Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
smart guy

Tazzzzzzzzzzzorac Journal

Yesterday I saw my mom for the first time since Easter and she said "You're skin is really looking better"

It made me happy.

But I don't believe her

Could be true, ya know. When you see yourself in the bathroom mirror every day, and you're totally focused on the flaws, you don't always see the progress. Other people view us very differently from how we view ourselves.

Lately I actually think these comments are true. When you look at yourself in the mirror you might still see the same amount of zits at the same annoying places as before the treatment. Because you check your skin very throughoughly multiple times a day in the mirror you don't see the bigger differences though and in the meanwhile your skintone improves and your acne lesions can get just a little bit more smaller giving your face a much more calmed down / healthier look. Not real science of course but it should be good to trust the people you should trust :)

Yesterday I saw my mom for the first time since Easter and she said "You're skin is really looking better"

It made me happy.

But I don't believe her

Could be true, ya know. When you see yourself in the bathroom mirror every day, and you're totally focused on the flaws, you don't always see the progress. Other people view us very differently from how we view ourselves.

Lately I actually think these comments are true. When you look at yourself in the mirror you might still see the same amount of zits at the same annoying places as before the treatment. Because you check your skin very throughoughly multiple times a day in the mirror you don't see the bigger differences though and in the meanwhile your skintone improves and your acne lesions can get just a little bit more smaller giving your face a much more calmed down / healthier look. Not real science of course but it should be good to trust the people you should trust :)

Haha I was just kidding around with that.

I definitely trust my mom when she says stuff like that.

If she didn't think my face was looking better, she would have said what she said at Easter, which was...

"So when do you go back to the dermatologist?"

A nice, motherly way of saying "Boy that acne looks like crap!"

If she didn't think my face was looking better, she would have said what she said at Easter, which was...

I actually wish my mom had been like that. She never seemed to believe that a dermatologist could actually do anything for me, so she never encouraged me to go. And because she was so convinced they couldn't help, I was convinced they couldn't. Looking at my face now, I wish I'd started educating myself about my skin so much sooner ...it would have made my high school years much more pleasant. :doh:

I actually wish my mom had been like that. She never seemed to believe that a dermatologist could actually do anything for me, so she never encouraged me to go. And because she was so convinced they couldn't help, I was convinced they couldn't. Looking at my face now, I wish I'd started educating myself about my skin so much sooner ...it would have made my high school years much more pleasant. :doh:

I know what you mean. There's nothing worse than the regret of how things would have been if Acne hadn't been such an issue in your life.

Day 37

Still have some pustule action going on...boo to that.

But I'm trying to maintain a positive attitude. No complaining and worrying about it. It's been 5 weeks, yes, but that doesn't mean it's going to disappear overnight.

Slowly but surely....

Slowly but surely...

:wall: me before

:whistle: me now

Day 38

Today my nose itched. I scratched it. Off came a little scab. The scab of the horrible dark nose bump that has been bothering me for 3 weeks!

I need some advice. The Taz is doing alright, and I'm not peeling or anything, but my face gets as shiny as a brand new nickel. What's a good way to control this?

Use a good mattyifying moisturizer that is suited for the acne skin and doesn't contain (too much/heavy) irritating acne ingredients (like AHA's, BHA's or BP etc).

Shiseido has a really good one but is also really expensive. Nivea's For Men moisturizer for oily skin is reasonably good and affordable. There are some others I can't think of right now. (the vichy normaderm is pretty good at mattifying also now I think of it, I use it myself). You can find info and treatment reviews yourself (product/treatment ratingsection at acne.org and simply drugstore.com).

If it's simply oil that's on your skin all the time the simplest and best solution is using a kleenex every few hours. Of course there are also other more cosmetic options like blotpowder tissues.

The only truly effective way I've been able to solve oiliness is by blotting. :confused: Also, loose foundation powder helps, but I don't know how you'd feel about wearing make-up (personally, I don't think it's a big deal, but some guys are pretty phobic).

The only truly effective way I've been able to solve oiliness is by blotting. :confused: Also, loose foundation powder helps, but I don't know how you'd feel about wearing make-up (personally, I don't think it's a big deal, but some guys are pretty phobic).

