Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
~Bobbi~

Bobbi's log getting clear with the retinols

Ok for starters I am starting a new log today. I have had one in the clear skin regimen logs for a while but, as I'm not on the regimen I figured it was time to move. If you are so inclined, the link to it is in my sig and you can check it out.

I am a bad bad girl. :naughty: My face looks pretty crappy today. All my fault because I couldn't just leave it alone. I had to try and get a bunch of crap out that probably wasn't ready. Actually I did get a bunch of stuff out but now my face is all red and scaby, you know the carnage that comes from picking.

I have had three actual zits in the last days, so not too bad.

The skin under my eyes is going through a round of peeling, which is odd because I haven't peeled there for a while.

All things considered my skin does not look as bad as it should. I love GC and Retin A. :wub:

Hi Amber :D

Pam- out of sight out of mind right? :)

Good news is my face is almost completely recovered from my picking rampage, bad news is it's a skin falling off day. I have been peeling skin all day long. I don't even know why I bother to put makeup on at this point. There is no way there is any left on my skin.

As usual a few little whiteheads or more accurately comedones pushing their way up. Face is still an oil slick. I have several oil control things at home but with my skin falling off the way it is I don't suppose it would be wise to use them. So I'm just dealing with it.

I must have gotten some Retin A under my eyes because the are red and crispy looking, ouch.

I HAVE to be clear by May 16th. :pray: I just got my tickets for Tucson, my family cannot see my face in this state. My mom would probably cry. I have thought of going tanning because I know it's quick and easy (for me to get clear) plus I am as white as a ghost, and I will have to wear shorts. Ughhhhh I won't though. Maybe a little fake tan. I can't imagine doing a mystic tan with my peeling sking right now. Gross.

Bobbi,

I'll try to remember you over here. As long as I'm updating my log, I won't forget!

That sucks that you have the oil slick/peeling skin combo. Ironic, isn't it.

I'm sure you'll look fine in May. Your skin has a way of great recoveries sometimes, right? :D

Your new enzyme peel should really, really help with the flakies. Mine saved my face yesterday!

I wonder why you are getting oily, though ... my oil seems to have utterly disappeared since I started with Green Cream. :think:

Bobbi,

I'll try to remember you over here. As long as I'm updating my log, I won't forget!

That sucks that you have the oil slick/peeling skin combo. Ironic, isn't it.

I'm sure you'll look fine in May. Your skin has a way of great recoveries sometimes, right? :D

Yes the oil slick/peeling combo is super fun, I guess it's better than dry skin along with the peeling.

My skin recovers fast for the most part, I'm just really concerned about the redmarks. That is what is making me look the worst.*** Fingers crossed***

Your new enzyme peel should really, really help with the flakies. Mine saved my face yesterday!

I wonder why you are getting oily, though ... my oil seems to have utterly disappeared since I started with Green Cream. :think:

I can't wait for it to get here.......it still hasn't shipped. :mad:

I don't know why I'm so oily but hopefully the GC will stop it eventually.

I have two good sized zits, one on my temple and one on my forehead. Don't think they are just the normal purging ones. I'm due any moment for my monthly visitor so I'm assuming that is the reason, even though I don't usually have that problem. :shrug:

My skin isn't peeling too bad today (never is the day after Retin A).

I decided to start using Retin A every night and attempt to use the GC6 in the morning. My reasoning is it will make these redmarks go away faster and hopefully get me through the purging quicker too. Since I have the goal of decent skin BY May 16th. If doing twice a day retinol kills my skin I will order the level 3 GC.

I really want my enzyme stuff to come now!!!!!!! I check on it a few times a day to see if it has shipped, no such luck.

I keep thinking about how my skin is going to react once I'm in AZ, normally when I'm down there my skin is FANTASTIC, it loves the dry weather. My oil slicks stop and I actually get a little dry, so with the already peeling skin I just don't know what it will be like. I better figure out if I like my new sunblock since I'm going to be needing plenty of it down there.

Oooh, good luck on trying Retin-A every night. I tried a few days ago, failed, and had to take a couple nights off. I'm trying again now, and with AHA added into my regimen I think it will work.

I noticed in your sig that you're using Vaseline to jessfoliate. What is your method for that? I found that jessfoliating with cleanser totally destroys my skin, and I was thinking about trying it with something gentler, although I couldn't think what. Maybe I will try Vaseline!

Oooh, good luck on trying Retin-A every night. I tried a few days ago, failed, and had to take a couple nights off. I'm trying again now, and with AHA added into my regimen I think it will work.

I noticed in your sig that you're using Vaseline to jessfoliate. What is your method for that? I found that jessfoliating with cleanser totally destroys my skin, and I was thinking about trying it with something gentler, although I couldn't think what. Maybe I will try Vaseline!

