Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
forbawston

for those who have had cortisone shots

i am considering getting cortisone shots for cysts that have been on my face for almost a half a year.

i'd say i've been patient.

i am on accutane. it's making it worse, if anything, and i'm two months down, ready to up the dosage.

i want the shots, but not the indent. however, i hear the longer the cyst is on your face, the better the chance is that it's going to indent.

i do not want to be patient with accutane, my prom is in a month. i'm not going with these things on my face, there is just no way. this is not how i pictured it. these cysts have altered my lifestyle and my personality. i am SICK OF THEM, i just DONT WANT BUMPS ANYMORE.

so just some random questions.

for those who have had them... have all of your indents filled in?

have you even had an indent from the shot?

how long before the cyst goes down? does it look like hell after the shot?

how long before you noticed the indent?

was the indent the size of your cyst?

so to anyone who wants to help, please do, i can't say how much i appreciate everyones help. i wouldn't go anywhere else for advice.

i am considering getting cortisone shots for cysts that have been on my face for almost a half a year.

i am on accutane. it's making it worse, if anything, and i'm two months down, ready to up the dosage.

i want the shots, but not the indent. however, i hear the longer the cyst is on your face, the better the chance is that it's going to indent.

i do not want to be patient with accutane, my prom is in a month. i'm not going with these things on my face, there is just no way. this is not how i pictured it. these cysts have altered my lifestyle and my personality. i am SICK OF THEM, i just DONT WANT BUMPS ANYMORE.

so to anyone who wants to help, please do, i can't say how much i appreciate everyones help. i wouldn't go anywhere else for advice.

I have gotten cortisone shots many times they work great for me and are fast and painless...i definitly reccommed it

I have gotten cortisone shots many times they work great for me and are fast and painless...i definitly reccommed it

Also all the times that i have gotten them i was never left with an indent and they go away fast within 24 hours for me i usually put a little ice pack on it after i get the shot..

I've been getting cysts injected for several years and I have only had one this past January that left a small indent and the skin there is slightly darker than the rest of my face. Considering I currently have a huge icepick scar that is still healing and very dark from one I picked at first and then I let go to long before I had it injected, I would take the chance of the small indentation anyday!

The injections are painless and I find if I get right into the derm as soon as I feel the deep pain of a new cyst, it is gone within 24 hours with no scarring!

I got one for the first time on thursday. I've had two cysts scar before, and I am on accutane now for one month so far.

When they gave the shot, it hurt.

It felt less pressurized by the end of the day.

It is considerably smaller today.

It'll probably be gone tomorrow.

The cyst never got worse after the shot, only better.

I thought the point of getting shots was to prevent the indentation. Why would you get it if it caused them?

I have had cortisone shots and the cysts generally go down with in 24 hours. I havn't had any indentation. I also had a shot in the beginning of my accutane course and that cyst is gone without a trace. Good Luck!!

Ang

Yep. Completely.

I had two shots, one leaving a terribly deep indentation

About 12-24 hours for me. It's not supposed to take over 72 hours. Afterwards, it was red and had a small opening, probably from where the needle went. It definitely didn't look any worse afterwards.

About 2 weeks before it got bad, and it continued to get worse for a month.

It's hard to say beause it was under my skin. I don't think there is a relation to cyst size, just to how deeply they inject it.

**After I lived with a freaking dent for a couple of months, it filled in. The day it completely filled in, the cyst came back. I found freezing it off to be a better option for me.

I've had many cyst injections over the years ( I am 42) and I have only had 2 that really sunk in badly and stayed that way for over a month....the last one that sunk in never really fully popped back out, but that may also be due to my age and the natural decline of collagen. If you are young ( and I"m thinking you are since you are talking about prom) then I think it's fine to get it injected.....

It doesn't really hurt except some slight pressure and a little redness afterwards, that fades after a couple of hours. It usually goes down within 24 hours....If you are worried about indentation, you could also ask the derm to use the lowest dose of cortisone possible.....

and bottom line, they can always use a dermal filler, like restaylne, if the indentation is really bothering you, although this is very pricey...Again, given how young you are, I think it'll be fine.....

good luck!

I got a cortisone shot yesterday evening, on a cystic zit i've had for a couple months... I had no idea there was a risk of "indentation", although i'm not very certain what that entails.

