Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Holly_08

Losing weight

Hi, I've been coming to these boards for some time now about my acne problem, and fortunatley I've been getting that under control a little. But now I'm concerned about weight loss. Does anyone know how can a college student have a more healthy diet that doesn't consume too much time to make and is under budget??

I have a hard time keeping up a schedule as it is and I've had health related problems in the past like anemia. It caused me a lot of hearthache because I just didn't know what my body needed (I was losing weight too quickly/lost a lot of my hair/energy/stamina/fainted a few times), I was a mess. Sometimes I was so busy I litterally forgot to eat. When it got serious, I began cramming, stuffing and binging things that were quick easy and didn't take at all any effort to make (i.e. --junk food) so I gained A LOT of weight as a result--unhealthy weight. I'm maybe 20-25 lbs overweight for my 5'0" small frame (140lbs). And I'd like to hear suggestions of what I should be buying in my weekly groceries because all I find are meals in a box and I am a horrible cook! Plus low on cash. :doubt:

By the way, I take enough dietary supplements. I need supplements from the foods I eat, but I wouldn't mind hearing of supplements that might be better than Centrum/Women's One A Day and other over the counters.

Well the stores, they got food called fruits and veggies, all kinds of em'. They pregrow them for you so they're all ready to eat, no cooking required AT ALL!

Now try to find a quicker way than that, I dare ya. Or more healthy for that matter. I triple dog dare ya!

Um, as far as a Centrum replacement let me suggest this multi, it's pretty comprehensive, and in many cases can replace many other things you may be taking separately.

http://store.yahoo.com/iherb/alive4.html

Well the stores, they got food called fruits and veggies, all kinds of em'. They pregrow them for you so they're all ready to eat, no cooking required AT ALL!

Now try to find a quicker way than that, I dare ya. Or more healthy for that matter. I triple dog dare ya!

lol! well, you can't live on fruit and veggies alone...I guess I should emphasize that my main problem is my hair. I lost A LOT of hair with my diet drama.

Um, as far as a Centrum replacement let me suggest this multi, it's pretty comprehensive, and in many cases can replace many other things you may be taking separately.

http://store.yahoo.com/iherb/alive4.html

wow, that's like the Hiroshima of all mega diets. I think I might try that. Thanks

Um, who told you that you can't live on fruits and veggies alone? Cuz whoever they are they're full shi.....o wait I left out nuts, legumes, and grains. These can be found with the fruits n veggies. ALL you need, little to no cooking required.

Also on the whole hair thing. You are aware that the typical western diet is severely deficient in organic sulfur (please refer to the SULFUR thread I bumped, or any on ONE of 10,000+ GOOGLE located net pages). Sulfur is vital and found IN HUGE AMOUNTS in hair, skin, and nails. Ever burned hair, ever wonder what that smell is, that's right, SULFUR.

Organic sulfur is found in MSM or Methysulfonylmethane for long. If it's not the animal type (for horses) then it's the plant type (like in veggies of the cabbage and brocoli type). It has high bioavailability and will absorb through the tummy walls (as opposed to the intestinal walls, [normal]).

YOU JUST BEEN SCHOOLED. O for hecks sake I'm done typing, now JOO STRAT TEH GOOGLING!!!!!!!!!!

YOU JUST BEEN SCHOOLED. O for hecks sake I'm done typing, now JOO STRAT TEH GOOGLING!!!!!!!!!!

I will I will don't spank me......Allllrrrriiiiiiiiiiight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My simple, cheap and most convenient weight loss secret...

1) DRINK WATER

2) WALK

A good estimate of how much you should drink daily is to take your body weight in pounds and divide that number in half.

Drinking is good for your health (system) and your skin.

Here's what I do. I bought a pretty nalgene water bottle (500ml) and have been carrying it around like baby bottle. I drink it often and whenever I feel like bingeing. It curbs hunger and suppress appetite. I eat 5x a day... a light breakfast, a fruit in between, lunch, another fruit and dinner. I complete drinking another 1 litre of water before bed and after dinner.

I also start walking more and get physical as much as possible. Find excuses to move around, take the stairs, go shopping often etc.

I've not really done anything much to my diet but drinking water according to my body weight seems to help me eat less and lose weight gradually.

cheers = =

Guest yahyah

Hiya x

In my opinion drinking water really is a must, it can get a little boring and tasteless so squash/cordial etc is the next best thing. Try not to drink fizzy drinks especially the 'diet' versions (contain aspartame) because they cause so much work for your liver. Tea is good too, but don't go overboard.