Yeah I'm prolly not gonna go out and get make-up anytime soon. I think I might pick up some of those oil wipes though. The little disposable ones. Thanks for the advice

Almost 6 weeks.

I definitely think I'm inching my way towards progress. Still a long way to go, but I can tell a difference in my face, and that keeps me optomistic.

Most of my pustules now get hard and fall off when I rub the Tazorac and leave big gaping holes. I keep neosporin handy so this kind of thing doesn't worry me all that much.

Still, the oily face is really getting to me!

I have a question.. can you still continually use Tazorac even after the 12 weeks of using it?

Yes, you can ... in fact, it's a good idea to keep using it as maintenance. If you're pretty clear after the 12 weeks, you can cut back to using it just 2-3x weekly and see how that goes.

Guess I haven't kept up on this log as much as I used to. It's been a few days since I updated.

Really, there's nothing to say. Pustules and new pimples are slowly becoming more and more rare.

Things are still moving slow, but I've been patient this long so I can continue to be patient.

Of course, although the growth of new pimples is slow, I still have tons and tons of red marks which I am hoping will fade in time. I'd hate for these to be scars. Sometimes pimples just leave red marks that aren't scars and go away eventually. That's what I'm hoping for, at least.

Going back to the derm in 2 weeks. I'm hoping that he will have some helpful advice on what to do about any scarring.

Kinda bums me out. I'm in the process of making this huge journey to clear skin. To get to the end and still have to deal with scars forever, that's not fun...

But maybe they aren't scars...

Almost at week 7.

Got a new pustule by my lip. Really can't complain, since its one of the few pustules I've had in the past couple days. A few new pimples around my chin.

My forehead is by far the worst at this point. Hoping that clears up soon, same with my left temple.

I'd have hoped to be clear at this point, but after reading other people's experiences on Tazorac, it seems like I'm still in the right place, going in the right direction.

I have a question.. can you still continually use Tazorac even after the 12 weeks of using it?

Yes, you can ... in fact, it's a good idea to keep using it as maintenance. If you're pretty clear after the 12 weeks, you can cut back to using it just 2-3x weekly and see how that goes.

It's actually the whole point of a topical like that, otherwise the acne will just return. They say 12 weeks because at that point you should see pretty much the best results. It could still get better in the months after that but they simply recommend using it for 12 weeks to know for sure if it works for you.

If you really hate to use it or would like to save some money you could very gradually decrease the frequency of using it. Once your clear that is, I wouldn't start before that.

Ok, it's been 7 weeks.

I've been out of town for a few days, and had a pretty crappy breakout. I had really been doing well for a few days, and I was actually starting to think that I was finally on the way to clear skin, and now, bam, broken out all over the chin again. The forehead is still looking crappy, too.

I'm thinking it might have had something to do with going out of town. I ate more fast food than I normally would, I didn't drink as much water as a usually do, and maybe the difference in water from washing my face came into play. Who knows. But after reading that post on the IB I'm guessing that my skin barrier is still pretty weak and whatever I was doing differently had a big effect because of that. Hopefully in a few days things will be on the right path again.

I also need to keep in mind that the full cycle of Tazorac is supposed to be 12 weeks, right? Not 7. Not 8. I mean, I'm barely 2/3 of the way through it. Sure my face is (usually) looking better day to day, but it's not perfect and it won't be for a little while longer.

My next derm appointment is next week. I've realized that looking at the changes in my skin on a day to day basis is really not helping. It gives me false hopes, gets me upset when I break out again. So really, the way I should see it is like this...

7 weeks ago, I started Tazorac. My skin was not very good looking.

4 weeks ago, I went back to the derm. My skin was looking a little better.

Next week, I go back to the derm. My skin is looking better than last time.

