Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
smart guy

Tazzzzzzzzzzzorac Journal

I'm on my fourth day of my newest regimen. Having gone through several regimens already, including doryx, nicomide, duac, differin, elidel, brevoxyl wash, clindamycin, retin-a, and prascion cleanser (not all at the same time, mind you) I can't say I'm not just a little skeptical this time around. It really doesn't feel like I've had any improvement since my breakouts got bad in October. In fact, for a while they were definitely getting worse. My mild acne turned to the heavy side of moderate and I've found myself becoming shy, timid, embarrassed, and antisocial. Things that I have never been before.

So my newest regimen is 2 nicomide tablets a day, 1 tablet of Zithromax every other day, and Tazorac every other night. I am only to leave the tazorac on for about 10 minutes then wash it off. Apparently it's strong. Good! I need strong. I had 3 laser treatments before this, and the derm decided that it was having absolutely no effect. I figured Accutane was the only thing left to try. Guess not. Every time I think we've tried everything, the doc prescribes me something new. I don't want to have to resort to Accutane, since my skin is only moderate at its worst, but its pretty stubborn. What's really going to aggrivate me is if tazorac doesn't work and I end up going on Accutane...well then I could have skipped all the crap we've tried and started Accutane in October! I'd be clear by now!

Aghhhh...positive thoughts...

Tazorac apparently works the same way accutane does. It pushes all that crap from way down under the skin to the surface. Because of this, breaking out is likely, but it is a sign that the treatment is working. While I'm not exactly about to blow up some balloons and have a party to celebrate new pimples, if these pimples are forming because the Tazorac is working, then I don't mind. Come on out zits. It's a going away party and everyone is invited!

So anyway, I'm on day 4. Which means I've applied the Tazorac twice and taken two zithromax pills. I'm definitely not immune to the preliminary breakout, that's for sure. My forehead and nose, which have never been problems before, have started to break out. I'm hoping that this is because of that tazorac, since I normally get a lot of pustules and these are different. Also, I've had a nice size red bump underneath my lip for a while which is finally starting to shrink down in size, but also come to a head. I expect it will be a pustule by tomorrow. I'm wondering if maybe the laser treatments helped kill some of the bacteria, so my initial breakout won't be as bad. Cross your fingers.

The combo of zithromax and nicomide seems to be doing a pretty good job keeping the redness down. For that I am glad, so from far away my acne isn't as noticable.

A little bit of peeling started on my chin. Another sign the Tazorac must be doing something.

I'm trying to be optomistic here. I apply the tazorac again tonight. It's a taz night, as I like to call it.

Day 6

Definitely one of those days where I wish I didn't have class. Don't feel like being looked at today :(

All I can say is it seems that the Tazorac is DEFINITELY bringing all the crud to the surface. The bump underneath my lip seemed to rocket out. Today is was a pustule with kind of a dark almost black tip. Anyone know what that is? I have two other pustules that are kind of dark on the end. I've never seen that before.

If I didn't have to go in public so much this week, I'd honestly be celebrating these zits. It's kinda like "Yeahhhh! Medication is working! See ya suckers! Get the hell out of here!" But seeing as how I do have a social life, I'm definitely not by any means happy to walk around with my face broken out.

Peeling has started but it is very very minor. I haven't needed moisturizer yet which is good because my derm didn't really tell me what moisturizer to use. Any suggestions?

My skin hasn't been red or irritated, but the acne is very itchy from time to time. I try my best not to scratch it though.

And that's where I'm at today. If anyone knows the answers to my questions I'd certainly appreciate it.

its ok we all breakout once in a while

i recommend Cetaphil's Moisturizer SPF 15 or Neutrogena Anti Wrinkle Non comdenic SPF 15 Moisturizer for MEN or neutrogena healthy skin spf 15

i really like you being optimistic hard to find people like that these days but i have one thing to say WOOT KEEP GOING YOU CAN DO IT! (hopefully youll wish me the same lol)

its ok we all breakout once in a while

i recommend Cetaphil's Moisturizer SPF 15 or Neutrogena Anti Wrinkle Non comdenic SPF 15 Moisturizer for MEN or neutrogena healthy skin spf 15

i really like you being optimistic hard to find people like that these days but i have one thing to say WOOT KEEP GOING YOU CAN DO IT! (hopefully youll wish me the same lol)

Thanks a lot! I'm rooting for you too!

Breakout is getting better slowly already. The pustules dry up and form dark scabs even if I don't touch them or pop them. Kind of weird, but eventually the scabs fall off and leave the skin a little pink but not really a scar or mark.

Forehead still needs improvement.

Drying a little bit out of the shower but nothing bad. Still don't need a moisturizer.

Yesterday evening I felt a new pimple coming in between my chin and lip. I HATE those ones cause they are the most annoying and painful ones to me. By midnight last night it had already reached the surface, by this morning it at somewhat ruptured and lefts some crusties around it. After a shower its not nearly as noticable.

Going home for the weekend. This is good because weekends are when I go out and have the most stress about my acne. Now I have a whole week extra for the Tazorac to keep doing its thing before I have to stress about going out again.

Overall I'm satisfied with the progress, but that doesn't mean I'm satisfied with how my skin is right now.

Day 7

OK it's been a week since I've been on Tazorac.

Initial breakout is still in progress. It does not make me happy. I guess I kind of hoped that the pimples would come and go and by now I'd be frolicking about with healthy clear skin.

Well. It's only been a week. So although I didn't get my acne miracle, I'm progessing alright.

Huge pink bump in between my eyes. Sucks.

Cheeks still bumpy. Sucks

Place where I broke out around my mouth clearing up slowly. Doesn't suck.

I got a second pimple right between my chin and my lip again. It wasn't that big but it really really hurt when I opened my mouth too wide. I decided to pop it after a lot of deliberation and HOLY COW there was a lot of pus in it. Like...a lot. Don't know where it was all hiding.

So the fact is, I was more happy with my face a few days ago than I am now. The breakout still sucks. But I guess there are signs of progress. Fingers crossed

No new pustules today. I guess that's good. Still a lot of pink bumps.

I wish my face looked like it does when I first wake up in the morning all day. It will soon, I hope!

I miss shaving being easy. I miss shaving and not having to worry about going over pimples.

Today just sucks. In fact, the past couple days have sucked I've just tried to be positive. I have had a HUGE pink bump on the top of my nose between my eyes for almost a week now. And it came to 3, yes 3, heads. I tried to pop the middle which was the biggest. Didn't do much but bleed and let out a little pus. My chin is breaking out again and that was my problem area from before the medication. It started to clear up but now BAM it's all back.

My cheeks are alright I suppose except for the HUGE zit on my left cheek. I should have popped it yesterday when I had the chance, I tried today but nothing came out now it's just a big bump which will most likely be a scab that takes forever to go away. I just want to hide in my room all day. I'm already dreading classes tomorrow.

Hi Smart Guy,

Just wanted to let you know that I am watching your progress. I've been on Accutane twice and don't want to go back for a 3rd time. I'm interested to see how the Tazorac works out for you. Keep us posted and good luck!

Haha, well it really depends on the mood you catch me in whether or not my skin is getting better, getting worse, or getting worse before getting better, or what.

I know Tazorac is supposed to take some time while it pushes all the stuff to the surface (I wish it didn't take so long!) but the Derm scheduled me for a return visit after 3 weeks of Tazorac. Hopefully by then there will be some improvement in some way. Even something small. I think they just want to check up on me. At this point, 2 days without a new pustule is a reason for celebration :razz:

My post earlier I was definitely down in the dumps. Trying to keep a positive attitude and all, but sometimes it's just so hard to be positive when your face is so broken out.

-Just applied the Tazorac again. I'm supposed to do it every other night. I've read about the peeling but really not had much of a problem with it. Well, while applying the Tazorac, skin was peeling off my face left and right! It was kind of gross. But hey, if it's supposed to do that, peel away.

Day 11

I woke up with like 5 little pustules on my chin. Yes. 5! They're small, and as long as no one walks up and intently studies my face the same way I do in the morning, I should make it through the day alright. The big bump on my left cheek and the one between my eyes haven't gotten much better, unfortunately.

On the plus side, my forehead is starting to clear up. So that's good.

Gonna try to keep a better attitude about this from now on. Stressing about acne is only gonna make it worse.

-Just applied the Tazorac again. I'm supposed to do it every other night. I've read about the peeling but really not had much of a problem with it. Well, while applying the Tazorac, skin was peeling off my face left and right! It was kind of gross. But hey, if it's supposed to do that, peel away.

I'm actually on Tazorac right now. I'm supposed to apply it on my face every night right before bed. Yeah... in the last few days I've definitely had some peeling when I applied it on. It was pretty gross. Like I'd roll my finger across my face and I'd get all this excess crap. I woke up today with some peeling on my chin and nose but I guess that's ok. I use Cetaphil Moisturizer and it works pretty well. Oh and I'm also breaking out in places I usually don't break out in. Just wanted to let you know I'm experiencing the same thing and GOOD LUCK!

I'm actually on Tazorac right now. I'm supposed to apply it on my face every night right before bed. Yeah... in the last few days I've definitely had some peeling when I applied it on. It was pretty gross. Like I'd roll my finger across my face and I'd get all this excess crap. I woke up today with some peeling on my chin and nose but I guess that's ok. I use Cetaphil Moisturizer and it works pretty well. Oh and I'm also breaking out in places I usually don't break out in. Just wanted to let you know I'm experiencing the same thing and GOOD LUCK!