Then food, well packets of frozen vegatables you can buy at the supermarkets - they're cheap and only take 10 mins to boil- aswell as potatoes (also cheap and fast to miscrowave). Fruit and veggies really are the way to go when you're trying to eat 'healthy' (not diet - diets don't work!), but they can obviously get boring so try to vary them and try sultanas and other dried fruit as sweet alternatives. In terms of a protein source, eggs, mince, tins of chilli concarne etc are cheap and good for you.....

Main thing is tho... no more buying 'microwave dinners'.

Healthy eating really can be done on a budget! Especially if you're cutting out chocolate, crips, fizzy drinks etc which are way more expensive. The main thing is not to drastically cut down on your food intake, but to slowly factor out the 'junk food' and eat healthy fruit/veg/meat alternatives... don't skip meals or eat in between meals (don't snack)... eat breakfast, lunch and dinner... about 4-5 hours apart from each other, walk, drink water and your body will thank you!

Then after a couple of weeks of getting used to your new healthy routine, then start to eat smaller portions etc...

Remember diets don't work!!!

weight training is good

Muscle increases the amount of calories you burn a day.

Agreed......enough lean muscle and you don't even need to do cardio anymore. I still do to keep my heart healthy, but if funds get short and I can't afford my groceries to meet my 3000/day calorie requirments (4'11", 105lbs)...I cut way back on the cardio....I don't need to burn that extra 500 calories when funds are short......

If you can get to a gym.....go lift some weights and do cardio (35-45minutes, moderate to high intensity) at least 5X a week.......

About the eating....it's hard when your in college....cafe food is so bad for you and it's hard to not fall into the fast food/diner food/chinese takeout trap......

Do you actually have a kitchen there? Don't not eat ever....eat at least three times a day if not more. Don't go more then 5 hours without food. Cut out soday and sweetened ice teas, and switch to water. You can add lemon or lime to it, you'll cut out a few hundred calories a day that way. If you must snack try some carrots or celery and peanut butter, or some pita and hummus.......You can make salads, and make your own dressing (don't use the bottled dressings from the store), and you can get a George Foreman grill and grill up some chicken breast or salmon (hopefully your rommates don't mind the odor). Then steam some veggies (you can even use a microwave) like spinich or green beans. (Frozen or fresh are way better than canned).......the cool think about fruits and veggies is that they're cheap....it's the maet that gets pricey, and I don't eat meat much anymore (Although I do try to get fish in about 3-4 times a week).....

don't skip meals or eat in between meals (don't snack)... eat breakfast, lunch and dinner... about 4-5 hours apart from each other

I agree with alomost everything everyone else has said, except this. Any doctor or nutritionist would tell you its better to eat 5 smaller meals a day than to eat 2 or 3 larger ones, and don't go more than 3 hours or so without eating something. That way you are never starving your body, and it keeps your metabolism up all day while you are burning the calories. I tend to snack on non-fat yogurt between meals (I used to hate yogurt, but I found that the Dannon Light'n'Fit is really yummy! They make non-fat fruit and yogurt smoothies, too!) Other than that, just drink lots of water. I dont dont really think microwave dinners are terrible for you. I eat a frozen Lean Cuisine for lunch every day and it has a wide variety of things that are good for you. Most include some type of fresh meat and veggies (yes, I said fresh, like still raw before you nuke it) and whole grains. And they help with portion control, too. Whatever you do, just make sure you enjoy it, or you will get sick of it very quickly and you will be less likely to stick to it. Add a little more physical activity (both cardio and strength training are essential) and you are set to go! Good luck!!

Losing weight can be hard, but remaining your current weight can be harder when you are not strict enough to your plate you eat each day... I'm always careful with what I'm eating...mostly tend to veggies and fruits which give good...

My always diet plan is exercise regularly ( no need to do it every single day, but four to five days is fine ), drink two litres of water ( at least ) be less stressed out on any shit ( haha ) ... this will take time to lose weight, but always healthy...

