Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

OK THIRD TIME tryna make a topic buggin me oh so much!....neways

this is me:

u can call me tess...frosh at college 18 years old 5 5 135lbs wid tuns of acne...nodules cysts pustules papules u name it i got it...neways ive tried it all doxy tetra spiro proact facials glycolic peels bottom line need accutane

so i was wondering how should i go about my derm appt...what should i tell him

also how were ur 1st derm appts after how long did u get the accutane...this is a new guy im nervous i want to start accutane now so that my acne has subsided by mid july!

ok thanks yall :dance:

Simply tell them that you have tried topical medications and they havn't responded with your acne and you want Accutane.

When you do this, you almost want to get your mad face on, because many Derms will turn you down. It turns out you're the customer and you ARE in a spot where Accutane makes sense.

If they say no then tell them "Thank you for your time, But I will search for enother Derm."

Good luck, Tess!

thank you so much for responding!! yea im totally gunna fight for accutane my face is like gross also i had another question...wen u wetn to the derm what was ur process like did u get the accutane immediately or did u have to wait i dont know wat they do for accutane appts...

I am going to agree with my man, char. Your next question, if you are in America, you have to wait because of Ipledge and as long as you are in a country that requires blood preg tests you must wait a month to have 2 neg blood pregnancy test and one urine. Best of luck, hun!

Yeah Amber is right.. when u do get approved, you will have to wait at least 30 days to start because of this new program called ipledge (i have 2 weeks left) My advice to you is to get your derm to say yes asap... I had trouble convincing my derm... but after the 4th time in one month i was in his office, he finally gave in.. i even wrote him a page long letter pouring my heart to him (im pretty sure it helped) even though i felt so embarassed it worked! Accutane is a miracle drug and i was willing to do anything! Good luck to u!

Yeah, ... hate to tell you but you probably won't be clear by july! Accutane takes the full 6 months plus recovery time to clear you! Especially with iPledge and all the difficulty you have to get it. Just don't get your hopes too high! Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings but accutane isn't all fun and games! It is a WONDERFUL drug and I wouldn't change my decision to take it... but don't expect miracles in the first month of taking it! It takes most people 3-4 months to significantly clear plus time to fade red marks! (Derms won't tell you how it REALLY is... but WE will :) )

About your derm appointment, tell him what you told us. You have tried everything else, you are aware of the side effects, and you don't want to waste the best years of your life suffering with acne. And I agree with char and amber and jen!

GUESS WATTTTTTTTTTT so i went to the derm...and im not gunna lie im abstinent and i will remain so until i get married to the man of my dreams (**blushes**) so i told my derm and he was like i believe you and im trusting you ...just sign the ipledge...so we can start you on accutane next friday (4/21) as long as u take the blood work tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so any other hints etc...im gunna try to lay low until junish im going to a wedding march 31 thatll be a month later how were yalls initial breakouts/any advice on taking accutane?

See the accutane logs forum for all the best advice you could ever get!

But for me:

-Never go ANYWHERE without chapstick! Ever...ever...ever...ever. It SUCKS. I recommend anything from Bath & Body Works because they all taste yummy, aren't super shiny, and have aewsome staying power!

-Wash with a very gentle cleanser - time duration: just long enough to lather your face and rinse off. ~10-15 seconds!

-Oil of Olay Complete with SPF is a great moisturizer - not greasy, and has sunscreen - your skin gets extremely thin and sensitive while on accutane!

-Baby yourself on accutane - get lots of sleep, drink lots of fluids, eat food that is good for you. Treat yourself like you have the flu for 6 months! Your body is under a lot of stress.

-Always take accutane with a fatty meal - it is a vitamin A derivative which is fat-soluble, and it absorbs into the body much more efficiently when it has fat to bind to.

-Don't get Olay Quench moisturizer for your body. It smells like grandma. :) But the Olay in-shower moisturizer is GOLD because you don't have to wait to put on your clothes since it rinses off.

-Don't exfoliate any part of your body more than once every week or two. Your skin can't handle the microabrasions.

-Keep lots of bandaids - your skin is going to crack, peel, tear, and otherwise become damaged extremely easy!

-Keep a photo journal if nothing else, even though it can be painful to look at the pictures - you won't beleive how far you have come.

-Be aware that you might get an initial breakout. Most derms won't tell you this because it is disheartening to think your skin will get worse before it gets better. (It will likely get oilier before it gets drier also!) BUT ... it will be all over with in just 2-3 weeks!

GOOD LUCK! Accutane is the best thing I ever did for myself. This is about all the advice I have to offer! :)

I posted this in another girl's post asking for help. It's the best I can offer!

if your acne are bad enough, just tell him u need accutane and he/she will agree !!