In any case, it's been 18 hours now, and it definitely looks smaller... although I'll give it another 12-36 hours to shrink away to nothing. :P

Personally I've only had one shot and it did indent, its taken it about 4 months to go away but it does seem to be refilling with collagen or whatever. Today though I had 4 cysts "shot", so far they've shrunk about 50 percent in about 8 hours, I'll update if these too indent, although I asked the doc to use less cortisone.

i have actually jus gotten 7 shots in my face this morning. im happy i can cover them with makeup and im looking forward to them going down! idk i think its different with everyone. but best bet is to just get the shot. ill tell you tommorow how they are..

i just got my cortisone shots injected today. its amazing. i suggest it if u need a quick fix. ur acne will subside by the next day i almost can guarantee it.

Edited by jenko

i've had so many i can't even count. at first, they were great.

then they started to become less effective.. took longer to look better, and cyst would only reduce like 50%, some not at all.

and before reading this, i had NO idea there was risk of indentation...

that explains a lot...

like i said, at first, everything was fine. no indents.

now i have indents all over my face. it sucks. looks like i have 100x the acne that i actually do.

i'm a HUGE advocate of cortisone shots! so i just had to reply to this. over the years i've probably gotten a couple dozen. i became to rely on them actually because they gave me such great results.

i'm not really sure what you mean by 'indent'... i don't think this happens very often, and from my understanding it only happens if your derma injects too much cortisone (along with other reasons maybe i guess) but if you have a good derma hopefully you won't have this problem. i NEVER got an indentation.

cysts don't look like hell after they've gotten injected. it might look a little redder i guess. sometimes mine bled a tiny bit. but you can hardly even see the hole the needle caused, the syringe is so thin. mine always started to go down immediately. like i would wake up the next morning and it would be almost flat.

i'm not sure how your derma feels about injecting you while on accutane, but i remember mine was hesitant. she said that you should just leave them alone and let accutane do its thing (plus while on accutane everything takes longer to heal), but she did end up injecting me a couple times during my accutane course and there was no problems.

if you do end up getting injected, DON'T put anything on it after (like a spot treatment or cream).

Edited by sophiena1143

I got 3 cortisone shots in Dec 2010 and it did not hurt. It went down pretty fast - like in about 3-4 days, only one spot leaving horrible, big indent. Its like a sinked in spot, little darker and shows really bad in most of my pictures, I am really upset I had a cortisone shots and I would never do it again, maybe just for a small cyst. My cyst that left a scar was really big, on forehead. My 2nd cysts went away really fast but the 3rd one, it was really deep, didnt even go away, sometimes I still feel it little, its very deep. Btw, I am not sure my scar will go away, its been 8 months and its still there. I talked to my esthetician about it and she said there is nothing I can do, except try collagen or smth.. not sure how its called, but even then it will be just temporary.

I regret my shots.

My worst scars are from kenalog injections. While they have filled some, they r still there.

Also, no matter what, never failed, a core still had to come out at some point. So, while the pain and swelling go down, there is still crap in there that needs to come out.

Only for extreme spots would I ever consider getting another shot.

just get the shot. any denting will fill in eventually. having a painful cyst and having to cover it with make up is worse than having to dab a little concealer on a spot. just my opinion. i've had my 2 cysts injected 7 times each and do not have horrible denting. the last shot i got on friday was stronger so we'll see how this pans out. the first (bigger) cyst on my cheek i left go for over 6 months before going to the derm and it only gets darker for a few days after the swelling and eventually gets lighter as collagen and skin cells regrow. taking vitamin c helps collagen production and may speed up any temporary dents.

they look puffy/more red for the first 24 hours, they are usually fine when i get up the next morning. either way, with the cysts you have already, if they 'heal' on their own, you have a risk of deep scarring too. the longer the infection persists (since that IS what it is in there) the more scarring is possible. let em poke you! or do what i will do as my last/next option, he will just nick the skin and drain any infection out and clean. yes, a higher risk of a little scar but thems' the breaks..

I got one for the first time on thursday. I've had two cysts scar before, and I am on accutane now for one month so far.

When they gave the shot, it hurt.

It felt less pressurized by the end of the day.

It is considerably smaller today.

It'll probably be gone tomorrow.

The cyst never got worse after the shot, only better.

I thought the point of getting shots was to prevent the indentation. Why would you get it if it caused them?

cortisone shots reduce inflammation by causing the tissue to atrophy, which is why you can get a dent. the shot is not to prevent the indentation, it is to reduce the swelling/infection in the cyst. collagen will eventually rebuild in the dent, but may not always fill completely.