Tazorac takes time. How often can it be said. But it's going to be a gradual improvement, regardless. I'm not going to wake up at week 9 with clear skin. If all goes well, by week 12, I'll have that clear skin I've become obsessed with in a most unhealthy way, but it's not overnight success. Damn, shouldn't I know that by now :)

Also, I've really been doing a lot of thinking about moisturizer. Especially with how oily my face gets now, and especially after the post about the IB saying how important it is to moisturize. I'm going to hold off a few more days on it until I talk with my derm. He's got me paranoid about putting stuff other than Taz on my face. My face has had some bad reactions to a lot of different things, and I want his opinion on what to use before I start applying anything. I've got my oil blotting sheets, and although I go throuh about 17 a day, that should hold me over for a week...

How are the other Tazorac users out there doing? I know Precious was in the same place as me a few weeks ago. You still out there Precious? How's it going?

Oh, and that part in the post about the IB saying that "worst case scenario, you go through 15 months of pimples in 3 months," is really encouraging, LionQueen. It has become my daily mantra!

Here's another mantra for you, hun. Progress with retinoids is not linear. Over time, however, you do indeed see progress.

You have such a great attitude ... hang in there ... I hope the next few weeks bring you some dramatic improvements!

Here's another mantra for you, hun. Progress with retinoids is not linear. Over time, however, you do indeed see progress.

You have such a great attitude ... hang in there ... I hope the next few weeks bring you some dramatic improvements!

That's a good mantra too. I was using "relapse is a part of recovery" but that just makes me seem like a drug addict :)

Hangin' in there. Like LQ said, progress on retinoids is not linear. And boy oh boy, have I been saying that to myself a lot lately...

The breakout from a couple days ago is doing pretty well. Not a lot of anything new. So hey, that's better than a breakout, right?

I had a pustule brewing on my forehead (not gonna complain though, because aside from my breakout a few days ago, I had been at an all time low when it came to pustules) and I did everything I could to not pop it. I've really been good about not popping anymore, and the fact that there's usually less on my face to pop only helps. Anyway, I was changing after work and OF COURSE! Sploosh. There it went. I know, that's sick and you didn't want to know. And using the word "sploosh" only makes it grosser. So now its a dark red scabby bump. No fear, I had the Neosporin out in no time...

It's been probably over a week since I had a pustule so bad that I needed to pop it. I've still had plenty of problems on my skin, but as for giant pustules, they were becoming less and less. Definitely a good thing, I'd say.

Well, I've had a spot brewing under my nose for a while. I hoped it wouldn't come to this but...sure enough, took a look at it today. Huge white pustule. I had no choice! It was actually PAINFUL! So I went ahead and popped it. I tried to do it the correct way but we'll see. I put the end of a pin in a flame to sterilze it then tried to squeeze it out with pieces of toilet paper. Well, the toilet paper was making it hard to see the actual zit so then I just used my fingers. It bled some, but just at first, then it just leaked clear stuff. Which I guess is a sign that I popped it in a smart way...

Anyway, I'll neosporin that for a while. Sucks because the zit is still noticable, but at least it doesn't hurt as bad...

Ever notice that a huge scabby red spot where you popped something is always more socially acceptable than a pustule? Even though most people agree that popping zits is not always a good idea.

It's been probably over a week since I had a pustule so bad that I needed to pop it. I've still had plenty of problems on my skin, but as for giant pustules, they were becoming less and less. Definitely a good thing, I'd say.

Well, I've had a spot brewing under my nose for a while. I hoped it wouldn't come to this but...sure enough, took a look at it today. Huge white pustule. I had no choice! It was actually PAINFUL! So I went ahead and popped it. I tried to do it the correct way but we'll see. I put the end of a pin in a flame to sterilze it then tried to squeeze it out with pieces of toilet paper. Well, the toilet paper was making it hard to see the actual zit so then I just used my fingers. It bled some, but just at first, then it just leaked clear stuff. Which I guess is a sign that I popped it in a smart way...

Anyway, I'll neosporin that for a while. Sucks because the zit is still noticable, but at least it doesn't hurt as bad...

Ever notice that a huge scabby red spot where you popped something is always more socially acceptable than a pustule? Even though most people agree that popping zits is not always a good idea.

