned a year later, I restarted Accutane at 80mg per day and completed a 3 month course. Shortly after completion, I began to lose large quantities of hair every time I showered. My hair became so thin that I could easily see my scalp in certain areas. This continued for over 5 months. Needless to say, it was a very stressful time. I often browsed discussion boards like this to try and find some reassurance.

Several months into my hair loss experience, I began taking a prenatal vitamin, 5000mcg of biotin, and 2 saw palmetto capsules (even though I'm female) on a daily basis. I can't pinpoint the exact time when I began to lose less of my hair, but it was perhaps a month after starting this regimen. It has now been nearly a year since I took my last dose of Accutane, and I am thrilled to say that my hair density is seemingly back to normal. My daily hair loss is very minimal. I have stopped the saw palmetto, but still continue to take the prenatal vitamin and biotin. My face is still clear of acne as well.

If I could turn back the clock, I don't think I would choose to take Accutane again. While I don't have any lasting side effects at this time, it's obvious to me that this is a potent drug that is capable of affecting multiple body systems. Those who are thinking about starting Accutane, please reconsider and examine all your options. To those who are dealing with hair loss after taking Accutane, don't despair! Try out the regimen above and give your body some time to recuperate.

MemberMember
(@woanchii0512)

Posted : 01/27/2014 6:48 am

I am posting this in attempt to give a glimmer of hope to those who are suffering from hair loss after Accutane:[/size]

[/size]

I underwent two courses of Accutane treatment. The first was 40mg per day and lasted for approximately 3 months. When my acne returned a year later, I restarted Accutane at 80mg per day and completed a 3 month course. Shortly after completion, I began to lose large quantities of hair every time I showered. My hair became so thin that I could easily see my scalp in certain areas. This continued for over 5 months. Needless to say, it was a very stressful time. I often browsed discussion boards like this to try and find some reassurance.[/size]

[/size]

Several months into my hair loss experience, I began taking a prenatal vitamin, 5000mcg of biotin, and 2 saw palmetto capsules (even though I'm female) on a daily basis. I can't pinpoint the exact time when I began to lose less of my hair, but it was perhaps a month after starting this regimen. It has now been nearly a year since I took my last dose of Accutane, and I am thrilled to say that my hair density is seemingly back to normal. My daily hair loss is very minimal. I have stopped the saw palmetto, but still continue to take the prenatal vitamin and biotin. My face is still clear of acne as well.[/size]

[/size]

If I could turn back the clock, I don't think I would choose to take Accutane again. While I don't have any lasting side effects at this time, it's obvious to me that this is a potent drug that is capable of affecting multiple body systems. Those who are thinking about starting Accutane, please reconsider and examine all your options. To those who are dealing with hair loss after taking Accutane, don't despair! Try out the regimen above and give your body some time to recuperate.[/size]

I'm thinking of trying the supplements you've mentioned but I'm wondering are they safe from any serious side effects?

MemberMember
(@sunsetblvd)

Posted : 01/27/2014 9:56 pm

I am posting this in attempt to give a glimmer of hope to those who are suffering from hair loss after Accutane:

I underwent two courses of Accutane treatment. The first was 40mg per day and lasted for approximately 3 months. When my acne returned a year later, I restarted Accutane at 80mg per day and completed a 3 month course. Shortly after completion, I began to lose large quantities of hair every time I showered. My hair became so thin that I could easily see my scalp in certain areas. This continued for over 5 months. Needless to say, it was a very stressful time. I often browsed discussion boards like this to try and find some reassurance.

Several months into my hair loss experience, I began taking a prenatal vitamin, 5000mcg of biotin, and 2 saw palmetto capsules (even though I'm female) on a daily basis. I can't pinpoint the exact time when I began to lose less of my hair, but it was perhaps a month after starting this regimen. It has now been nearly a year since I took my last dose of Accutane, and I am thrilled to say that my hair density is seemingly back to normal. My daily hair loss is very minimal. I have stopped the saw palmetto, but still continue to take the prenatal vitamin and biotin. My face is still clear of acne as well.