I guess everyone's body is different like metabolism and all that stuffs... I guess you'd better boost up your metabolism rate so it'll be more effective when works... :)

That's just my method and way of thinking ... though you probably have some different... ;)

I try to keep my grocery shopping in the perimeter of the store. Fruits, veggies, low-fat dairy. Then I swing up the aisle that has the tuna and sardines packed in water. I also try to keep whole grain, high fiber cereals on hand. My new fave is Kashi Go-Lean Crunch.

When I was a destitute student most of my meals were smoked turkey breast, cottage cheese and grape tomatoes. Cheap, and you can shed some pounds.

And I couldn't have survived without ramen noodles.

i lost 30 pounds through proper diet and (key word here) excercise!

if you go to a university you most likely have a free gym membership, so this will be a perfect opportunity to use it :-)

drink plenty of water (at least three 20 oz bottles a day) and do NOT be afraid to lift weights, women will never ever get bulky unless they take steroids. lots of cardio and low weight with high repetitions for women as a form of 'lifting weights' is a total crock. do not be afraid to push yourself when lifting weights.

the results you will see from proper diet, lifting weights AND cardio (as opposed to cardio alone) will be dramatic! if you do not lift weights and just do cardio or just do a diet, you will be smaller, but you will just be a smaller version of your fat self, rather than a smaller fitter and tighter sexy baby.

one good place to start is http://www.bodyforlife.com

if you do not know how to use the weight lifting machines at your gym, please do not hesitate to ask an employee or another person lifting weights.

microwave meals are actually OKAY, provided that they're lean cuisines. I am sure there are other brands, but lean cuisines are low cal so they help...

lots of cardio and low weight with high repetitions for women as a form of 'lifting weights' is a total crock. do not be afraid to push yourself when lifting weights.

why is this a crock? it makes intuitive sense to me... the last thing i want is bulging muscles, just smooth, lean ones (although i know that you can't really control your body type or inherent muscular build).

is lifting low weights at a high rep useless? or does it just get you to your goal at a slower pace? are lunges/pushups/pullups considered weight lifting (because you are using your own body weight)? and are you dead sure that larger weights REALLY won't beef up a woman?

lots of cardio and low weight with high repetitions for women as a form of 'lifting weights' is a total crock. do not be afraid to push yourself when lifting weights.

why is this a crock? it makes intuitive sense to me... the last thing i want is bulging muscles, just smooth, lean ones (although i know that you can't really control your body type or inherent muscular build).

is lifting low weights at a high rep useless? or does it just get you to your goal at a slower pace? are lunges/pushups/pullups considered weight lifting (because you are using your own body weight)? and are you dead sure that larger weights REALLY won't beef up a woman?

As long as you work the muscle to complete exhaustion both are fine (which means you just can't do even one more rep). Lifting heavy will cause the muscle to fail much more quickly than lifting light, and causes more immediate damage to the muscle. So the muscle reapirs itself and fills in all the little tears in the muscle with new muscle tissue. If I lift heavy I do notice that my muscles look shorter and rounder......which I actually like (my huge glutes give my bottom a nice curve to it.....I can squat 175lbs and I'm a tiny little girl).....not I'm not huge......I'm just under 5' (151cm)and I weagh about 105lbs (48kg).

As women we lack the amount of growth hormone needed to produce the muscle growth that can be seen in men. This is why I can squat 175lbs (soon to be 190lbs) and I wear a size 0. It's not as easy for us to bulk up (and I do have a body type where it's easy to get bulky......which I work to my advantage) Without my "bulky" muscles I 'd have a hard time fitting in grown up clothes. I need that tiny bit of bulk.

I do lift light sometimes. I go to a class that is called Growp Power (used to be Body Pump). It's a group weithlifting class, that uses high reps (and I mean high reps) and relatively low weight. Sure I can squat 175lbs, but I can only do it 6-8 times. I can't do it 150 times in a row. I only use 45lbs in that class, and I will say it does work the muscles just as well as when I few weight suqat with the big weights.......and it's probably better for my knees and back. I just don't see the differance as fast.........That class not only grows muscle stregnth, but muscle endurance as well.........Light lifting works just as well, but you won't see results as fast. Most women who lift light don't lift heavy enough (that 2lb, barbell isn't gonna do anything unless you curl it 200 times). And most women don't do enough reps when lifting light. Curling 5lbs is fine, if you do about 4 sets of 20 reps. I'd just rater curl 15lbs in 3 sets of 8-10 reps.....it just takes less time.....and my arms don't get bulky.........

