Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Stephen*

What was that site that showed the Comedogenic Ingredients?

just wanted to ask if any1 has that link to see what ingredients are comedogenic

need to check a few products...thanx

You'll want to take these "lists" with a grain of salt. Comedogenic studies are usually done on the ears of albino rabbits in 100% strength. We're not rabbits first of all, and second of all, the percentage of many of these listed ingredients is tiny in the products we buy. In general, what I've gathered from the talks I've had with chemists and skin care professionals is that as long as you're buying a name brand and they specifically claim that their product is non-comedogenic, you should be pretty safe. Large manufacturers will not make claims like that willy nilly because they have too much at stake.

You'll want to take these "lists" with a grain of salt. Comedogenic studies are usually done on the ears of albino rabbits in 100% strength. We're not rabbits first of all, and second of all, the percentage of many of these listed ingredients is tiny in the products we buy. In general, what I've gathered from the talks I've had with chemists and skin care professionals is that as long as you're buying a name brand and they specifically claim that their product is non-comedogenic, you should be pretty safe. Large manufacturers will not make claims like that willy nilly because they have too much at stake.

i agree with dan. and the product is tested as a whole, not the individual ingrediants.

its just my "simple rich replenishing moistursier" seems to be breaking me out.

i checked that site up there and my moistuiser has about 7 ingredients that are comedogenic. explains the breakouts.

i have mild acne, its just the marks that annoy me.

just wanted to ask if any1 has that link to see what ingredients are comedogenic

need to check a few products...thanx

Go to www.zerozits.com/Articles/acnedetect.htm for a list of comedogenic ingredients. Contrary to what Dan says, big companies do make the claim that their products are non-comedogenic because for the studies that they conduct they either use rabbits or humans that are not acne prone (because an acne prone test subject would "confound" their results). When they test their products on people who are not acne prone, the results will show that the product is non-comedogenic. As most of us know, our lucky non-acne prone friends don't get acne no matter what they put on their skin! Therefore if a product claims to be non-comedogenic it may be comedogenic to us acne prone people. Checking the ingredients in my cleanser, moisturizer and cosmetics has helped to reduce my acne more than any other single thing that I do for my skin. Hope this helps everyone.

P.S. For anyone who uses cosmetics there is a list of truly non-comedogenic cosmetics (concealers, foundations etc) at

www.zerozits.com/SafeCosmetics/Safecosmetics.htm