I used to use an AHA lotion but it made my skin burn and peel a lot initially so I'm scared to start up again even though I think it would help with all peeling eventually. :confused:

I just smear vaseline all over my face and use a manual toothbrush and gently go over my face for a good while. A lot of the time just smearing the vaseline on my face will get the dead skin balling up and coming off. I don't use my etoothcrush to do it because it gets clogged up with all goo to easily. You could use an oil too like emu or jojoba if you didn't want to use vaseline.

I used to use an AHA lotion but it made my skin burn and peel a lot initially so I'm scared to start up again even though I think it would help with all peeling eventually. :confused:

I just smear vaseline all over my face and use a manual toothbrush and gently go over my face for a good while. A lot of the time just smearing the vaseline on my face will get the dead skin balling up and coming off. I don't use my etoothcrush to do it because it gets clogged up with all goo to easily. You could use an oil too like emu or jojoba if you didn't want to use vaseline.

What type of AHA were you using? I've found that most lotions containing AHA make me burn (Eucerin, Neutrogena, etc.), because of the other ingredients in them, I think. What I've found is non-irritating and very effective is my 8% AHA cream (you can pick up a tub at Walgreens, or I think Alpha Hydrox has a similar product), which is very gentle. I've never experienced burning, or peeling ...in fact, I wouldn't even notice I'd applied it if it weren't for the flakes being magically gone in the morning!

I will have to try your method with the Vaseline next time I get bad flaking. Right now my face isn't bad at all, so I'm going to try to stay away from manual exfoliation (although the temptation is pretty strong, some days), because I know for the most part it just makes me worse. :(

I'm such a brat, I just couldn't wait for my Zia stuff that still hasn't shipped. I went on Amazon and ordered a sample pack that has both the things I ordered plus another mask, toner and a cleanser. It should be here Tuesday I figure. I seriously feel like a bratty two year old who want's their way **jumps up and down and pounds fists on thighs**

:D

What type of AHA were you using? I've found that most lotions containing AHA make me burn (Eucerin, Neutrogena, etc.), because of the other ingredients in them, I think. What I've found is non-irritating and very effective is my 8% AHA cream (you can pick up a tub at Walgreens, or I think Alpha Hydrox has a similar product), which is very gentle. I've never experienced burning, or peeling ...in fact, I wouldn't even notice I'd applied it if it weren't for the flakes being magically gone in the morning!

I will have to try your method with the Vaseline next time I get bad flaking. Right now my face isn't bad at all, so I'm going to try to stay away from manual exfoliation (although the temptation is pretty strong, some days), because I know for the most part it just makes me worse. :(

I was using Neutrogena, I will have look for the stuff you are using. We don't have Walgreens here but there is one in a town close by or I can always order online.

Night 2 of nightly Retin A-

No problems, other than peeling skin, as expected. Nothing too hideous.

I totally did not take into account I would need to wake up at least 30 minutes earlier if I wanted to use GC. So that didn't happen this morning.

I have a lot of gunk coming to the surface this morning. I only messed with the very obvious ones. I have a spot on both cheeks that are just full of clogged pores and one side is purging like crazy. I could see like 5 pores full of crap coming to the surface. blehhhh

I think I'm going to change my screne name to greaseball. I have blotted, oh, about 5x today. If the vitamin A wasn't sooooo drying to everything else on and in my body I would consider doing that again.

The zit on my temple is just about gone but the one on my forehead is huge. It' not big around just sticks out really far. I have a horn.

I'm such a brat, I just couldn't wait for my Zia stuff that still hasn't shipped. I went on Amazon and ordered a sample pack that has both the things I ordered plus another mask, toner and a cleanser. It should be here Tuesday I figure. I seriously feel like a bratty two year old who want's their way **jumps up and down and pounds fists on thighs**

I want it NOW!

NOW, I said!

Sounds like something I would do ...

Bobbi,

I know how you feel about wanting something in the mail now! I've been checking the mailbox every day for a week for these pants I ordered. I want to wear them to work, so I keep hoping they're there, and if not, I depressingly select a back-up pair. I really want to hear about how this enzyme stuff works.

Sorry about your horn. :evil: The good thing is that the horn stage usually doesn't seem to last more than a couple of days.

I want it NOW!

NOW, I said!

Sounds like something I would do ...

We are terribly spoiled. :razz:

Bobbi,

I know how you feel about wanting something in the mail now! I've been checking the mailbox every day for a week for these pants I ordered. I want to wear them to work, so I keep hoping they're there, and if not, I depressingly select a back-up pair. I really want to hear about how this enzyme stuff works.

Sorry about your horn. :evil: The good thing is that the horn stage usually doesn't seem to last more than a couple of days.

I swear they send stuff on the slow boat from China. grrrr the the mail system sucks.

I can't wait to try it either!! The exfol stuff has 100% approval rating on MUA and a lot of the posters use it to get rid of Retin A flakies so........