Lifting heavy is more time efficient and it bulks the muscles a little faster......now for women, our muscles don't get that much bigger, when compared to men......but the more lean muscle tissue you have that faster your resting metabolism becomes, because muscle tissue is metabolically active tissue.....so those "bulky" quads and biceps will help you burn off your tummy flab and little lovehandles enen while you are sleeping or sitting on the couch watching soaps......you burn more calories at rest to support the muscle tissue........so you create a calorie deficit and loose more weight than just by doing cardio alone........lifting heavy means more immediate muscle growth.....so the process is more time efficient ........and not just counting the time you actually spend in the gym......you'll loose the extra fat much faster than by lifting light and doing cardio..........

I actually do both to vary my strenth and endurance. I already have all the muscle tissue I want....so I just maintain my muscles now.......I lift heavy 1-2 times a weeks and I do that class about twice a week. I kinda alternate betwwen heavy/light lifting. I also do Pilates at home, so that I keep some flexability and I have a strong core......and it keeps my tummy really flat....

Ladies don't be afraid to pick up that bar and add a little more weight.........

best way to lose weight is exercise, diets only work for a short time as u will most likely go back to your old eating habits eventually so if u want to lose weight u have to take up regular exercise OR completely change ur eating habits, i eat whatever junk i want (i do eat alot of fruit and veg tho) and i still managed to lose half a stone of fat (7 pounds) in the last 3 weeks all because i take thai boxing lessons and go to the gym regularly, i also dont own a car at the moment so i have to walk everywhere which also helps alot.

one good place to start is http://www.bodyforlife.com

:clap:

I eat 6 meals a day spaced about 3 hours apart. Lots of water, fruit, veggies and high quality protein. I take a high quality fish oil prior to working out, Tonalin and Emergen C which is a Vitamin C supplement. Weight training 3 days a week with high intensity cardio 5 times/week (treadmill and rower). I highly endorse the body for life plan and also Tom Venuto's Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle. There is also some really good information at Buff Mother. Good luck! :dance:

There are some great fatloss supplements which are healthy and also reportedly very good at fighting acne:

Avant Labs SesaThin

SciVation Sesamin

MAN Vaporize

These are basically the same supplements but from different companies and use different doesages/price.

Here is a brief writeup for one of these supps

SesaThin: Super Fish Oil

Sesamin is a naturally occurring lignan present in sesame oil. It possesses great potential for decreasing fat mass and in fighting obesity and metabolic syndrome, via its effects on fatty acid oxidation and adipogenic gene expression. And, with research showing very strong correlations between inflammation, oxidative stress, obesity, and metabolic syndrome, sesamin’s anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties could be just as significant, if not more so. It also has the potential to stack very well with other supplementsthat modulate these systems, such as LeptiGen, stimulants, androgens, and Ab-Solved.

To summarize:

Increases fat burning

Decreases fat storage

Combats elevated cholesterol

Potent anti-oxidant

Potent anti-inflammatory

Hepato-protective

Stimulant free

thank you all for your replies. in regards to the weight lifting, on all these bodybuilding sites the look is a very chiseled and muscular one and i don't want that for myself.

how should i weight lift so that i build muscle but... not that much muscle, i guess?

Hi, I've been coming to these boards for some time now about my acne problem, and fortunatley I've been getting that under control a little. But now I'm concerned about weight loss. Does anyone know how can a college student have a more healthy diet that doesn't consume too much time to make and is under budget??

I have a hard time keeping up a schedule as it is and I've had health related problems in the past like anemia. It caused me a lot of hearthache because I just didn't know what my body needed (I was losing weight too quickly/lost a lot of my hair/energy/stamina/fainted a few times), I was a mess. Sometimes I was so busy I litterally forgot to eat. When it got serious, I began cramming, stuffing and binging things that were quick easy and didn't take at all any effort to make (i.e. --junk food) so I gained A LOT of weight as a result--unhealthy weight. I'm maybe 20-25 lbs overweight for my 5'0" small frame (140lbs). And I'd like to hear suggestions of what I should be buying in my weekly groceries because all I find are meals in a box and I am a horrible cook! Plus low on cash. :doubt:

By the way, I take enough dietary supplements. I need supplements from the foods I eat, but I wouldn't mind hearing of supplements that might be better than Centrum/Women's One A Day and other over the counters.