Wow! Miss Tennessee just about covered everything!!! Way to go!! I just wanted to say good luck! This really is an awesome drug. I definately got much oilier in the first week, and then the initial breakout towards the end of the first week. After that everything got really dry, and by the second week the initial breakout was clearing. Aquaphor is great for lips (its an ointment made by Eucerin, found near all the body lotions), and I make it a habit to moisturize my hands like crazy to prevent eczema (I started early to catch it before it ever started, I definately recommend starting to moisturize EVERYTHING even before it gets dry, b/c once your lips, hands, or anything get too dry and start to peel its much harder to restore your skin to normal). Other than that, just sit back and enjoy the ride (it can be a bumpy ride though). Good luck!!! :)

miss ten-THANK YOUUUUUU SO MUCH! u da bomb

char char thank you too!

hunnybe-thanks for the encouragement!

I am soooooooo excited i cant even tell you and mis ten i will be sure to rest after may 6 im on VACA yeaaaaa...also i had 1 more question

so say i needed to get my eyebrows done...would waxing be out of the question? how about threading?

thank-you! also what kinda makeup did/do yall use while on accutane?

TOODLES hugs and kisses for every1

miss ten-THANK YOUUUUUU SO MUCH! u da bomb

:D :D :D

Get your brows waxed pre-accutane and just do maintenence with tweezers the whole time. It SUCKS having to tweeze so much but it's better than acne! Threading might be okay, I've never done it before. You just don't want to wax cause it really will rip the skin off with it! As for makeup, I've used the MAC liquid concealer and then the pressed powder. It's decent coverage, so it won't glob on and cover everything up, but that's good cause it doesn't clog pores. You should be fine with whatever you pick. I'm so excited for you!

Yeah, ... hate to tell you but you probably won't be clear by july! Accutane takes the full 6 months plus recovery time to clear you! Especially with iPledge and all the difficulty you have to get it. Just don't get your hopes too high! Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings but accutane isn't all fun and games! It is a WONDERFUL drug and I wouldn't change my decision to take it... but don't expect miracles in the first month of taking it! It takes most people 3-4 months to significantly clear plus time to fade red marks! (Derms won't tell you how it REALLY is... but WE will :) )

About your derm appointment, tell him what you told us. You have tried everything else, you are aware of the side effects, and you don't want to waste the best years of your life suffering with acne. And I agree with char and amber and jen!

Hey, I looked at your gallery and it looks like you're amazingly clear within 2.5 months. So, does it normally take 6 months? The only reason I ask is because I'm desperate to be clear by August. I'm going to see the dermatologist next Tuesday, and I need to know whether or not I should beg for accutane. (i.e. is it going to work within 4 months?). Thanks.

There is absolutely no guarantee that accutane will clear you in 4 months. For instance, some people with severe nodular acne start clearing immediately after the IB and it's all positive results from there. Some people with severe nodular acne develop cysts the entire time they are on accutane. For me, I had/have persistent mild-moderate acne, and I have just been really lucky. I had a mild IB and have (pretty much) cleared ever since. But there are people (like celebration) who had mild-moderate acne and actually started developing cysts while on accutane.

SO there is no guarantee ANYONE can give you. BUT... there is a pretty good chance that you will be clear by then. I guess you just have to really objectively look at your skin and decide if it's worth it. One or two pimples? Try the regimen. Moderate acne? That's a tough decision... and for severe I would say heck yes. Accutane is the only thing that will really clear it.

Good luck!

what else do girls do for hair removal while on accutane....ne1 else use threading?

also ONE WEEK FROM FRIDAY I START ACCUTANE I LOVE THIS WEBSITE!

ok im getting really nervous now...im reading how people get their acne back after a year on accutane...AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH please tell me it isnt so!

also...what kind of makeup did yall use while on accutane and what was your face regimen in ttoal...like wat products did u use?

hey! i'm glad to hear you are getting accutane! i'm on day 60 and i'm starting to see results! i suggest any kind of mineral make-up (i use sheercover) its very light & natural..and covers great! keep us updated! xox

My derm took accutane when she was younger and has completely flawless skin now! I think the people who have to take accutane 2 and 3 times are few and far between.. they tend to be more vocal because they are disappointed with their treatment.

I use MAC liquid concealer and studio fix powder.. .good coverage but not really thick. A lot of people want to totally cover all their acne but it can really clog the pores which I don't want! I would rather have a short but bad breakout rather than months of moderate acne. But that's just me!

As for my regimen, I wash with Dove for Sensitive skin foaming cleanser and I use Oil of Olay Complete for Sensitive Skin with SPF 15 for moisturizer. But my skin hasn't gotten super dry.. so it works just fine!

Good luck finding products you like!

thanks again for answering my ?'s but omggggggg THIS FRIDAY hopeflly my bloodwork is all good to go...i pray my skin gets bettttttttter

lvoe yalls!