Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
heidi55

Needling worked for my big depressed scar

Hi I just wanted to yell from the top of my lunges that I have had success on my most troubling scar!! Now I have over 50 odd scars on my face but the most troublesome has been a scar on my left cheek that is the direct result of a huge cyst. The scar is the size of a dime or a five pence piece. The problem was it that is was really depressed and really red and for some reason it caused a red line to run from the center of the scar across my cheek (a good inch long). It is very hard to describe. Dr Chu said it was hard to explain what happened. Basically he said it was tissue loss and my red blood cells needed to reogranise. That is the best explanation I got. All other doctors just said it was acne scarring. Anyway, I have had two dermabrasions (DR Y), five sets of subsiscion (CHU), six sets of isolagen (heavily concentrated on that scar by CHU) and no results on that scar. none. I believe all those treatments helped my other scars to some degree but not this big one.

I also had consults for IPL and one doctor told me he wouldnt touch me cause he thought it could get worse. I had one IPL treatment and opted to be safe rather than sorry. I couldnt hide the redness under makeup. Dermablend, Perscriptives camouflage none of it helped. And it was soo depressing to look at. Imagine a red whole with a red line running across your face. AHHHH

Anyway, I am currently receiving TCA from Dr Chu and three weeks ago he needled the scar just for the hell of it. I mean we have tried everything else, right? Anyway, the redness is still there but it has gone down by atleast 50% and to date the scar is still level. It is not perfect but I am pleased with the results. You can still see the outline of the scar (I guess this is the scar tissue) but it is not depressed. The results have dramatically altered my side view. It is amazing.

I am still waiting for the results from TCA. I have had three so far and nothing to write about yet...

Hope this helps

Heidi

Guest Marino
Anyway, I have had two dermabrasions (DR Y), five sets of subsiscion (CHU), six sets of isolagen (heavily concentrated on that scar by CHU) and no results on that scar

GREAT HORNY TOADS! thats ALOTA douche to be blowing on scaring, i'd expect to have 100 percent flawless skin for that price tag.

Good to hear about your needling experiance, sometimes the most simple treatments can be the most suitable and reliable. Its been 3 weeks so i assume any initial sweeling has gone down by now. I also did scaring on a rather large wide pox scar of myn about 5-6 days ago. The redness disapeared yesturday night i believe. Perhaps you scar needs more time given its size and deepness [myn is rather shallow].

Needling is one of those things which simply 'chip away' at the scar, i strongly recomend you contiue having it needled in 6 week intervals, heck- try a tatoo gun, they can do hundreads of piercings within a second. I also recomend you try needling on your other scars, as your body seems to repsond well.

take care

P.S: dont waste your money on IPL for indented scaring, lol- it does nothing.

Actually I'm not at all surprised, needling works wonders for me also.

The greatest improvement I got on my biggest scar, I did needling my self 4 times 5-6 weeks apart. Now I rest for 2 months, but the skin kept on regenerating, and I have at least 50% improvement so far on my biggest scar. :D

Other scars are much smaller so it's not easy to evaluate improvement, but they look smoother and more shallow.

Love you all, guys

Maja

Heidi -

I did a series of 4 ipl treatments to help with the redness from two dermabrasions, excisions and 3 subscisions. They left me with redness from broken blood vessels. It did a great job and I was pleased with the results. The IPL did nothing for the scars that are left but the redness was dramatically lessened.

Glad to hear of your success and take care.

Dan

I'm glad to hear you sounding so pleased with your results, Heidi!

I am curious, though - did Dr Chu actually do 'needling'? When I spoke to his registrar about it 2 weeks ago, telling her about my needling treatment, she hadn't heard of it, so it didn't sound to me like Dr Chu was performing it.

What procedure did he follow with your needling?

I wonder if this means he's going to start doing needling on the NHS? :think:

Rossingol: Yes, it was needling. . I have been seeing him for three years now and this was the first time he offered it to me. Like subsiscion, he numbed the area and then he needled. it took maybe three minutes. I am getting TCA cross as well. Next time, he said we can do more needling since I reacted so positively. I see Dr Chu every six weeks for TCA. Next time will be my fourth TCA. I am a private patient but I believe everything he does is offered on both the NHS and privately.

