Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
amber75

SCARED TO DEATH OF MOISTURIZERS AND SUNSCREEN!

Hey everyone...I am battling my cystic adult acne and am having some success with using cetaphil, doryx, holistic/organic diet, yoga and finacea cream.

I am very sensitive to the sun right now due to the antibiotics(will discontinue after this bottle) so I know I need a suncreen but I am terrified of breaking out...same goes for a moisturizer.

I just am so afraid putting any other type of lotion on my face will be a disaster.

What products do any of you recommend??

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Hello! :D

I used to be scared to death of moisturisers, cos it seemed anything I put on my face caused me to break out. However, now I have started on Dans regime, I use Neutrogena oil free visibly clear moisturiser. It is the only one that hasn't give me a massive outbreak. However, I am switching to Eurecin moisturiser soon as this is supposed to be the best moisturiser EVER!!!!

i just went on vacay for a week, and had good results with Coppertone SPF 8. It's in a white bottle, with green writing and a black top. It's oil free and hypoallergenic. I've used it on my face for about 2 years now, and it doesn't seem like it causes breakouts. I also used Oil of Olay face lotion for Oily/Combo skin...it's SPF 15 and oil free, non-comedogenic, and all that other good stuff. As fat as higher SPFs go, i'm not sure...but i'm also paranoid of sunscreens, it took awhile before i would put anything on my face! Just make sure the sunscreen is oil free and doesnt feel greasy. The coppertone is nice and light.

I haven't yet found a moisturizer or sunscreen that doesn't seem to make me break out.

The physical sunscreens (vs chemical) seem to work better for my skin, so look for titanium dioxide, not oxybenzone, etc... those really made my face sting and break out.

Good luck! You're not alone. :wacko:

For moisturizing, I use Paula's Choice Skin Balancing Gel for normal to oily skin. Loaded with anti-oxidants and it doesn't make me break out. Once I'm finished with it, I will order one of Paula's newer products, the Skin Balancing Super Antioxidant Mattifying Concentrate, which also contains retinols.

When it comes to sunscreens, however, like most acne sufferers, I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. While nawillard points out that barrier sunscreens like titanium dioxide are less irritating than chemical ones, they have been proven to clog pores. Chemical sunscreens like avobenzone, on the other hand, are generally accepted to be non-comedogenic, but they can cause irritation.

I used to use Clinqiue's Superdefense Triple Action Moisturizer SPF 25, but switched to Neutrogena's Ultrasheer Dry Touch Sunblock 45 because it's less expensive and just as effective. But both are excellent, non-greasy formulations. And while they can on occasion irritate my skin (mostly when I've upped the BP because of breakouts), they have never caused breakouts.