Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cameron

Fraxel & Ice Pick Scars

These pictures show that fraxel makes a mess of your ice pick scars, at least in the short term.

The picture on the left was taken March 7 and the one on the right, today, April 10. I've had 3 fraxels so far (3/9, 3/17, and 3/24).

IPB ImageIPB Image

The 30 setting was only used on a few deeper scars, not anywhere on my right cheek, which is shown here. The last treatment was done at 20, and that's the highest setting that has been used on my whole face.

where are u getting it done.. and I wouldn't even mess with those scars.. They look like enlarged pores and some scarred ones, but they are super minor..

Is it because you have done three high setting treatments within a short span of time and your skin is still recovering ?

Personally for me, even at low settings like 10 or 12, I get swollen and red quite a bit and it takes almost 2.5 weeks to fully recover from the treatment and red/brownness to subside. During recovery, my scars and pores do look sharper and worse. But that always changes after 2.5 weeks or sometimes just before I go for next treatment.

I do treatment every 3 weeks. Last one, I did at setting 15 and my doctor has told me to wait for atleast 4 weeks before scheduling the next one.

What did you doctor say ? Maybe, if you give rest to your skin for some time, it might recover and get better ? I hope, it gets better.

Something tells me it's not going to change dramatically in the next .5 weeks. I'm seeing Dr. Alexis Parker here in Denver. I'm going to show these pictures to her when I go in on Wednesday for my 4th. I'm hoping that turning the ice picks into saucers is just the first stage and that they will fill in somehow later. I just wanted to illustrate that fraxel isn't closing or shrinking my ice picks; instead, it's taking this other route. surfer, you may be right that I shouldn't be messing with these in the first place.

Sometimes, I think the boxcar scars, which are farther back on my cheeks, are improving, but I can't see any improvement in my before and after pics. It's hard to measure it in the pics though because pictures of the side of my cheeks don't show the boxcar scars well. They're shallow, so they only cast shadows from the front.

hey those scars arn't bad...what are you doin man! looks like your getting fat loss, thus your pores are showing up more.

Is this similar to other lasers? I've heard of fat loss with lots of lasers

Fat loss induces enlarged pores? This is new to me. I thought pretty much enlarged pores were from resurfacing and microswelling, not anything underneath the skin surface such as fat loss. Are you making this up jayjay? If not please provide some links cause I seriously doubt the two are related.

It's funny because I've gotten 6 tca crosses for ice pick scars and the doctor is now recommending fraxel. I think I might be better off getting more tca crosses if fraxel will make it worse. What do you all think?

I would agree to continue CROSS as fraxel doesn't do much good for icepicks. However once the icepicks become so level that they are minor uneven areas with the skin fraxel might work to further smooth things out.

Fat loss induces enlarged pores? This is new to me. I thought pretty much enlarged pores were from resurfacing and microswelling, not anything underneath the skin surface such as fat loss. Are you making this up jayjay? If not please provide some links cause I seriously doubt the two are related.

That pore size and fat loss comment i will look more into it and hopefully find something on it for ya. But i have seen a few patients complaining of fat loss after laser type procedures on various plastic surgery message boards.

I hear you on the fat loss from lasers jayjay. I too have heard numerous cases of this but it seems like the primary one is thermage. Let us know if you hear anything about fraxel.

I hear you on the fat loss from lasers jayjay. I too have heard numerous cases of this but it seems like the primary one is thermage. Let us know if you hear anything about fraxel.

Really? I wish they would make this more public about that. I mean whats the point of having tighter scarless skin if you age like 10 years from all the fat loss?

In terms of thermage isn't that radio waves or something not laser? I heard SO many for thermage...some people came out looking deformed it was so bad.

jayjay you are right about thermage being radio frequency and not laser and that might be exactly why it causes the fat loss. Fat loss more shows it self as sunken areas of the face and not pores though.

jayjay you are right about thermage being radio frequency and not laser and that might be exactly why it causes the fat loss.

Hmm...true it would probably show up as dents or contour irregularities. But i bet theres still some sort of correlation between the two.

But back to the lasers, i still had a few saying co 2 laser and some other ones (i'm not an expert on the names) got some fatloss too. Altho nothing as drastic as thermage.

Still because fraxel and thermage are not the same i wouldn't think fraxel could do anything like what thermage could do...

I have similar scarring, large pores and ice picks although deeper and bigger..

BTW, is it me or does it look like there are MORE pores visible in the 2nd picture? Seriously...

look closer to the nose, and higher than that... maybe it's the lighting but I noticed the exact same thing happening to me and i had 4 fraxels.. pores appear bigger and more exposed.. skin layeds ust got filed down and the openings to the pores are wider now... icepicks are still there..

i take it u have oily skin.. much like myself..

ThisSucks, I do have oily skin. Those ice picks are all because of blackheads that were/are there because of the oil. In both these pictures though, I wiped the excess oil off so that in neither picture, the pores would be dilated from oil (so they are comparable).

I originally told my derm that I only wanted the boxcars done because I noticed other people complaining about their ice picks after fraxel, but she said she only does the whole face, and told me even my pores would improve. Sounds like a typical derm, doesn't it?

I hope I don't add to the confusion in this thread, but I wanted to reply.

Subcutaneous fat is located in the lower part of the dermis, probably around 1.5 to 2 millimeters below the surface of your skin over most of your face (except the eyelids, where the epidermis and dermis are much thinner). In order for a laser to destroy fat cells, it would have to penetrate pretty deeply. Thermage uses radio waves, which have a long enough wavelength that they can penetrate into the dermis.

