Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
425bear

Accutane or Birth Control Pills

hi guys: i have really oily skin and im thinking about taking either BCP or do a course of Accutane, what do all think? I always have persistant moderate acne problems throughout my life. any suggestions?

thanks

You should be on BCP during an Accutane course anyway, so start with the BCP. You will probably have to experiment to find which brand agrees with you, then give that brand at least three months to see if it can clear you alone. If not, then consider Accutane and stay on the BCP at least until one month after the course is complete. This is a good approach since you have time to assess the BCP's side effects without the complications of Accutane, you can get used to taking it every day, and you'll have already been on it for the required month beforehand.

the only thing im worry about taking BCP is that I have to take it for life or else my acne will come back. Is that true? also would BCP reduce my skin's oil production?

thanks!

You should be on BCP during an Accutane course anyway, so start with the BCP. You will probably have to experiment to find which brand agrees with you, then give that brand at least three months to see if it can clear you alone. If not, then consider Accutane and stay on the BCP at least until one month after the course is complete. This is a good approach since you have time to assess the BCP's side effects without the complications of Accutane, you can get used to taking it every day, and you'll have already been on it for the required month beforehand.

the only thing im worry about taking BCP is that I have to take it for life or else my acne will come back. Is that true? also would BCP reduce my skin's oil production?

thanks!

I think BCP will only work if your acne is caused by hormonal imbalances. Orthotrycycline never helped my acne. I have read that acne caused by too much male hormones in females tends to be on the cheeks, chin and under the jawline. Also, some females who have too much male hormone will have unwanted hair on upper lip or on the chin. But I have learned that nothing is the same for everyone, because I have the characteristic acne along and under the jawline, but BCP didn't do anything to help me. I agree that you should try BCP first without the accutane and see if it helps you. BCP much safer for your body, I think.