Dan T thanks for the info!

heidi, you said you see Dr Chu for your TCA's, is that regular TCA peels or for TCA CROSSing? if its for the CROSS, how many times have you got it done? thanks

Hi Heidi ;)

I've opted to stay away from 'big' procedures for a while and I've been needling, peeling and using copper peptides for a year now. What I'm finding is that my skin is much healthier now than it was after i had more extreme procedures. I still have several scars that are way too noticeable for comfort, but I honestly think that it pays in the long run to take a break from the extreme stuff and get your skin healthy again. I'm not ruling out a big procedure in the future, but I honestly think its good to take a break (as hard as not having the 'solution' treatment you can buy asap). Thanks for sharing your honest opinion from all your procedures - there is definitely something to needling that's for sure!

hugs

:)

Heidi -

Glad to hear of your continuing success. As I mentioned before, I had IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) for redness and it was a great success on my skin. I just wanted to clarify that it was Intense Pulsed Light or Photo Facial since there is also some type of laser treatment that is also called IPL that I know nothing about.

I had much redness from broken blood vessels from numerous treatments and the Intense Pulsed Light did a fantastic job. I was a bit pissed that my dr. did not tell me about it sooner so I was left to suffer with it until I asked the question.

Take care,

Dan

i gotta say i have needles my scars twice, no less than 1 month apart, just 3 particular ones to have a comparison with the others. and i have to say that they are filling in and no its not swelling. so for those that are curious should try needling.

i did self needling wiht 30G needles, jackhammer style to cover each surface of the scar. use neosporin for a few days and emu oil. after scab falls off i use tazorac .05%.

i think everyone should try it on one of your scars and see if its any good. i mean its cheap and can be done at home. but one downside is the redness, which will fade about 1 month, maybe more depending on the agressiveness of the needling.

I just wanted to add that Dr Chu didnt give me any "instructions" on after care for needling. Also my scar didnt scab. It was just red, really red and the area around the scar bruised. I applied Amino plex and then arnica for the bruising.

look up...lancet 30G needles. at places like drugstore.com or whatevers. they should be like 14 bucks for 200. around that price range. anything more is a rip off.

whatever part you needle should scab and swell up and turn really red for about close to a week. though you can hardly see the scab because its so tiny, but they are there. and after that the redness fades slowly.

o yea dont overwash the area you have needles. and in using too much pressure or doing any type of exfoliation after needling the scars. ratin-a or tazorac should be fine because they preoduce collagen, so any collagen produing topical you can use a few days after you have needled.

i think that answered soem questions.

i gotta say i have needles my scars twice, no less than 1 month apart, just 3 particular ones to have a comparison with the others. and i have to say that they are filling in and no its not swelling. so for those that are curious should try needling.

i did self needling wiht 30G needles, jackhammer style to cover each surface of the scar. use neosporin for a few days and emu oil. after scab falls off i use tazorac .05%.

i think everyone should try it on one of your scars and see if its any good. i mean its cheap and can be done at home. but one downside is the redness, which will fade about 1 month, maybe more depending on the agressiveness of the needling.

sorry to ask, but what's "Jackhammer style"? :redface:

I tried to needle some of my scars yesterday, didn't hear the pop sound, just saw blood.

By the way, should I needle at 90degrees or 45 degrees? I don't know how deep I should go so I was a little reserved while doing my scars, and I didn't get any swelling.

Most of my scars are wide rolling scars and some boxscars. One of my rolling scars is 5mm in diameter, then should I needle the whole area?

and who is dr. chu? he wouldn't happen to be in california would he?

Dr Chu is a derm and he's based in london at the hammersmith hospital.

When i do self needling i get bathed everyday so the redness fades quicker.What i do is keep my head underwater for 5 mins,just leave my nose out of water so i can breath.

I think this fades the redness quicker,is this ok to do or shouldn't i do this?

I mentioned needling to Dr Chu the last time i saw him in febuary this year and he said needling wouldn't be helpfull and it could make scars worse,i will chase this up with him again when i see im on 28/6/06.

I mentioned needling to Dr Chu the last time i saw him in febuary this year and he said needling wouldn't be helpfull and it could make scars worse,i will chase this up with him again when i see im on 28/6/06.

I really really hope this isn't true. Needling is my hope right now and I believe it's helping. When you see this guy see if you can get some explanation to why he thinks that. I would really like to understand his logic. If you remember to of course. Thanks.

Heidi, Do you live in the U.K? i thought i was the only mad one to travel from the U.K to America for dermabrasion, but it would appear i'm not. Congrats on the improvement from the needling by the way!