Good to know someone is going through the same thing! Do you keep the Tazorac on? I'm supposed to wash it off after ten minutes, which is probably why my peeling isn't so bad. While I don't like breaking out (who the hell DOES?) it's not so bad when I'm breaking out in new places because I guess it shows that its working. Every time I breakout somewhere I think that maybe, just maybe, that's the last time I'll get a pimple there :pray:

Good luck to you too!

I'm not sure...Day 13?

Same old, same old.

If I were to take a before picture, and a picture of my face now, there really wouldn't be any difference. Still breaking out in the same places, mostly lower jaw below my mouth. I'm guessing since that's been such a problem area even before the Tazorac that it will take the longest to clear up. Who knows. It's barely been two weeks, so I can't complain.

My left cheek is actually pretty darn clear aside from the HUUUUGE zit that just won't go away. Right cheek not as clear.

Forehead is doing a little better.

The bump between my eyes is still there. Not going anywhere. I might as well name it at this point.

What's most obnoxious about my acne is that I'd say 90% of everything that appears on my face becomes a pustule. Blackheads have never been a problem. I don't even know what a papule is, but if I get one chances are it becomes a pustule. And then I have to fight with myself every morning over what I should pop and what I should deal with. I love Sundays because I have no class and don't go out so I can just sit in my room and not worry about any of that!

The derm wanted to see me after 3 weeks of Tazorac. It was originally two weeks (which would be the day after tomorrow) but he said he wanted to make it 3 to give the Tazorac time to "kick the acne's butt" His words, not mine. I don't see any butt kicking going on...yet ;) I just hope he doesn't take me off it if there hasn't been progress since I know it's supposed to take longer than 3 weeks. Then again, he's the professional.

That's the one good thing about my derm. They keep me coming back often to check on my progress. I don't have to go a long time counting down the days to go back.

Since I am supposed to do Tazorac every other night, this is one of those nights. The skin is really starting to peel off, but only when I'm rubbing on the gel. Any other time or day it's absolutely fine.

So I got my thoughts on my acne out of the way for the day. Now time to concentrate on other things and try my best not to obsess.

I'm on Tazorac, too, but in the cream form. I'm on it for maintenance purposes post-accutane. My doctor, who is sort of aggressive when it comes to acne, told me I needed to use it every night and leave it on the entire time the very day my accutane course ended.

At first, this was obviously too much, because about day 3 or 4, I couldn't even speak, my face was SOOOO dry. So, I cut back to every third night, then every second, and now I use it every night, all night long. I still get dry flaky patches, but at least now I can eat and emote like a normal person!

Keep hanging in there! It can take at least six to 12 weeks before you see serious progress, and hopefully you will. I didn't end up having an IB on Taz (since I came off 'tane right before), but it seems to be doing the trick so far in keeping me clear. I only hope it lasts.

Good luck!

I'm on Tazorac, too, but in the cream form. I'm on it for maintenance purposes post-accutane. My doctor, who is sort of aggressive when it comes to acne, told me I needed to use it every night and leave it on the entire time the very day my accutane course ended.

At first, this was obviously too much, because about day 3 or 4, I couldn't even speak, my face was SOOOO dry. So, I cut back to every third night, then every second, and now I use it every night, all night long. I still get dry flaky patches, but at least now I can eat and emote like a normal person!

Keep hanging in there! It can take at least six to 12 weeks before you see serious progress, and hopefully you will. I didn't end up having an IB on Taz (since I came off 'tane right before), but it seems to be doing the trick so far in keeping me clear. I only hope it lasts.

Good luck!

Sometimes I think my doctor isn't aggressive enough. I think my face could take putting it on every day since I wash it off after 10 minutes. But then again who knows. I'll listen to the professional.

Tomorrow marks two weeks on Tazorac. Since progress is supposed to start showing after about 4, this may very well be my halfway point. I guess we shall see.

Not much news today. No new pustules is always nice. Only since there are no pustules for me to concentrate on and obsess over, I've noticed that there are still a lot of pink bumps, especially around my chin. The cheeks are ok, I guess. Forehead isn't bad but isn't good. Pink bump between the eyes...STILLLL THERE.

So yeah. That's about it. It's not a bad day.

I anxiously await the time when "not a bad day" means mostly clear skin

TWO WEEKS

It's been over a weak and the bump between my eyes (I named it Gary since it's practically family now) is FINALLY starting to fade and go away. Bump on my left cheek is also slowly going away.

Forehead is the same. No new breakouts there though.

New pustule on the side of my nose.

THREE, yes THREE pustules on my chin. I don't want to pop them because I know it can easily spread, but they are so big and yellow that I really need to because I have a lot of stuff I need to go out and do today and I don't need people staring at them. One is even kinda painful...

I think I'm going to start putting some BP on the pimples that I absolutely HAVE to pop. Maybe they should help? It's the Neutrogena On The Spot Treatment.

That's about it. Can't wait to go back to the derm in about a week. Maybe he'll give me something to go with the Tazorac. A face wash or something.

Good luck with the Taz!

Did you see tallnsweet's log? Her skin looks great now ...

Thanks for the support, and yes I did! Crossing my fingers...

Day 16

Last night I applied the Tazorac and accidently pulled off a few of the scabs that has formed from pimples before. Mostly scabs that were already a couples days old and ready to fall off anyway, but of course now I'm paranoid about scarring, haha. Nothing bled, just kind of left little pink marks but those typically go away for me eventually anyhow. I have a pretty good derm so I'm just keeping my focus on getting rid of the acne. He'll help me out with scarring after that.

Not a lot going on today, which is cool. Not even a new pustule really. The bump between my eyes is starting to come to a head AGAIN. Still a lot of pink bumps though. Normally on a day like today I would think that maybe the initial breakout is over, but I'm a little more skeptical now and pretty much figuring that tomorrow will be a few more pustules. But getting new pustules every other day instead of every day, that's progress, isn't it?

Ughhh now I can't stop worrying about where the scabs came off! But really, if hey came off from a gentle rub it shouldn't be too bad.

Same old, same old. The pink bump between the eyes is now darker and starting to form a scab thingy. Good. Can't wait for it to fall off!

A few new pustules, nothing huge and gross and noticable though.

One new pink bump coming in above my lip. It'll be a pustule by tonight I gaurantee it.

I use the Neutrogena On The Spot Acne Treatment for spot treatment once a day. Don't know if it will have any adverse effects, but so far it hasn't cause any problems. Aside from making the blemishes I put it on EXTREMELY itchy.

I still don't like how my face is, but I do see minor improvements, and hopefully major improvements will be coming along eventually.

I'm still skeptical as to if Tazorac will do the trick for me, especially since I've had no luck with Differin, Duac, a bunch of other topicals, and even laser treatment. But then again, I am MUCH more satisfied with my current regimen than I have been with anything else the doctors gave me. Especially Differin. I refer to my Differin days as "The Dark Ages"

I'm still skeptical as to if Tazorac will do the trick for me, especially since I've had no luck with Differin, Duac, a bunch of other topicals, and even laser treatment. But then again, I am MUCH more satisfied with my current regimen than I have been with anything else the doctors gave me. Especially Differin. I refer to my Differin days as "The Dark Ages"

I think it will work for you ... Taz is strong stuff, much stronger than Differin. Also you are only using a very limited application so far ... as your skin adjusts you will be able to leave it on longer and apply it every night. Then you will REALLY see some progress!

Patience is key with the topicals ... just hang in there and keep spot treating, you are doing great.

Day 18 (is that right?)

Same old same old. Feeling in a rut. Not getting much better, not getting much worse.

I'm more or less down to a more mild form of moderate, so I can't be too hard on myself.

Back to the derm in four days. Maybe he'll have me start applying more often. We'll see.

I'm not giving up though!

Day 19

Patience, Patience, Patience.

Yeah. I get it.

Whatever.

Patience isn't always easy though.

Like when you've got a huge bump next to your lip that hurts when you open your mouth and appears to be coming to THREE heads. And it will probably last as long as the bump between the eyes which is STILL THERE.

Or when you decide you just can't shave because you've already stressed too much about your face and you don't want to spend the whole day worrying about a zit you accidently shaved over. (And it's already been 4 days since you've shaved and you're starting to look like you really need it)

On the plus side, two zits tht i had turned really hard and fell off in the shower, leaving nice big empty pores. Although you can see them from space, at least I know that I have two empty pores right now.

I guess I'll make this a "stay 5 feet away from anybody" day and I'll get through just fine.

Might stop the Neutrogena On The Spot Treatment, the places I put it itch and burn allllll day. What's the deal with that? Should I keep applying it or stick with just the Tazorac?

Might stop the Neutrogena On The Spot Treatment, the places I put it itch and burn allllll day. What's the deal with that? Should I keep applying it or stick with just the Tazorac?

What's in it? I'm guessing SA, BP or sulfur ... or some combination of those ...

IMO, itching and burning is a bad thing ... unless it's REALLY helping with the spots, in which case it might be worth it ... only you can make that call.

Since you are seeing your derm this week, get his opinion on spot treatments. Taz is so strong and so irritating, it may be hard to find something compatible. One possibility might be a clay-based mask -- you wouldn't want to use it all over your face (too drying with the Taz) but you can put little blobs over the spots and leave them there as long as possible, even overnight ... the clay helps draw the nasty stuff to the surface and dry out the spot.