Fraxel and other lasers might effect fat cells if the doctor was too aggressive with the settings or the number of passes.

I've read that the collagen shrinking effect of lasers is what causes your pores to become enlarged. The skin is being stretched by as much as 30%. This increased tension pulls the wall of the pore outward. I'm not sure if I completely accept this theory, though.

I hope I don't add to the confusion in this thread, but I wanted to reply.

Subcutaneous fat is located in the lower part of the dermis, probably around 1.5 to 2 millimeters below the surface of your skin over most of your face (except the eyelids, where the epidermis and dermis are much thinner). In order for a laser to destroy fat cells, it would have to penetrate pretty deeply. Thermage uses radio waves, which have a long enough wavelength that they can penetrate into the dermis.

Fraxel and other lasers might effect fat cells if the doctor was too aggressive with the settings or the number of passes.

I've read that the collagen shrinking effect of lasers is what causes your pores to become enlarged. The skin is being stretched by as much as 30%. This increased tension pulls the wall of the pore outward. I'm not sure if I completely accept this theory, though.

hmmm that would make sense....so in effect by having lasers are you saying your skin is becomming thinner? I always thought lasers thicken the skin??

Aramis laser screwed my skin badly, its not that far from the fraxel, pretty close wavelength, the doctors are clueless. I went in there and he recommended the Aramis rather then doing accutane, He told me 3 treatments and I will never have to worry about acne again, to me it was such a great deal, insurance was covering it and had nothing to lose. He told me it will even clear that one icepick I had. Well not only didnt do anything to my icepick, it enlarged my pores, my skin sagged, I lost my glow that I had when I was acne free, my skin was thinner, I looked like I was dying, I was also left with a several new scars. the skin fell off on several areas on my forehead, I dont mean peel, no you can see the flesh, I had to tape it till it healed, you can now see the outline of the scar, with no indents. He zapped acne lesions and those scarred the most, including a rolling scar that I cant even look at on my forehead. Someone in a post above mentioned whats the point to have fraxel done, if your scarless with an aged skin. Well that is too much credit, I think you will just damage your skin, dont know about the scarless part. I havent been keeping up with the forum and maybe people are reporting good results from fraxel. I think lasers are a scam, if you do decide to get them try to limit the procedure to your scars and dont mess with your good skin. so if you have 4 icepicks dont be shy to ask to treat just the four icepicks and leave your good skin alone. Iam in the process of suing this clinic.

Aramis laser screwed my skin badly, its not that far from the fraxel, pretty close wavelength, the doctors are clueless. I went in there and he recommended the Aramis rather then doing accutane, He told me 3 treatments and I will never have to worry about acne again, to me it was such a great deal, insurance was covering it and had nothing to lose. He told me it will even clear that one icepick I had. Well not only didnt do anything to my icepick, it enlarged my pores, my skin sagged, I lost my glow that I had when I was acne free, my skin was thinner, I looked like I was dying, I was also left with a several new scars. the skin fell off on several areas on my forehead, I dont mean peel, no you can see the flesh, I had to tape it till it healed, you can now see the outline of the scar, with no indents. He zapped acne lesions and those scarred the most, including a rolling scar that I cant even look at on my forehead. Someone in a post above mentioned whats the point to have fraxel done, if your scarless with an aged skin. Well that is too much credit, I think you will just damage your skin, dont know about the scarless part. I havent been keeping up with the forum and maybe people are reporting good results from fraxel. I think lasers are a scam, if you do decide to get them try to limit the procedure to your scars and dont mess with your good skin. so if you have 4 icepicks dont be shy to ask to treat just the four icepicks and leave your good skin alone. Iam in the process of suing this clinic.

^so sorry to hear that s500...hope your legal avenues work out for yas tho.

I always thought in the back of my head lasers are essentially burning your skin? so that cant be good in the long run.

I think Dr Pickart posted something ages ago saying lasers damage the follicular hairs that stimulate stem cell reproduction and thus skin healing. So lasered skin in the longterm isn't it the best shape -- like when you tan or get damaged n stuff.

hey

does fraxel lessen oil production?

I don't think so. Your skin is dry and soaks up oil within the first week or two, but then it all goes back to normal. BTW, we should keep questions like this in the general fraxel thread (or in a new one).

hey

does fraxel lessen oil production?

I don't think so. Your skin is dry and soaks up oil within the first week or two, but then it all goes back to normal. BTW, we should keep questions like this in the general fraxel thread (or in a new one).

If you are doing it 1-2 weeks apart that's too short a period... They should allow your skin to heal into a better shape before doing it again.. My third treatment was like 3 months from the first.... Anyway you will only notice difference 3 weeks after your procedure... that's what happened to me... have a little faith... first two weeks usually look the same or worse... After the three weeks you'll notice the edge of scar become smoother.... which lights diffused better in your scars.... which makes it pretty blend...

Fat loss due to aging can make pores appear larger because there is less fat underneath to plump up the upper layer of the skin. I've read it in Dr. Denese's book on anti-aging and other places as well. Also loss of collagen and elastin with aging makes pores appear larger because there is nothing to pull the edges of the pores in anymore. This is exactly what's been happening to me since I hit my thirties. Besides Fraxel laser, I'm considering fat injections to plump up my skin. It stinks!!!