There is a pretty interesting article in the May issue of ELLE about a woman with acne who is a picker. Just wanted to share some of the stuff I found interesting and that pertains to certain people. First of all she has an awesome dermatologist, he actually looks at her face with a magnifying glass and tells her whys she is getting the pimples she's getting and explains all the different ones.

Quoting the magazine:

(Valerie, thought of you with this.) What is this thing that looks sort of like a pimple, but doesn't act like a pimple, and never goes away? "That is a cousin of acne called sebaceous hyperplasia. It's an overgrowth of the oil glands. I need to use the Smoothbeam laser to take care of that. Any time you over treat these glands it's possible to cause a depression in the skin." He then orders her to quit picking.

There is a book she mentions to help pickers quit. Skin Deep: A Mind/Body Program for Healthy Skin by Dr. Ted Grossbart he specializes in psychodermatology. It goes into a lot of details on his theories on why people pick. I might check this book out.

Another derm tells her BP is good for teen acne however, not as great for more complicated adult acne. She prescribes Retin A. She says it takes 6 to 8 weeks to even start working. "It takes that long to change the environment of sebaceous glands."

She then talks about all the products she has purchased and what her many derms think of them. One is the Clarisonic skin care brush (Queen) Both derms say it doesn't work any better than a wash cloth. Use your hands a mild cleanser and warm water. "You have to be gentle. Irritated skin makes more pimples. You don't want to be squeaky clean. You don't want to strip your skin of essential oils." hmmmmm I don't know, Jessfoliation got me almost 100% clear at one point.

Any way there is quite a bit more info, check it out if your interested. It is pretty funny to. At one point she says she put on a cone (like the ones dogs wear after a vet apt.) to keep her from picking. hahaha

That sounds like a great article, Bobbi! I love that derm! I wish I could find one like that...and afford it, too. I was prescribed retin-A in college before accutane, and I never understood it. The way I used it, I just got worse. I over-did it.

I like the "you don't want to be squeaky clean..." concept, that is so true for my sensitive skin. When I strip my skin, it gets worse! Hence, my current chin breakout... Thanks again!

..oh, I also like the "it takes 6-8 weeks to start working"...helps with the patience factor!

Very interesting article. My skin agrees with both those derms ...jessfoliation seems to irritate my skin. Maybe I just have sensitive skin, though, since it does seem to work for a lot of people.

Bobbi,

That does sound like me!! I swear I have that. Well, if I do, accutane should help shrink them up. Lasers are one thing I have not tried.

I agree that BP is not so good for adult acne. I used it when I was younger and it worked much better. Now, I have these weird formations on my face that aren't even normal acne.

You're somewhat of a picker, aren't you? When I gave that up, my skin got a lot better. I really used to wash off my makeup, and pick every tiny clogged pore and squeeze every imperfection. It is better about 95% of the time to leave it alone. Do you still have that derm appointment set? Hopefully your derm will be awesome like that!!

That sounds like a great article, Bobbi! I love that derm! I wish I could find one like that...and afford it, too. I was prescribed retin-A in college before accutane, and I never understood it. The way I used it, I just got worse. I over-did it.

I like the "you don't want to be squeaky clean..." concept, that is so true for my sensitive skin. When I strip my skin, it gets worse! Hence, my current chin breakout... Thanks again!

..oh, I also like the "it takes 6-8 weeks to start working"...helps with the patience factor!

Me too Pam, I doubt there is a derm that good any where near me so.....

Very interesting article. My skin agrees with both those derms ...jessfoliation seems to irritate my skin. Maybe I just have sensitive skin, though, since it does seem to work for a lot of people.

Jessfoliation worked really well for me for a short time and then my skin went to hell, I mean bad. I don't know if it had anything to do with it, I quit doing it for quite a while and kept having the same problems so I doubt it was the cause but who knows? Everyone's skin is different.

Bobbi,

That does sound like me!! I swear I have that. Well, if I do, accutane should help shrink them up. Lasers are one thing I have not tried.

I agree that BP is not so good for adult acne. I used it when I was younger and it worked much better. Now, I have these weird formations on my face that aren't even normal acne.

You're somewhat of a picker, aren't you? When I gave that up, my skin got a lot better. I really used to wash off my makeup, and pick every tiny clogged pore and squeeze every imperfection. It is better about 95% of the time to leave it alone. Do you still have that derm appointment set? Hopefully your derm will be awesome like that!!

I know I totally thought of you immediatly.

Yup I'm a picker. I have been trying to just leave everything alone unless it has a head on it or is very obviously poking out, like a hard plug sticking out. Those I just can't leave there for the world to see.

Yes derm apt. is for the 26th. I don't know what I will even want from hime at this point since Retin A is working so well. Maybe a script for the gel for since I hear it's better.

I got a notice in the mail today saying my Zia stuff has been discontinued and they deleted it from my order!!! So good thing I ordered samples. Discontinued my A$$. I can still get it off of Amazon and the Zia website is still selling it. :mad: :mad: