Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MIKEY889267

Accutane: does it stunt growth?

I read on the net that one side effect of accutane is premeature epiphyseal plate closure ( stunted growth)

I'm 18 and I dunno if I have reached my full height yet.....I'm taking accutane (my 3rd month)

I'm just worried. IS it an EXPECTED GUARANTEE that my epiphyseal plates might close early???

God no.....hope this is a rare side effect.

Im so depressed.....I can't believe acne could ruin everything even my HEIGHT!!!

Please..someone tell me this is a RARE MINOR side effect....

There are some anecdotal reports of this, but as far as i know, it's never shown up in the clinical studies. Which means that if it really happens, it's exceedingly rare. I wouldn't worry about it.

I am convinced accutane stunted my growth, I took it when I was 13, and never grew too much after. I actually had x-rays taken cuz i dislocated my elbow right before i took accutane and then had some takena fterwards, and the doctor told me that the plates had closed up. So I don't feel i ever reached my full potential height. My dad is 6'2 and my mom 5'6 and I am 5'11. So who knows. But I would not take accutane if I expected to grow some more

i took accutane when i was 14 and i stopped growing then. i was one of the tallest people, now i am fairly average, about 6 foot.

i took accutane when i was 14 and i stopped growing then. i was one of the tallest people, now i am fairly average, about 6 foot.

I was 6'3" when I was 14 and haven't grown since, but it had nothing to do with accutane, which I didn't take until I was 17. I've never heard of this stunting growth.

If you're taking Flonase, though, that can stunt your growth. My sister stopped growing while she was on it, and then started growing again when she came off. So at least it isn't a permanent effect.

even if it does, im 6'2 at 15 years old, so i dont really mind not growing anymore. I hate playing center on the basketball team so maybe if i stop growing ill get to play small forward!!