hey there

im a college student who has lost weight so ill try to help ya out

first off im a 5 foot 11 18 year old male and weighed 155 when i got out to college in august

i weighed 163 during winter break and have dieted since it was over (mid jan)

of course for being 18 and almost 6 foot tall 163 is not overweight at all, but i wanted to get to 150 so id feel better and healthier (i currently weighed in today at 148)

first off i stopped driking any alchol. it has so many calories all i drink now is water and ocasionally diet soda when i need a sweet fix. also i work out 30 minutes a day (i run 3+ miles) in the very beginning of the day. eating breakfast is a must and snacking should be kept to a minimum (only eat healthy shit like fruit, veggies). if you are always on the go you can buy slimfast shakes or bars. they are great for breakfast (you must eat breakfast) or any other meal. they are very healthy, low calorie and taste great. here are just some suggestions. pm me if u want to ask me anything else.

and good luck!

kevin

and do NOT be afraid to lift weights, women will never ever get bulky unless they take steroids. lots of cardio and low weight with high repetitions for women as a form of 'lifting weights' is a total crock. do not be afraid to push yourself when lifting weights.

the results you will see from proper diet, lifting weights AND cardio (as opposed to cardio alone) will be dramatic! if you do not lift weights and just do cardio or just do a diet, you will be smaller, but you will just be a smaller version of your fat self, rather than a smaller fitter and tighter sexy baby.

Ive been working with a personal trainer for a while now, and this statement is absolutely correct! For women, lifting heavy weights will not cause you to "bulk-up." Our bodies are just not designed that way. Female body builders take lots and lots of steroids to make their bodies look that way. Lifting heavy weights for girls will just tone and tighten. Trust me! I DO lift heavy weights, and Im NOT bulky! You want to make sure that you cant do more than 10-12 reps MAX (that should be your failure point. Failure just means you cannot possibly do one more rep), and do 3 sets of each. Personally, I like to alternate my "pushing muscles" and "pulling muscles" on different days of the week. For example, Mon: pushing muscles (squats for legs, push-ups, chair dips for triceps, some ab-work, and 30 minutes of cardio), Tues: pulling muscles (bicep curls, lat pull downs, hamstring curls, and 30 minutes of cardio) Wed: no weights (off day for muscles to rest, only 45-60 minutes of cardio), then Thur: pushing muscles again, Fri: pulling muscles again, Sat: only cardio, Sun: off (rest entire body). Thats what my trainer has set for me and it seems to work very well. Hope that helped a little!

hunnybee, thanks for your response! so do you know what your body is turning out to look like? not bulky... but streamlined?

and labgirl, you said that lifting heavy weights gives you shorter, rounder looking muscles... is there picture on the internet that you can compare this to? do you know what would give you leaner muscles?

what amount of weights would you two recommend to start with?

i also remember reading on these boards that weight lifting increases androgens in the body. is this true?

There are a lot of multi-vitamins out there.

I'd head to a health store and see what your options are there.

Some supplements are pretty shitty.

Supplements are allowed to say ANYTHING on the bottle

as long as they state it isn't a cure.

You may be a horrible cook,

but there are some things that are very easy to make!

I suggest getting a very simple cookbook.

There are easy recipes out there for the cooking challenged.

A very easy thing to do is buy frozen chicken strips

thaw them a bit in the microwave

and then throw them on the frying pan.

You can also steam veggies which is easy.

(steamed veggies are the best way to make veggies

since it retains the vitamins, etc.

which are lost by preparing them other ways)

If I were to go buy groceries right now I'd get. . .

-Lettuce (not head lettuce-not as good for you)

-Spinach (can be in a stir fry, or in a sald)

-Apples (good source of fiber)-and any other type of fruit you like

-Cereal (a healthy one!)

-Cheese (but not to eat a lot of daily)

-Yogurt with live cultures (such as the stoneyfield brand)

-Granola (tasty with milk, alone, or mixed with yogurt+fruit)

-Oatmeal (tasty and good for you)-try to buy plain oatmeal and you add a bit of brown sugar, syrup, or something else you like to flavor it, it's better for you than the flavored ones.

-Oil and apple cider vinegar (tasty salad dressing)

-Canned beans (good source of fiber)

-Wheat tortillas

-Eggs

-Lean turkey

There are a ton of other things, but those are a good starting pt.

Since you don't cook keep things handy that are easy to put together.

Such as the salad ingredients, and burrito ingredients.