If I could turn back the clock, I don't think I would choose to take Accutane again. While I don't have any lasting side effects at this time, it's obvious to me that this is a potent drug that is capable of affecting multiple body systems. Those who are thinking about starting Accutane, please reconsider and examine all your options. To those who are dealing with hair loss after taking Accutane, don't despair! Try out the regimen above and give your body some time to recuperate.

Thanks for posting something uplifting for those of us dealing with this awful side effect :)

MemberMember
(@jmarie876)

Posted : 01/27/2014 11:40 pm

MemberMember
(@sunsetblvd)

Posted : 01/28/2014 3:20 pm

Well I'm not a medical doctor, so take my suggestions with a grain of salt smile.png

I have not heard of any serious side effects occurring from taking any of the supplements I mentioned. However, if you are taking other prescription medications simultaneously, I would check with my doctor to make sure it's safe to take the additional supplements.

All the best!

I am posting this in attempt to give a glimmer of hope to those who are suffering from hair loss after Accutane:[/size]

[/size]

I underwent two courses of Accutane treatment. The first was 40mg per day and lasted for approximately 3 months. When my acne returned a year later, I restarted Accutane at 80mg per day and completed a 3 month course. Shortly after completion, I began to lose large quantities of hair every time I showered. My hair became so thin that I could easily see my scalp in certain areas. This continued for over 5 months. Needless to say, it was a very stressful time. I often browsed discussion boards like this to try and find some reassurance.[/size]

[/size]

Several months into my hair loss experience, I began taking a prenatal vitamin, 5000mcg of biotin, and 2 saw palmetto capsules (even though I'm female) on a daily basis. I can't pinpoint the exact time when I began to lose less of my hair, but it was perhaps a month after starting this regimen. It has now been nearly a year since I took my last dose of Accutane, and I am thrilled to say that my hair density is seemingly back to normal. My daily hair loss is very minimal. I have stopped the saw palmetto, but still continue to take the prenatal vitamin and biotin. My face is still clear of acne as well.[/size]

[/size]

If I could turn back the clock, I don't think I would choose to take Accutane again. While I don't have any lasting side effects at this time, it's obvious to me that this is a potent drug that is capable of affecting multiple body systems. Those who are thinking about starting Accutane, please reconsider and examine all your options. To those who are dealing with hair loss after taking Accutane, don't despair! Try out the regimen above and give your body some time to recuperate.[/size]

I'm thinking of trying the supplements you've mentioned but I'm wondering are they safe from any serious side effects?

a side effect of large quantities of biotin is breakouts

MemberMember
(@andrewuk)

Posted : 01/29/2014 2:09 pm

Is hair loss linked to dosage or the length of the course?

MemberMember
(@londoncat8)

Posted : 03/11/2014 2:09 am

Just for those of you who might be interested. I took accutane or 7 months most of the time with the 20mg dose except for 1 month, taking 30mg. My hair loss started 1 month after I finished my course and at the same time when acne returned to what it was before. My hair was falling out non stop for 6 months. I thought I lost 60% of it but trycologist told me I lost only 30% and out of this 10% hair loss was permanent. He said it would take 2 years to fully recover to what my hair was before without taking anything. But if I wanted something faster I can do biotin and treatments although they are not necessary. I decided to take 5 hair treatments (lamp therapy) and I was taking 20.000mg of biotin daily. If you want biotin to help you need to take at least 5000mg per day no less(i took even more). My hair started to grow thicker within 6 months of me taking biotin and doing hair treatments occasionally. I would say biotin is the best, treatments were more like a placebo pill for me:) I have very thick straight asian hair. After accutane my hair was growing wavy(as in bad perm wiery) and thin and of different colour¦ I have naturally black hair and it grew ginger. It does get better but it seems like an endless struggle when you see your hair falling every time you take a shower. My hair was falling into my food when I was eating..it was disgusting! lol I wish all who suffer hair loss to be brave and have faith. Do take biotin! I do not believe biotin gave me any breakouts but I am on a regimen so maybe if I was not it would¦.Good Luck to all!:)