Glad to see that taz is working for you gl with it im also useing it the funny thing is i never got a bad break out from day 1 i know it was going to work bad thing is my acne is not all gone but its like very close the reasen i think i didnt get a break out is because the first time i used it i got break out but at that time i didnt know getting a break out was good so i stoped worst thing i ever did i tryed bp for a bit didnt really do any thing so i said im going to put taz on every night it has worked great since i wish i would of started useing it months befor if you have any ? about it just pm me if you want me to ill update how im doing weekly up to u but good luck with taz.

Ever notice that a huge scabby red spot where you popped something is always more socially acceptable than a pustule?

Ain't that the truth.

oily oily OILY!!!

Ughhh the most fruststrating aspect of summer is upon me.

Whenever it's even just a LITTLE too hot out, my face gets so shiny it's ridiculous.

I posted a topic a few days ago about what's good to control an oily face. Sad to say, my face is still horribly oily. The worst part is, my skin is FAR from clear, and the oiliness just makes it look worse.

I got those oil blotting wipes. I don't know if I got a bad kind and if other brands work better, but these aren't that great for me. I think I go through about 6 in one blotting session, and normally my face is still shining. I need something more. These aren't doing the trick.

Some people have told me to get a matte moisturizer. That's what I'm going to try next. Something with SPF, since it's getting sunny too. But since I'm going to the derm Thursday, I might as well wait and talk to him and see what he recommends. No sense buying 35 dollar moisturizer if he can give me a couple free sample tubes. (My derm is AWESOME with sample tubes. 8 weeks on Tazorac and I just took my prescription in yesterday :D ) I've been trying too hard for too long now. If I'm going to add something new to my regimen, I want to consult my derm first.

oily oily OILY!!!

Whenever it's even just a LITTLE too hot out, my face gets so shiny it's ridiculous.

I posted a topic a few days ago about what's good to control an oily face. Sad to say, my face is still horribly oily. The worst part is, my skin is FAR from clear, and the oiliness just makes it look worse.

I got those oil blotting wipes. I don't know if I got a bad kind and if other brands work better, but these aren't that great for me. I think I go through about 6 in one blotting session, and normally my face is still shining. I need something more. These aren't doing the trick.

Some people have told me to get a matte moisturizer. That's what I'm going to try next. Something with SPF, since it's getting sunny too. But since I'm going to the derm Thursday, I might as well wait and talk to him and see what he recommends. No sense buying 35 dollar moisturizer if he can give me a couple free sample tubes. (My derm is AWESOME with sample tubes. 8 weeks on Tazorac and I just took my prescription in yesterday :D ) I've been trying too hard for too long now. If I'm going to add something new to my regimen, I want to consult my derm first.

WHat post was it that referred to stopping oily skin?? A few things I use that take the edge off a bit are cornslik powder...blot on eyelids, nose, cheeks, forehead. (its translucent if you are a guy you cant see it). Smashbox anti-shine mattying serum works well for me. It addition to blotting a ton, I also use the clinapledges to wipe my face, because they are soaked in alcohol. I am trying neutrgeno t sal shampoo on my hair to see how in controls the greeseys. blech.

I am curious to see what that biore anti-shine mosturizer is about.....

Hope I helped :) We will win this battle !

oily oily OILY!!!

WHat post was it that referred to stopping oily skin?? A few things I use that take the edge off a bit are cornslik powder...blot on eyelids, nose, cheeks, forehead. (its translucent if you are a guy you cant see it). Smashbox anti-shine mattying serum works well for me. It addition to blotting a ton, I also use the clinapledges to wipe my face, because they are soaked in alcohol. I am trying neutrgeno t sal shampoo on my hair to see how in controls the greeseys. blech.

I am curious to see what that biore anti-shine mosturizer is about.....

Hope I helped :) We will win this battle !

Thanks for the info! I'll definitely bring it up with my derm and see what he suggests.

The name of the thread is called "Help with my oily face!" and LionQueen recommended a matte moisturizer by DDF. It's kind of expensive but it seems worth a try. You can find it at Sephora or on the Sephora website. She put a link in the post so check that out.

When I was on ProActiv I had the bundle that came with an oil control cream. It worked really, really well. I wish I could just buy that.

When I was on ProActiv I had the bundle that came with an oil control cream. It worked really, really well. I wish I could just buy that.

Can't you?

I bet it's on eBay!